Start by marking “You Are Not Here” as Want to Read:
You Are Not Here

You Are Not Here

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  1,142 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
A startling novel about love and grief from the author of the acclaimed memoir I Don't Want to Be Crazy.

Annaleah and Brian shared something special - Annaleah is sure of it. When they were together, they didn't need anyone else. It didn't matter that their relationship was
secret. All that mattered was what they had with each other.

And then, out of nowhere, Brian dies. And
Published October 1st 2010 by Push

Beastly by Alex FlinnNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespearePride & Prejudice by Jane AustenWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Flowers on Covers
531 books — 262 voters
Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
268 books — 639 voters

More lists with this book...

Fiona
“But when someone is dead, he’s dead. He’s not coming back. There is no second chance. Death is a period at the end of a sentence. Someone gone, but still out there, is an ellipsis…or a question to be answered.”

Drowning myself in a sea of my own tears. How could this break me so much?!

If I wanted to sum this book up in two words, it would be heart-achingly beautiful. Nothing about this book is happy until the last 30 pages. So if you read this book, be prepared to have a heavy heart. The first
Paige  Bookdragon
description

I wouldn't give this book
a rating because this

with all this mojo.
Heather
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I love verse style writing, it conveys thoughts and feelings very well, imo, especially grief. But no matter how hard I tired, I couldn’t stir up any emotions for this one.

You Are Not Here tells the story of Annaleah, a teenage girl who has just lost her quasi-boyfriend, Brian. At the age of 17, his un-knowingly defected heart gave out on him. Now Annaleah is trapped in grief and has no one to share her pain with. No one who knew Brian even knows she exists.

While I was certainly touched by this
Lora
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nic and Arlene; or anyone who enjoys verse novels.
First off, I'd just like to say that although I haven't read a lot of verse novels, I do enjoy them. And this one was no exception.

You Are Not Here begins with Annaleah going to visit her boyfriend, Brian, whom she's been seeing for the past few months. Except this time, she's going to visit his grave. Brian's passing has left a hole in Annaleah's heart, and she's not sure how to move on without him.

This novel alternates between the past and the present: It tells how Annaleah met Brian, and how
Cait S
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5. Wasn't thrilled with this one. The MC was pretty pathetic and whiney, even for a genre full of pathetic and whiney girls. I couldn't connect with her because I really just wanted to smack her and tell her to stop being such a jackass, honestly.
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
You Are Not Here by Samantha Schutz tells the story of Annaleah, who is experiencing deep grief after the sudden depth of the boy she liked. The boy she was having a secret relationship with. Brian is dead and Annaleah just wants to be dead with him.

Annaleah has been "dating" Brian, a boy from a town nearby. Unfortunately theirs was basically a hidden relationship so now, with Brian gone, she really has no one to experience the grieving process with. Her friends warned her about seeing him becau
Jennifer Rayment
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Good Stuff

* Absolutely wonderful, absorbing and real, you will not want to put it down
* Unusual, raw and poignant
* I'm at a loss on how to express how wonderful I though this book was. If you have ever lost someone you love, you will recognize all the thoughts and emotions that Annaleah goes through in her grieving process
* Must go find more of the author's books tomorrow - seriously impressed
* The last chapter is sad and beautiful and hopeful
* Some nice light humour
* Secondary charac
Clementine
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Apparently, you just need a guy to overcome your grief about another guy.

I hate this line of narrative. I hate that grief is probably the most complex emotion, and it simply fell flat here, because the auther focused heavily on Annaleah and Brian's relationship. It was supposed to be romantic, you guys.

Well, fuck that. No thank you. And the cheese in this book, man-oh-man.

Annaleah is a mess during more than 80% of the novel; depression isn't addressed, 'it's just grief'.
Lala
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"This is a different kind of good-bye."

Lovely, beautiful, perfect. This was absolutely perfect. I could not have found these words more truthful had I written them myself. After recently experiencing my own tragic loss, this book...these words...left me speechless. Annaleah said all the right things, felt all the right things and I've never been able to connect more with a character than I did with her. Whether you've experienced a loss or not, this is undeniably breathtaking. A very honest imag
Hani Tiara
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
A good book to relate to if you have experienced a death of a loved one.
You Are NOT Here 1 6 May 24, 2012 10:08AM
  • Handcuffs
  • Jinx
  • Exposed
  • You Remind Me of You: A Poetry Memoir
  • Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #2)
  • All You Get Is Me
I am a writer and children’s book editor living in Brooklyn, NY. My first book, I Don’t Want to Be Crazy, is a memoir about anxiety disorder written in verse. My second book, You Are Not Here, is a verse-novel about grief and loss. I am currently working on my third book for young adults.
More about Samantha Schutz...
“I feel
“My heart is empty.
But my brain -
my brain is full.
It races with thoughts
of what could have been.”
24 likes