Jump to ratings and reviews

You Are Not Here

A startling novel about love and grief from the author of the acclaimed memoir I Don't Want to Be Crazy.

Annaleah and Brian shared something special - Annaleah is sure of it. When they were together, they didn't need anyone else. It didn't matter that their relationship was
secret. All that mattered was what they had with each other.

And then, out of nowhere, Brian dies. And while everyone else has their role in the grieving process, Annaleah finds herself living outside of it, unacknowledged and lonely.
How can you recover from a loss that no one will let you have?

292 pages, Hardcover

First published October 1, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Samantha Schutz

5 books146 followers
I am a writer and children’s book editor living in Brooklyn, NY. My first book, I Don’t Want to Be Crazy, is a memoir about anxiety disorder written in verse. My second book, You Are Not Here, is a verse-novel about grief and loss. I am currently working on my third book for young adults.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 197 reviews
Profile Image for Fiona.
247 reviews67 followers
June 27, 2015
“But when someone is dead, he’s dead. He’s not coming back. There is no second chance. Death is a period at the end of a sentence. Someone gone, but still out there, is an ellipsis…or a question to be answered.”

Drowning myself in a sea of my own tears. How could this break me so much?!

If I wanted to sum this book up in two words, it would be heart-achingly beautiful. Nothing about this book is happy until the last 30 pages. So if you read this book, be prepared to have a heavy heart. The first two pages of the book will punch you right in the gut. Get the book and read it to find out what I mean.

The loss of a loved one or a friend is so hard to understand. Simply put, it is life-altering. What you make of life afterward is a constant struggle which everyone goes through differently. But as Samantha Schultz clearly points out in this story, everyone goes through it in their own way – grieves in their own way – moves on in their own way – deals with it on their own time. But most importantly that life will just go on.

You Are Not Here is a portrait of grief and love, both so intense to take the meaning from everything else. Not only that, it's also about beginning to move on. It's intense and absorbing and incredibly, beautifully written. This book will resonate with you beyond the last page. It will make you think about your own life experiences. It will stick with you after you close the book.
Profile Image for Paige  Bookdragon.
938 reviews606 followers
Read
July 10, 2015
description

I wouldn't give this book
a rating because this

is making my eyes cross
and I
keep on being distracted
with all this mojo.
Profile Image for Heather.
282 reviews13.9k followers
January 24, 2012
I love verse style writing, it conveys thoughts and feelings very well, imo, especially grief. But no matter how hard I tired, I couldn’t stir up any emotions for this one.

You Are Not Here tells the story of Annaleah, a teenage girl who has just lost her quasi-boyfriend, Brian. At the age of 17, his un-knowingly defected heart gave out on him. Now Annaleah is trapped in grief and has no one to share her pain with. No one who knew Brian even knows she exists.

While I was certainly touched by this book, it wasn’t due to Annaleah’s loss of Brian. I could hardly feel sadness at losing such a worm. Rather, my heart broke for Annaleah’s longing for someone who clearly didn’t love or respect her. Here we have a girl who feels as though she has lost the love of her life, when in all actuality; a breakup between these two individuals was a long time coming. Brian was just a guy, one of many who will undoubtedly break her heart. We see Annaleah frustrated by the fact that she will never receive answers from Brian regarding his true feelings for her. And we see her mourn him, when I’m certain he wouldn’t have done the same for her. I wanted to shake her and tell her that even had Brian lived, those answers would have been held beyond her grasp. He is one of those boys who owe nothing to anyone but himself, move on!

Overall, this story better serves as a cautionary tale about giving your heart and body away to someone un-worthy of it as opposed to a tale about loosing the love of your life. Nonetheless, it’s a good quick read that will give young readers food for thought.
Profile Image for Lora.
186 reviews984 followers
January 7, 2011
First off, I'd just like to say that although I haven't read a lot of verse novels, I do enjoy them. And this one was no exception.

You Are Not Here begins with Annaleah going to visit her boyfriend, Brian, whom she's been seeing for the past few months. Except this time, she's going to visit his grave. Brian's passing has left a hole in Annaleah's heart, and she's not sure how to move on without him.

This novel alternates between the past and the present: It tells how Annaleah met Brian, and how she's living now that he's gone. I felt Annaleah's grief while reading this. As with any novel that deals with loss and death, You Are Not Here shows all of the emotions and irrational thoughts that one has when they've lost someone there're close to.

Later on in the novel you find out that maybe Annaleah's relationship with Brian wasn't all she believed it to be. This and some kind words offered by Brian's grandmother are what I believe ultimately helped Annaleah to start to cope with her loss and begin the healing process that eventually comes after someone's passing. There's also a new love interest that Annaleah meets towards the end of the novel that I feel really helped me like this story better.

And as with all verse novels you don't get the deep connection or nearly enough time to get used to the characters, but even though this isn't a character driven novel, I still feel that it was beautifully written and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys verse novels.

Below are some of my favorite quotes from You Are Not Here:

There is a pain
under my left rib.
I wonder if it's because
my belly is empty.
Or maybe it's because
all of me is empty.
My tear ducts are empty.
I can't imagine that I will ever
have any more tears to cry.
My heart is empty.
But my brain ---
my brain is full.
It races with thoughts
of what could have been.

Firefiles blink
Morse code messages from Brian.
Crickets chirp
notes that when read on a scale
surely have meaning.
Unfortunately, I don't speak
their language.

Profile Image for Jennifer Rayment.
1,225 reviews53 followers
November 3, 2010
The Good Stuff

* Absolutely wonderful, absorbing and real, you will not want to put it down
* Unusual, raw and poignant
* I'm at a loss on how to express how wonderful I though this book was. If you have ever lost someone you love, you will recognize all the thoughts and emotions that Annaleah goes through in her grieving process
* Must go find more of the author's books tomorrow - seriously impressed
* The last chapter is sad and beautiful and hopeful
* Some nice light humour
* Secondary characters bring in some nice brief insight
* Easy quick read that really could grab the attention of a reluctant reader
* Truly heartbreaking at times, I dare you not to tear up at least a little

The Not so Good Stuff

* The short prose that at first glance looks like poetry may turn some off (it almost made me put it down) very glad I didn't
* Once again a Mom is useless, but as I have mentioned before, teens think we are, so I really should let that go
* Not for those who are only in to fluff

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"I am a different kind of ghost. There are no traces of me here except for my fingerprints. Brian was the only other person who shared my memories here. And now that he is gone, I am their sole keeper."

"It is the day after Brian's funeral. The sky should be black. Lightning should knife through the air. There should be blast of thunder. Rain should fall in bullets and shatter windshields."

"Brian died, not you, Annaleah. Your life can't stop just because his did."

"Definitely not Mr. Lowry. He was giving me a D in history. I don't think someone who gave you Ds would speak at your funeral."

What I Learned

* Grief sucks and it is really lonely. Yeah, never mind, I have lost my Mom and my Dad -- learned that horrible lesson long ago.
* Nothing more intense than teenage love

Who should/shouldn't read

* Teens who have lost someone they love -- never mind in general teens will love this. Catches their feelings and thought processes dead on -- bought me back to those years and the heightened emotions
* Pretty much anyone who has lost someone, will understand Annaleah's grief and living and learning through it
* A must have for any high school or public library

4.5 Dewey's

I received this from Scholastic in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Cait S.
897 reviews71 followers
August 23, 2016
2.5. Wasn't thrilled with this one. The MC was pretty pathetic and whiney, even for a genre full of pathetic and whiney girls. I couldn't connect with her because I really just wanted to smack her and tell her to stop being such a jackass, honestly.
Profile Image for Lala.
368 reviews4 followers
June 14, 2015
"This is a different kind of good-bye."

Lovely, beautiful, perfect. This was absolutely perfect. I could not have found these words more truthful had I written them myself. After recently experiencing my own tragic loss, this book...these words...left me speechless. Annaleah said all the right things, felt all the right things and I've never been able to connect more with a character than I did with her. Whether you've experienced a loss or not, this is undeniably breathtaking. A very honest image of the despair, heartache and unbelievable grief that accompanies tragedy. I wish I had, had this book to read 20 months ago. I miss you Ales <3 ~ always.

my favourite quote ~ "I wish I had been there to hold his hand, brush the dark hair away from his cloudy blue eyes, whisper to him over and over that he was loved."

some of my favourite passages...

"I am changed. My perspective is changed. I don't think I can come back from that. I don't think I can live the way I did before."

"Why do I get to live when he doesn't? It doesn't make sense. It makes me furious. It makes me think there is no God."

"I wonder how long grief lasts. Will there be a day when I don't feel like this? When I don't think about you? I wonder how long that will be from now."

"How can a person be filled with life and then be empty? Where does it all go?"

"There is a pain under my left rib. I wonder if it's because my belly is empty. Or maybe it's because all of me is empty. My tear ducts are empty. I can't imagine that I will ever have any more tears to cry. My heart is empty. But my brain - my brain is full. It races with thoughts of what could have been."

41 reviews1 follower
September 29, 2017
Personal Response: I enjoyed reading You Are Not Here by Samantha Schutz, because it was about a girl who lost her boyfriend due to an unexpected death. Some people may be able to relate to losing someone close to them. I liked how throughout the book that she was able to overcome his death and move on. It may have taken her awhile, but she was able to. I also liked how she wanted a sign from him telling her to move on and that her sign was to start a job at a pizza place. Starting this new job, she was able to be focused on working and not thinking about him. Lastly, I liked that she met someone new at the end of the book.

Plot: In You Are Not Here, a teenage girl, Annaleah had just found out her boyfriend died without any warning or sign. She was heartbroken for a long time. Annaleah would think about him everyday until the funeral, even after that. Annaleah was at the funeral with all of his family that she never got to meet. Her boyfriend, Brian, never introduced her to his family. She thought it was because he was embarrassed by her, later to find out that he did not want to be embarrassed by his alcoholic dad. Annaleah and her mother were never really close until Brian died. Annaleah’s father left when she was younger and has not saw him since. Throughout this book Annaleah grew with the fact that she lost her boyfriend. She would find out things about him that she never knew before and that would make her upset, especially one thing. Annaleah met her new friend at work and they became closer. Annaleah and her new friend, Ethan, grew close enough that they actually started to like each other.

Characterization: Annaleah was a teenage girl who is currently going through a rough time in her life. She was experiencing the death of her boyfriend. Throughout the book Annaleah was able to cope with the fact that her boyfriend had died. It took her a while and she even lost her best friend, Marissa, throughout the process. Marissa was never fond of her boyfriend, Brian, she always thought that he had something to hide from Annaleah, which he actually did. Annaleah was able to move on after she had met someone, and she realized it was time to say goodbye to Brian until they saw each other again someday.

Setting: You Are Not Here takes place in modern day. There are no references of where it takes place. It deals with what people go through when a loved one dies. It is describing where each place was in the book. It also described how to get to each place from the girls house.

Recommendation: I would recommend You Are Not Here to eighth graders and older because of the language that is used throughout this book. Also, because of some of the flashbacks that are talked about. Younger children may not take everything maturely.
Profile Image for Savannah.
52 reviews
March 23, 2022
I have never read a book written as poems so the structure of this book caught my eye. I write poetry myself about emotional things that I can't bear to say out loud. It's a way of therapy for me. This author really struck a chord with me on how emotional and relatable the poems were. It was a journey through grief. The bad, the ugly, and eventually finding a way to deal and move on. I am looking forward to reading more by this author because of how this book was written.
Profile Image for Richard Haynes.
365 reviews11 followers
June 28, 2019
The entire book is a poem, sad and intense, as a girl who lost her first love exposes her grief in a tormented search for answers about life and death.
29 reviews
November 17, 2015
Personal Response:
This book was a great read. It was written in poem form, and I really enjoyed that. I read this book in just a matter of days, because I did not want to put it down. Any free time I had, I read it. I thought the main character deserved to be treated better by the guy she was with. I don't think she realized how bad she was treated until he died. In my opinion, the main character gave too much more effort than the guy did. This book seemed simple, but there was something very enjoyable about it, as well.

Plot:
A 17 year old girl in high school, Annaleah, found love with a guy named Brian. When they were together, he treated her very nice and special. When they weren't, though, he acted the opposite. He never introduced her to his friends or family. Annaleah was crazy about him and gave him all she had. She loved him so incredibly much, but she wasn't the only girl Brian saw. Unexpectedly, at age 17, Brian died of a bad heart. This killed Annaleah inside. She was depressed for months and wouldn't go out with her friends. She only left the house to visit Brian's grave. Slowly she realized that she deserved a better guy to treat her right. She went out more often with her friends and got a job. She found herself a new boyfriend, who treated her great. She overcame the depression which she suffered throughout the whole book and moved on happily.

Characterization:
The main character in this book was Annaleah. The book was all told in her point of view. She was 17 years old and just finished her junior year in high school. She only lived with her mother, because her father left the family when she was one year old. When she was with Brian, she was at her happiest. When he died, though, she became very depressed. Throughout the majority of the book she would not talk to her friends much. She stayed in her house, unless she went to visit the cemetery where Brian was buried. She visited and talked to him everyday. Around two months after his death, she got a job and went out some more. She met a guy at work and fell for him. At first, Annaleah felt as if she cheated on Brian, but got over that after her friend's advice. Throughout the book she was very depressed and avoided people. At the end she was extremely happy, loving, and sociable again.

Setting:
The setting took place over the summer between Annaleah's junior and senior years of high school. This was significant because of her young love for Brian. She didn't yet know what she deserved to be treated like when she was with him. When she lost him, depression hit her. I believe the setting was important to her reaction, because she had the option to just sit around and not be involved with anything. Also, what would have been time to be with Brian, she did not get. In the summer months, she had plenty of time to mourn his death and coped at her own pace.

Theme:
The message I found in this book was to never lose hope. At the time when Brian died, Annaleah gave up. She gave up on her mom, her friends, and her life. She thought nothing would ever be good again. Then she stepped out a little more, and found herself to be wrong. She found the goodness that was around her all along. When she realized that, she got her hope back. She felt hopeful and continued on happily with her life.

Recommendation:
I would recommend this to teenage girls. The story was told all in the point of view from a girl, so that might make it more relatable for girls. Others who enjoy reading about subjects, such as depression, will enjoy this book. It gave a good perspective on how depression affected someone's day to day life.
9 reviews1 follower
November 1, 2016
Personal Response:
I would give this book two stars, because it was not that good of a book. It was a very easy read, and easy to follow. There were not that many cliff hangers throughout the book and the author did not give that much info about anything.

Plot:
In this book Annaleah is dealing with the loss of her boyfriend, Brian. Brian died from a heart condition no one knew about. Brians heart was larger than it should be and was pushing up against his lungs. Annaleah kept their relationship a secret for three months. Anna and Brian went to different schools, so it was easy to keep it a secret. When Annaleah found out Brian had died she did not know what to say or do. She went to his funeral and met his grandmother and told her she was his girlfriend, but did not want anyone to know, Brians grandma kept everything a secret. Annaleah started shutting her friends out, never got out of bed, she never ate or slept. Annaleah visited Brians grave every single day and told him everything that was going on. Anna eventually found out that Brian was cheating on her with a girl named Sarah. Annaleah did not want to do anything or talk to anyone, she ignored all her friends calls and texts. One day her friend Marissa came over unexpected and gave Anna a book about getting through losing someone. Anna got mad and kicked her friend out. Anna ended up reading the book and decided to do something about all this. She ended up getting a job at a pizza place, only visited Brian every other day, and started hanging out with her friends again. Anna met a boy named Ethan at work and decided to give him a try and they started to date. Anna told Ethan everything that happened with Brian and Ethan understood that Anna wanted to take things slow. After a while Anna only went to Brians grave every couples of days and sometimes brought friends and sometimes saw Brians grandma there.

Characters:
Annaleah is the main character. She is 17 years old, average height, dark brown hair and green eyes. She is an only child. She does not talk to her dad because he left and her mom is always working as a nurse at the hospital. She has three friends, Marissa, Joy, Chris, and a boyfriend, Brian. Brian is 17 years old. He is tall, has brown hair and very light blue eyes. Brian loves playing basketball and football. He has one younger sister and lives with both his parents. Annaleah and Brian go to different schools.

Setting:
The setting is in the 21st century during the summer time in a small town. I do not think it is important that this took place in the 21st century, but I think people can relate to it more.

Recommendations:
I would recommend this to guys and girls in middle school and high school. It is an easy read and easy to follow. There is no harsh language or inappropriate stuff. This book could even help someone get through losing someone because the book has steps on how to deal with it.
Profile Image for Princess Bookie.
960 reviews97 followers
January 27, 2011
My Thoughts: First off, I'll start explaining why I only gave this book 3 cupcakes. Generally 3 cupcakes does mean I liked it, I just didn't like it as much as I wanted too or love it. You Are Not Here is written in verse and it reminded me of Chasing Brooklyn a lot which I did enjoy. I usually do not like too many books written in verse so that may be why my rating is a little low. I also wasn't aware before reading it that it was written in verse. However, it is a fast read so I gave it a shot anyway.

We are introduced to the main character Annaleah who is grieving for Brian. I can't really call Brian her boyfriend since it was not official and he more or less hid her. Hardly anyone knew they were together, even his family was in the dark. We dive right into the book with Brian's death and Annaleah's reaction, than we get a glimpse into their whole relationship through flashbacks. Honestly, she reacted pretty well to all this. She didn't even tell her mother they were together (how does that happen?). She was really close to Brian. She even lost her virginity to him so how does the girl not have a major freakout when he dies? She has a few friends but her best friend Marissa is the one who is there throughout the story. They weren't really getting along too well before his death because she thought he wasn't good enough for Annaleah.

My impression of the cast of characters is a bit clouded I guess. Annaleah seemed like a normal girl but I didn't feel like she reacted enough to the news of his death. Yes, she shut herself off mentally but how could she not go around and tell everyone about their relationship? I can understand not wanting the whole world to know but it really bothered me her own mother did not catch on. Marisa was a good friend, even though they didn't always agree, she came to Annaleah's rescue and was there for her when she needed her most. As for Brian, I wanted to feel sorry for him, I wanted to like him but for the simple fact that he didn't acknowledge their relationship and was seen with another girl at some point by Marissa and his friend mentioned it to Annaleah; he came off as a player.

I was glad Annaleah started to move on to someone else, but that happened so fast and it didn't happen to almost the end of the book. I think I would have enjoyed learning more about the new guy and seeing if he was a good guy or not (he seemed to be though).

I think You Are Not Here is a nice one but just didn't hold my attention long enough and will see what else this author writes.

Overall: This one is an alright book. Not my favorite though, but remember I'm not a big fan of books written in verse so if you are, you may like it a lot more than me.

Cover: I've seen a few versions of this ones cover and I've liked them all.

What I'd Give It: 3/5 Cupcakes

Taken from Princess Bookie
princessbookie.com
Profile Image for Kelsey.
466 reviews11 followers
July 16, 2011
You Are Not Here was a stunning novel filled with heartbreakingly beautiful passages and stunning writing. This book tugged at my heartstrings time and time again and I found myself lost in Annaleah’s world over the course of a few hours. Samantha Schutz has written a fantastic verse novel that I know I won’t soon forget.

Annaleah loved her boyfriend Brian and she felt they had something one-of-a-kind. Their relationship was kept a secret from their families and friends and Annaleah didn’t mind. As long as she was with Brian everything was okay. But then tragedy strikes and suddenly Annaleah finds herself struggling to keep herself together. She is alone with her grief because not even her mother knew about Brian. It was heartbreaking to watch Annaleah spiral deeper and deeper into her grief and remorse. Her feelings for Brian were clear and it is so scary to think someone so young and vibrant could be there one second and gone the next. As you get deeper into Annaleah’s story you realize that Brian may not have been all Annaleah felt he was and she learns a lot more about him as the novel progresses.

I think my favorite aspect of You Are Not Here is the writing. It was so beautiful and well done, certain pages just made me so emotional. I have never experienced the kind of loss Annaleah had, thankfully, and it made it that much harder to watch her recover from Brian’s death and all that comes after. Even when some of her friends, who were very interesting secondary characters, try and help her she resists. There were quite a few intriguing side characters that played a role in the book and each of them had some impact on Annaleah’s life. In addition to recovering from the loss of Brian, Annaleah also thinks of what could have been if her father hadn’t left.

Quite a few young adult novels deal with death/loss and the recovery process, but none, in my opinion, quite like Samantha Schutz did with You Are Not Here. The verse format was perfect for this novel and it really helped the emotions come through on every page. This was a quick read, but it packed a punch.

I don’t want to spoil anything about the ending, but it was certainly satisfying. You Are Not Here is a book I wish wasn’t so overlooked because it contains an important theme and will resonate with many readers. Annaleah is a character I felt for from the start and I did like her friends quite a bit. All in all, I do recommend picking this up. I feel that everyone will take at least a small something away from it and I am looking forward to reading more by Schutz in the future.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Profile Image for Clementine.
274 reviews143 followers
August 28, 2016
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Apparently, you just need a guy to overcome your grief about another guy.

I hate this line of narrative. I hate that grief is probably the most complex emotion, and it simply fell flat here, because the auther focused heavily on Annaleah and Brian's relationship. It was supposed to be romantic, you guys.

Well, fuck that. No thank you. And the cheese in this book, man-oh-man.

Annaleah is a mess during more than 80% of the novel; depression isn't addressed, 'it's just grief'. Complicated grief isn't addressed, 'it's just grief'. Her self-love isn't addressed, 'it's just grief'. And the scared quotes aren't there to belittle grief, there are there because the author did a terrible job at showing this book was about Annaleah. This book was about Brian. Every single fucking thing was about Brian. You know what I call a book that pretends to be about a girl, but really just is about the boy she loves and the connection she felt both of them shared? A call that a pitiful book born from patriarchy. If only the author had addressed how engrossed Annaleah was with Brian and unhealthy that was. If only she had addressed how he treated her made her fear any interactions with any man. What about the other aspects of grief? The self-doubting, the self-loathing, the anger, the wish to erase everything and move far and far away, the will to burn things to the ground, the will to self-destroy, and the will to connect and fill the gaping hole? No. The author made this book about Annaleah's boys, the bad dead guy and the good puppy one with no personality and how the latter replaced the first.

So yeah, this book isn't about grief, this book is Annaleah being reduced to her relationships with boys. Again, no thank you.

Look. I'm a big fan of theatre and poetry. I eat those right up for breakfast. I luhhhve novels in verses. So really, when I say I was disappointed in the writing and the free verses did nothing for me, I mean that I normally love the genre, but there was nothing extraordinary here. Yes, there are ways to play with free verses. Yes, there are ways for poetry to be as evocative, rhymes or no rhyme. I just don't think the author achieved that here.
Profile Image for Jill.
2 reviews
November 24, 2010
Verse novels aren’t my favorite. I want them to be. I really, really do. But for some reason I have never been able to get attached to a novel written in verse. Knowing this, when I saw the premise for YOU ARE NOT HERE, I knew immediately I wanted to read it, and I am so glad I did.

It was a novel written in verse, yet I still could not help myself from falling in love with it. I cannot see it successfully written any other way. The raw emotions conveyed through the lines gave me such an insight into the grief AnnaLeah was feeling, the questions that were left unanswered, the need she felt to be wanted, to be loved, and the pain so large she couldn’t hide it as much as she tried.

As with anyone who has ever lost someone, I could easily sympathize with the shock of the death and AnnaLeah’s overwhelming sense of grief as she struggled to move on. Losing anyone is hard. Losing someone who is so young is ten times harder. YOU ARE NOT HERE captures perfectly the wide range of emotions that come with such a loss and weaves them effortlessly into a story of heartache, a story of struggle, and a story of moving on from the past when that’s all you seem to have left.

Overall:
With beautiful prose, powerful imagery, and such strong, real feelings, YOU ARE NOT HERE is a quick read that will easily capture anyone who has ever experienced something as personal and tragic as death.

READING IS BLISS
www.readingisbliss.blogspot.com
Profile Image for bjneary.
2,335 reviews81 followers
August 17, 2011
Shutz's latest novel in verse is fiction about a Annaleah who has a secret relationship with jock, artist, basketball player Brian, who suddenly dies. Only 3 of Annaleah's friends knew and didn't necessarily approve of them being together. With Brian's death, AnnaLeah is plunged to the depths of despair and now we as the reader find out about Brian from Annaleah. Brian didn't always make time for Annaleah but it is her friend Marissa, who keeps calling her friend (will Annaleah return her calls?), is honest with Annaleah (at times at the expense of their friendship),and provides empathy which Annaleah desperately needs. Annaleah spends her days visiting Brian at the cemetery, and at home in her pajamas, annot talking to her mother. Friends Parker and Jess give a grief book to Annaleah, which she refers to as the "death book" but she does read it and even though she mocks what she must do, Annaleah begins to wade through this book. It is when she takes a job at a pizza parlor that we feel Annaleah confront her pain and loss and begin to try to ease back into her old life, and friends. Girls who enjoy a romance, and a quick read will enjoy this novel in verse about a lost love.
Profile Image for Liza Wiemer.
Author 5 books655 followers
Read
October 23, 2011
You Are Not Here was recommended to me by Joli of Actin' Up with Books Blogspot. I've been reading a ton of verse YA novels lately and she thought I would appreciate this one. I definitely did! You Are Not Here is about a girl named Annaleah who hooks up with a boy named Brian. Only a couple of Annaleah's friends know about their relationship, and they don't exactly approve. Brian seems to be using Annaleah, contacting her at his convenience and not defining their relationship beyond hooking up together. This is hard for Annaleah because she's in love with him. When Brian suddenly dies, Annaleah's world goes into a tailspin. Her friends try to be sympathetic, but it's hard. It's even harder for Annaleah because Brian's family and friends didn't know about her.
This is a powerful book about finding self-respect, coping with loss, and reaching out for help when life brings you down. A worthy YA verse novel!
1 review
February 14, 2018
I think this book was great. I would recommend this book if you like romance and drama because this book is little depressive. The main character, Annaleah, loses her boyfriend, Brian. She is sharing her emotional feelings. This novel reminds me of myself. When I lost my best friend I was also so sad and depressed. I couldn't stop thinking about him and I couldn't sleep. I really like how Annaleah, the main character and the narrator, uses imagery and figurative language. When I close my eyes I can see Brian and Annaleah even though this is not a movie.
Profile Image for Alene.
572 reviews3 followers
August 14, 2015
This book was written in verse about a teenage girl who has to cope and accept the sudden death of her boyfriend. What sets this story apart from other "coping with death" stories, is that the couple's relationship was a secret and therefore, she cannot mourn openly. Very well written. Very insightful of a teen's journey through the loss of a first love.
4 reviews
September 6, 2018
The book was very, very deep. The author uses words to make you feel Annaleah's pain and sorrow. While reading this, I felt as though I was actually living in her world and experiencing everything she was. This book is very good and I highly recommend it. It is written in poem form, which makes it even better.
Profile Image for Erin Lee.
Author 294 books496 followers
October 11, 2018
Very real and honest look at the grieving process for a young adult. I found the unusual writing style fascinating.
Profile Image for Lansypansy.
2 reviews
November 27, 2018
This is a great book with a MC that deals with death and grief. 4/5 because I wish the story went into more detail in some parts. This was a quick read
Profile Image for Khristy.
101 reviews30 followers
May 13, 2019
A straightforward, easy to understand YA read that would be good for my classroom. The narrator, Annaleah, was just frustrating enough to keep me interested.
11 reviews
June 6, 2017
The book You Are Not Here by Samantha Schutz is about a girl named Annaleah and Brian. (Brian is her boyfriend). The book all started when Annaleah found out that her boyfriend Brian recently died at the age of 17. As most people would be she was very sad and depressed when she found out about the bad news or the death. Ever since Brian died Annaleah hasn't really been herself lately. She's been not worrying about other people as she used to and she hasn't been wanting to do the things that she always wanted to do. She would always thought that it was the fact that they kept their relationship a secret between their families and friends. She been feeling really lonely and has nobody to keep her some company when she feels alone. I always thought was that how could you recover from a loss that no one will ever let you have? I rated this book and rating of 4 stars because it was something different. Different in a good way because I never read the book before and out of all the books that I read this book had nothing to do with the rest of them. Also, I rated this book a rating of 4 stars is because the book was about another person dying but didn't die from a disease or a type of cancer that they had they died because of something totally different than that. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone who likes reading books in a poem style because this book is split up into a lot of poems. Also, I would recommend this book to anyone who likes books that gets them in the feels when they read the first couple of pages of the book. On the other hand that a book that would make you feel the same exact way that the character feels when they are going through all of this. I liked this book and I hope you like it too!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 197 reviews