Start by marking “Me and My Cat?” as Want to Read:
Me and My Cat?

Me and My Cat?

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Late one night, an old lady in a pointed hat climbs through the window into Nicholas' bedroom. She brandishes her broom, fires out some words, and then leaves as abruptly as she came. It's puzzling at the time, but not nearly as puzzling as what happens the next day! Winner of the Smarties Silver Award, this is one of Satoshi Kitamura's funniest and most popular picture bo ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Andersen Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Me and My Cat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and My Cat?

Steph
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute and just like freaky Friday for kids LOL
Alexander Ayala
3.5

Una historia muy divertida y graciosa, con dibujos bastante agradables que te permiten completar de una forma estupenda lo que se está leyendo.
Muy rápido de leer y muy agradable para pasar 5 minutos cómicos y emocionantes.
Me agrada que las ilustraciones estén muy detalladas y cuiden cada cosa.
Sin embargo siento que solo me pareció tierno, pero no entrañable ni original, pero si lo recomiendo a un público más infantil.
Sarah Finley
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book online at Storyline Online and it was read by Elijah Wood. The illustrations in the video were very cartoon-like and fun. The illustrations used natural colors, everything was the color that you would expect it to be in real life. The book seems to be for more experienced readers because there are some difficult words in the book. I think that the book is really realistic besides the fact that the boy and cat switch places, but the animals act like I have seen animals act ...more
Christian Padgett
The Freaky Friday of books, Nicholas becomes his cat and his cat becomes him. He learns what is it is like to be a cat for a day. I think this book provides an opportunity for students to recognize that they are different and that we will never know what others truly experience in their lives if we do not walk a mile in their shoes.
Cora
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Per my second graders: I liked it because it was funny when the teacher was scratching his head and then fell asleep. It was funny because the mom was dragging him to the bathroom. I liked it because the witch jumped into the window and changed him. I liked it because he learned empathy for his cat.
Beth
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is like Freaky Friday for young children. The cat and boy switch places. The story ends with his teacher and a cat switching places.

I watched this at Storyline Online http://www.storylineonline.net/
Elijah Wood read the book. He suggests that viewers rent this book from the library.
Deanna Donald
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-read
This book could be used as a fun read. Some students sometimes may wish they could be their cat for a day and what a great book this would be for them to read to see some of the things a cat may go through in their day to day life.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was CUTE! I loved the surprise ending. The author certainly understands cat behavior.
Julie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-video
Storylineonline video
Nimitha TR
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-pic-books
A hilarious read. He loved the other Kitamura books 'sheep in Wolves' clothing' and 'when sheep cannot sleep'. The illustrations are best part of Kitsmura's books and this one was no exception!
Lisa
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-school-2017
Cute!
Hannah Givens
Listened to the Storyline Online version read by Elijah Wood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzIS...
Bonnieyayaleyyy
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  The story is about a little kid named Nicholas and his cat named Leonardo. They live together and switch brains. Nicholas realizes he is a cat when he is eating from his cat's food and when he looked in the mirror at himself. When he makes a huge mess in the house his mother kicks him out of the house because she thinks he is really a cat! Then the action begins. The dogs were going to bite the cat, who was really the boy, Nicholas.
  I liked the story because it is a very good and funny story.
Dolly
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Satoshi Kitamura has written some very odd stories, but his illustrations are instantly recognizable and we love the cats he draws. This story, about a boy's body switch with his cat, is okay, but the illustrations are hilarious.

After reading some reviews, I looked again at the art on the walls in the house (after the "boy" returns from school). It's funny and mimics what's happening in the house. Also I liked the poster for Sheep In Wolves' Clothing, another book by this author. We haven't read
Jen Wehage-Barrera
1 - Child Humor – Me and My Cat by Satoshi Kitamura
One night, a spell is inadvertently cast on a boy and his cat. The two have switched bodies! The boy acts very much like a cat, which is quite silly. The story is told through the boy’s mind that is tuck in the cat’s body. He spends the day making mistakes since he doesn’t know the rules a cat is supposed to follow. By the next day, they have returned to normal, but somebody else is very different.
This text is intended for young readers. The co
Aisha Khan
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

As an avid cat lover, I was attracted to this book simply because of the title and the cover page illustration of a wide eyed cat, however upon further inspection it is in my view a book of much substance.

The book features a ‘freaky friday’ style situation in which a young boy names Nicholas and his pet cat appear to have swapped bodies, due to a mysterious visit by a witch. The core of the story focuses on Nicholas’s adventures inside his cat’s body including a run in with the scary neighbourh
Nani Yanagi
This book is about a boy named Nicholas and his cat named Leonardo. One night, a lady in a pointed hat (looked like a witch) came into Nicholas’s bedroom, mumbled some words and left. The next morning Nicholas woke up and realized that he was in his cats body and his cat was in his body. Nicholas walked around the neighborhood. He got into a fight with three other cats, got ignored by his mother cat, and got chased by the friendly neighborhood dog. Nicholas soon realized that the life of his cat ...more
Tess Gatof
While I found "Me and My Cat" entertaining, I wasn't completely sold on the story line. The main character is miraculously turned into a cat overnight by a witch who enters through his window. In turn, his cat and he switch places and live a day as each other. As as cat, the main character goes out and tries to experience life as a cat. While doing so, he gets in fights with the other cats on the block. Therefore, this book might be a bit too violent or confusing for a younger audience because t ...more
Riona Daly
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It tells the tale of a young boy, who one night is mysteriously visited by a witch who utters a number of words and then vanishes. Next morning, when the boy awakes he is shocked to find himself scratching his whiskers and watching himself go off to school. It seems he has switched bodies with his cat. During the day he experiences life as a cat and is once lucky to escape being chased by his neighbour's dog.

The next night, he is again visited by the witch who informs the boy she had got the wro
Lauren Stoolfire
I watched Elijah Wood read this story via a post on Book Riot.

Me and My Cat? is a Freaky Friday-esque body swap tale except in this case a boy and his cat switch places. The boy learns that life as a cat is just as complicated as life is for a human. The switch happens when one night a witch climbs through his window and casts a spell on him. Later, the next night, she returns and undoes her work saying she got the wrong address. The next morning at school, the boy's teacher is behaving in a ve
Nanci Booher
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, kids
How often does one really read the pages prior to the beginning of a story? I happened to do it for this book and if I hadn't I would have been quite confused. I like the illustrations and the story was fun. Nicholas is being woken up by his mom, again. Only this time when she drags Nicholas off to get ready for school, something is wrong. This is a fun story to read with a smaller group or one on one. I don't think it would work for a storytime however.
Alison Durbin
I enjoyed this book and its "Freaky Friday" like story. I think every child has had that idea of what it would be like to be our pet for a day; this book explains that either situation is difficult in its own way. I could see myself using this book to discuss the lesson of not judging someone until you walk a mile in their shoes. This book would obviously be a light-hearted version of that old adage.
Carrie
Not too crazy about the illustrations. But used this book today for a sequencing lesson with my summer school class off of storylineonline.net and it was much better as an "animated" and read-aloud by Elijah Wood. The kids thought it was funny and I have to admit, so did I. On the other hand, I wasn't as entertained when I read it to myself.
Chechoui
Humorous book about a boy and his pet cat who change places for a day. I liked the elements of the bit of chaos in the house and that everything isn't picture-perfect. I thought about the realism to normal people's homes and what children might have in their homes with toys spread out every which way and whatnot. A fun read and shows true cat behavior - clearly the author knows cats!
Katie Nanney
The book was okay. I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork or the story, but it was funny so that works. The story seemed kind of generic and there wasn't much of a point to it. The idea of switching bodies with your cat was a funny concept, but the carrying out of the story fell flat. I doubt I will ever use this book in my classroom.
Shanshad Whelan
It's meant to be funny, I guess. But I found the whole book aimed at a slightly older age group than is likely to pick it up. The vocabulary, situations and humor are really more appropriate for second or third grade while the book is something a preschooler might pick up. Not a good read aloud, and I won't use it for reading aloud again.
Irina
This is a good book for freaky-Friday. Maybe it would be good to read when one of your students is having a bad day. You could use it when comparing and contrasting cats to children (if that was something your students were interested in). It talks about a boy who got turned into a cat and how he learned about his cat's day and his cat turned into him and went to school.
Lde212_06
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fun-read
The is a good book to store in your classroom library. Kids will find this book enjoyable to read. I think it is a great book to use to tap into your imagination on what it would be like to be your cat or dog for a day.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, school
A little boy wakes up one day to discover he has changed bodies with his cat. While his cat is toted off to school, he gets to stay home and do all sorts of cat things. Cute and a little silly.

Illustrations are crude and cartoony - but fun nonetheless.
Kaylee Bostick
A mysterious witch comes into Nicholas's room one night. The next morning he awakens to find that he has switched places with his cat. I read this book to my classroom and have students work on retelling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Way Home
  • Yoko
  • Poo Bum
  • That's Not My Kitten
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • I'm a Dirty Dinosaur
  • That Cat Can't Stay
Satoshi Kitamura has won several awards, including the Mother Goose Award, the National Art Library Award from the Victoria and Albert Museum, and a Nestle Children’s Book Prize Silver Medal. He lives in Japan.
More about Satoshi Kitamura...