Start by marking “Day of the Assassins: A Jack Christie Adventure” as Want to Read:
Day of the Assassins: A Jack Christie Adventure

Day of the Assassins: A Jack Christie Adventure (Jack Christie Adventure #1)

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"Within the first suspenseful pages, readers will find an engaging historical/science fiction tale that has intrigue, danger, and a little romance. . . . From an explosive escape out of captivity to a muchanticipated scene that decides the fate of World War I, the end of the book has plenty of action." —SCHOOL LUBRARY JOURNAL

Jack Christie and his best friend, Angus, find t
Published August 10th 2010 by Templar (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Day of the Assassins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day of the Assassins

Mark Barrett
This really is only for the WWI history buffs out there. It is all adventure and escapism, but interspersed with a little too much of the author showing off his knowledge and research. The fact that two of the characters are professors and one is a military weapons fanatic gives him ample opportunity to do this.

The main protagonist - the Jack Christie of the title - is a bit too bland and whingey to really catch anyone's interest. And we all know, if you're not interested in the protagonist...

S
Maria Schillinger
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always been a fan of books about time travel. This book did not disappoint. I like how the author not only has the protagonists travel back in time, but he also has them considering the ramifications to any alterations that they may make.
Jason
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book, The book was awesome. I liked it because of the action
Melissa
I love history but I am not the intended audience for this book either. I think young boys would probably really enjoy this book. I enjoyed the idea of the book and thought it was an ok book but I wasn't blown away.

It did seem a bit rushed in spots that I felt more time should have been taken and dragged where I thought it could have shined.

Lyrical
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to come straight out with it an say that my history knowledge is embarrassingly bad. When I was a school, history was the lesson for catching up on sleep, exploring the artistic merit of the doodle and praying something exciting would go past the window. Needless to say I dropped the subject as soon as I could but when you’re a kid you’re looking toward the future, it’s hard to get excited about what happened hundreds of years ago.

That’s why I was so pleased when I read Day of the Assa
Zoe
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the publisher e-mailed me asking to review this book I didn't hesitate! I love history in books and this seemed like the perfect way to put it. Jack and his friend Angus find a time machine, the Taurus, and are thrown back to World War One. Think of it as a modern adventure in history!

The author has developed some really good ideas in this novel, I really liked how he threaded the brilliant ideas together. The whole aspect of the time machine is ingenious - you can only go when the little l
Saleena Davidson
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Day of the Assassins is one of my "have to read" books, but I have to admit it wasn't anything like what I expected. I avoided it for a long while thinking it was just another war story, but in fact it's sort of a Harry Turtledove for teens (Turtledove writes almost exclusively historical fantasy books, sort of playing what if through the ages....what if Germany won WWII, what if we lost the Revolutionary War, etc) The main character Jack finds a time machine (which was the first I knew I was in ...more
Ms. Patterson
Jack and his best friend, Angus, become embroiled in a plot to use a time travel machine to prevent Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination, thus preventing World War I from taking place. Seems like a crazy plot, doesn't it? Well, that's exactly what happens in Day of the Assassins when Jack learns that his father has built the machine with some fellow scientists. Only to complicate it further, a rival group of travelers want to prevent Jack's dad and his cohorts from changing history. Jack and ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Jack Christie lives with his mom in Scotland; who knows where his father is. He left when Jack was four years old. Jack is now 15 and enjoys school (sometimes) and playing Point-of-Departure, a WWI video game, with his best friend Angus. After a series of strange events – Jack’s dad sends him a history book for his birthday, Jack keeps dreaming his is in a foxhole facing a German soldier, Jack and Angus discover a hidden workshop in his basement, the school janitors try to shoot them, and their ...more
Erin (Bookish in a Box)
This is one of those books that I recognize as a good book but that I just could not get into. Because I recognize it as such, I would still recommend to a certain group of people, likely pre-teen or teenage boys.

The main character, Jack, is very likable, with a good head on his shoulders and a positive sense of self. His best friend Angust rubbed me the wrong way for the first half of the book but started to win me over as his maturity progressed throughout the novel.

The conspiracy/secrecy asp
Becky
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this one more. In fact, I was hoping to love it. I love history and love the premise of time travel in my fiction. Jack and his friend Angus are somewhat unlikely time travelers. Though, in a way, they've been preparing for it to a certain degree. Jack has a decided interest in a video game, "Point of Departure" about World War I. The game has levels, of course as you'd expect, and players can try to change history, etc. Angus enjoys the game, too. And one day while they are pla ...more
Sharon Martin
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first instalment, Jack and his friend Angus not only discover the time machine, they are transported back to 1914, to try and stop the assassination of the Archduke Franz Joseph and therefore stopping World War I and changing the course of history. Jack discovers on the trip why his dad left him - he is working for the revisionists. On the trip Jack realises that he needs to make a decision - does he stop the assassination and change not only history but his own existence, or does he let ...more
Devin
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I didn't know if I would of liked it or not. But then when I started to read it some more I got more into the book. Personally I really liked it, and I do recommend it to anyone thats looking for action along with some history. I would recommend it because I'm not much of a book guy and I was intrigued by this book. It's never dull, and you can learn about history in World War II as well. I liked this book because even though I dont read very much I still enjoyed this book because it i ...more
Darren Shidler
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty good, if you like history and reading about World War one. There is a good amount of action going on throughout the story. It goes into description on lots of things, such as military weaponry and other miscellaneous objects. I wasn’t sure how this book was going to turn out, it seemed very interesting in the beginning, then got kind of boring, then interesting again. The book becomes interesting after the first couple chapters, so hang in there if you’re going to read it.

I
Avi Prajapati
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Day of the Assassins is a book about two boys who go on an adventure to the year of 1914. They time travel back to 1914 on a mission to prevent World War I from happening. They have to do this by preventing the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. They encounter many issues along their journey and that is what really makes this book interesting. I thought that this book was a good read and kept me most of the time highly engaged. Based on what I have read, this book is more for the people ...more
Jeff Raymond
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-ya-sci-fi
I wish I had a lot of good things to say about this, but I don't. The action is slow coming, the time travel aspect rough, and the alternate history idea neat but not handled great. I can't honestly tell if this was a problem of the book not being what I wanted or the book not being what it should have been.
Harry
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Dianna
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
I'm definitely not the books intended audience (though I do have an interest in World War I). It's an interesting enough time-travel book, but not up to the usual standards of genre. It doesn't handle the question of causality or the very important question of how to handle modern day technology in the past.
Pob
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. The best book I've ever read!
Note: Some people are reviewing this book with scepticism, even though they are not in the target audience. This is nonsense! For any 9-14 year old, this book is perfect, and fits in the history course too!
Patricia
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
Good time-travel action adventure book for younger teen boys- two boys are sent back in time to stop the assassination that sets off the horror of World War I- but when they get there, they begin to wonder if that's the right thing to do, as it will change the course of history...
Pat Atteberry
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
For some reason this book took me forever to get though, but I did enjoy it. I actually am hoping it will do well and there will be more in the series.
Joanne
Dec 20, 2013
Toni
Nov 03, 2013
Daniel Brown
Kind of a letdown. It started off as a promising story, but fizzled out.
Ann
Jul 27, 2013
Athenee
Jul 27, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Johnny O’Brien was born in Edinburgh and studied history at Cambridge University. He got the idea for DAY OF THE ASSASSINS when he came across his grandfather’s medals from World War I. He lives in Surrey, England, with his family.
More about Johnny O'Brien...

Jack Christie Adventure (3 books)
  • Day of Deliverance: A Jack Christie Adventure