Start by marking “Owning It: Stories About Teens with Disabilities” as Want to Read:
Owning It: Stories About Teens with Disabilities

Owning It: Stories About Teens with Disabilities

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
From an acclaimed anthologist, a stellar collection of stories about teens with disabilities — and the tenacity, spirit, and humor that drive them.

Chris Crutcher takes us on a wild ride through the mind of a teen with ADD, while David Lubar’s protagonist gets a sobering lesson from his friends. In Gail Giles’s tale, Brad can’t help barking at his classmates but finds under
Published September 28th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published February 26th 2008)

Colin
God. This book was a disappointment. First, let me say the two good things about it--one, I haven't seen any other book like this out there and two, the editor did a really good job of including stories about invisibly disabled teens that were dealing with a lot of different issues that often aren't seen as part of the disability community: cancer, alcoholism, fat oppression, adhd, migraines...so that was cool. However. Even though there are several well-known YA authors in this book (some of wh ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
An outstanding collection of short stories about teens dealing with various disabilities, including alcoholism, cancer, blindness, obesity, asthma, ADD, severe migraines (that was painful to read!), brain damage/poor short-term memory, Tourette Syndrome, and inability to walk/wheelchair-bound. The only story I didn't like was the last one by Robert Lipsyte, about the boy in the hospital for cancer. I learned something about the conditions described from every one of the stories. My favorites wer ...more
Mia
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent mix of short stories covering various disabilities and illnesses. There were some stories that veered a little too close to the "show and tell and explain" didacticism that disability-related fiction (written by nondisabled authors) can hit -- the Life Time Movie/After-School Special model -- but there were others that rang true to me as a real attempt to get into the heads, hearts and lives of kids living with disabilities. I was dismayed not to notice any authors who self-identified a ...more
Leigh
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Series of very short stories about teenagers coping with personal difficulties such as blindness, ADHD, Tourette's and so on. The stories were very short, and all of them end on a positive, hopeful note.
crystalibrary
I agree with others who have reviewed this book- pretty disappointing. Great premise but the execution was quite poor. I felt like some of the writing wasn't polished, or it felt unfinished. Perhaps because it is based on American teen experiences? I couldn't really relate to the characters (and this isn't even taking into consideration relating to characters with disabilities that I am not very familiar with) Even the supporting characterisation in some of the stories was very poor.

Having said
Zoie
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-lit
I read this story called "Tic and Shout" in this book. It was a story about a boy with Tourette Syndrome (who knew it was spelled that way). A breath of fresh air after all of the stupid yelling swear-words stereotypes we usually hear, "Tic and Shout" showed the serious side of the syndrome and the difficulties involved with it.

I liked this a lot. It wasn't suspenseful or funny. It was just nice. I wouldn't make fun of someone with Tourette Syndrome before, but I probably wouldn't do a ton to se
Int'l librarian
Anthologies need stories that stand out, but it’s hard to identify any favorites here. Robert Lypsite’s view into a cancer ward comes closest. I also liked “See You” by Kathleen Jeffrine Johnson. Other than that, Gallo’s editor’s notes are the biggest highlights. The rest of the stories are either too flat, or abrupt, or obvious, or all of the above.

One other point – Gallo has an extended view of disability. In addition to cancer, there’s a teen alcoholic, a girl who suffers from migraines, and
Molly
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I was very disappointed in this collection. I was excited to read it because there are very few books out there that depict teens with disabilities and the stories are by top notch authors, but I found them to be overly didactic and preachy. As a person with a disability myself, I am feel very upset with books about people with disabilities that solely seek to teach and fail to depict them as people first. I'm not saying all the stories in this collection are that way, but as a whole the collect ...more
Taylor Brown
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, if I was just rating the quality of the stories, it'd get a 5. However, it's kind of false advertising in the title. Many if not most of the stories are about people with illnesses, not disabilities. If it had said illnesses and disabilities, I may have given it 5 stars, or 10 on a full scale. As it is, I'd say a 4.5 since I was seeking truely disability focused stories.
I really liked the stories, though. I downloaded many books on the grounds of I liked the authors of their respectiv
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm more of a novel reader, but this book nicely laid out the perspectives of students with disabilities, highlighting the various situations and emotions students with disabilities may run into that people who don't have this disability might not consider a factor. It really helped me to see the world through their perspective and allowed me to feel more empathy and acceptance for people dealing with disabilities, especially in close communities like a classroom setting.
Kris
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suitable for gr. 6-12, probably would make more of an impact in high school. A couple of the stories were a bit gritty, but not inappropriate for middle school. Ten stories by well-known authors describe, in very realistic terms, the lives of disabled teens without preaching for the most part. Disabilities range from Tourette’s Syndrome to blindness to obesity to brain damage, alcoholism and more. Highly recommended, especially for high school.
Claire Scott
So many wonderful authors -- authors whose work I respect and really, really enjoy -- writing such mediocre short stories. Oof. Most of these stories were stilted, preachy, issue-ridden, and seemed not all that well-informed. Maybe if I'd been a teen without any knowledge of disability stuff I would have found it eye-opening? As an adult with a background in the disability community who knows how talented these authors are, I was pretty disappointed.

Paige
A collection of short stories written for the point of view of teens with various disabilities. I would not just hand it to a teenager, but it would give some teenagers someone to identify with. I found it awakening to "see" things from the teenagers point of view; hopefully it can help with some of my special ones.
Brian Williams
I like this collection. I thought it was really nice that they went for a broader than normal approach to what a disability is, dealing with many issues teens face but I was disappointed the cover was so dull, boring, generic, and without any brave nature to it. It just looked like any YA cover and lets face it, most YA covers are pretty boring and generic.
Megan
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited about this book because I work with elementary school children with disabilities. I was a little disappointed though in the stories. Not all of the children had true disabilities and it didn't give very good descriptions of the actual disabilities they do cover.
Michele
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disability-rights, ya
Great book! Perfect for teens or for anyone that works with teens. Everyone can relate to the stories in the book, since much of it has to do with the high school need to belong, fit in, be accepted. I highly recommend this.
Jael
Jul 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting
Ms. K-M
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all have our burdens to bear. . . everything from ADHD or asthma to paraplegia or cancer. But we all have a choice: you can let your troubles own you, or you can own them.
Emma Christophersen
I Like how it explains how the disabilities with characters.
Thorn MotherIssues
Feb 23, 2010
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-for-school
This book had potential, but some of the stories were flimsy. Disappointing.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • King of the Pygmies
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • Free?: Stories About Human Rights
  • One Death, Nine Stories
  • Straw House, Wood House, Brick House, Blow
  • Exposure (Paul Faustino, #3)
  • New Found Land: Lewis and Clark's Voyage of Discovery
  • Formerly Shark Girl (Shark Girl, #2)
  • 13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
  • Disguised: A Wartime Memoir
  • It's Complicated: The American Teenager
  • Zap: A Play
  • Down Sand Mountain
"Stories about journeys have interested readers since the beginning of language," says Donald R. Gallo of DESTINATION UNEXPECTED, his critically acclaimed anthology of short stories by prominent writers of young adult fiction. "Arriving at the destination is the goal, certainly, but the experiences during the journey itself are what transform the character. The most important experiences are often ...more
More about Donald R. Gallo...