Start by marking “Russell the Sheep” as Want to Read:
Russell the Sheep

Russell the Sheep

(Russell the Sheep)

This is Russell.

Sometimes Russell is just a little bit out of step with the rest of the flock.

All the sheep are falling asleep -- except Russell.

What's a sheep to do?

Russell tries everything ... until, at last, he falls asleep.
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2005)

Start your review of Russell the Sheep
Abigail
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Humorous Bedtime Stories
I have had mixed feelings about Rob Scotton's Splat the Cat books - sometimes I enjoy them, and sometimes I am indifferent - so I was curious to see what I would make of his other picture-book hero, the ovine Russell. I'm glad to say that I found him to be an appealing character, and that I enjoyed this initial story, in which Russel struggles to get to sleep, quite a bit!

Russell tries everything, from changing his apparel to using his frog companion as a pillow, to get to sleep, but in the
Ivy
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
The story was for younger children, but the pictures were a lot of fun.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bedtime reading; adults for reading to and with kids; animal lovers; insomniacs
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I didn’t have high expectations for this book because I wasn’t wild about the cover illustration. But, I ended up being pleasantly surprised.

The illustrations are a hoot. They are so cute. A sheep with a teddy bear, one with dentures in a cup, one with a newspaper, and much more, and Russell’s companion on nearly every page, a frog. Most of the pages have much to view, and much of it is amusing. I also ended up liking the art style, at least in conjunction with the story. I love the blues and gr
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, I read a LOT of picture books. It's an occupational hazard. I rarely add them to my Goodreads list because I feel like it would unfairly influence my "must read at least 52 books per year" list.

However, this is the week of my RTMLA "Bedtime" storytime, and I picked this book. And I'M IN LOVE. It worked so well as a read-aloud. The kids didn't wiggle, the parents giggled, and everyone liked helping me count the sheep. The drawings are detailed and funny and interesting. The kids could see
Rossy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Russell is a cute little sheep who can't sleep. He tries a lot of things but still... no sleep, until he decides to count SHEEP :)
Adorable story with amazing illustrations!
Colleen
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this fun little book with Mattingly. Russell is a cute little sheep who can't find a way to fall asleep....until he counts sheep! It's a very clever little book with lovely illustrations.
Ryan
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Russell the sheep has always been one of my favorite picture book series. In his first book he is trying to fall asleep. He tries sleeping in different locations, with different people, and then counting. But not even counting every star in the sky can help him get to sleep. The story is cute, and the illustrations are adorable making for a great picture book.
Kristi
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
My son and I both loved this book! The illustrations are well done and the prose simple and easy enough he can read it alone.

There are plenty of giggles, and it seems every time we read it, he notices something new and silly to adore.
Zaz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a huge fan of the author's art, I buy his books just for the (amazing) pictures! The story is nice too, with humorous touches, and the characters are really likable.
Russell books are light in text, so they are better for young kids around 3yo.
Tara
The story line is nice, but the illustrations are superb!
Paige Patterson
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: Russell the Sheep

Author: Rob Scotton

Illustrator: N/A

Genre: Counting Book, Picture Book,

Theme(s): Sleep, Bedtime, Sheep/Animals, Counting,

Opening line/sentence: Russell the Sheep lived in Frogsbottom Field.

Brief Book Summary: Russell the Sheep is having trouble getting to sleep one night, blaming everything from being too hot or cold to needing a frog for a pillow. Eventually, Russell decides to try counting his toes to the millions of stars and still cannot fall asleep. Ultimately, Russel
Dion.Lynnly
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

BUY AMBIEN ONLINE WITH OVERNIGHT DELIVERY in USA

ambien

What is the medication of Ambien?

In this stressful time where we are made to lose our sleep. Most of the time we sacrifice our sleep to achieve our dreams. This has led to most sleep problems like insomnia. You may treat your sleeping issues through Ambien. You can also buy Ambien online from any of the online medical websites.

Ambien is a kind of sedative/hypnotic and comes in the category of powerful sedative. Doctors prescribe Ambien to peopl
Sydney Jackson
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rob Scotton
Harper Collins 2005

This book follows Russell the Sheep as he struggles to fall asleep! He goes around, trying to find more comfortable places to sleep, he tries to count things, such as his legs, other animals, and even the stars, but still he cannot seem to get to sleep.

I don't foresee anyone having any potential problems with this book. Does not really cover any sensitive issues.

This book is such an amazing going to bed book for little children. It teaches about the old saying "coun
Hannah Jadwin
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Russell the Sheep has a hard time falling asleep. He tried all sorts of methods, like covering his eyes, taking off his fur and then putting it back on. He tried different places to rest but none of his efforts seemed to work. However, there is one classic method that can put anyone to sleep...even Russell.
This book brought a smile to my face! It was a cute book and fun to read. Russell the Sheep is definitely a lower grade and age reading level. I say this not necessarily because it has easy
Aliyah Lombard
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a precious bed time story. The whole plot is about Russell the sheep having a difficult time falling asleep. He tried many different things to make himself comfortable and cozy but nothing seems to work until he decided to count sheep. He gets to nine and then realizes he forgot to count himself. Once he reaches ten, he is sound asleep. The illustrations are calming to look at because they are composed with cool colors.
This book also makes a cute bedtime story because of the irony that
Sandy
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, childrens
I love Russell. What a cutie-pie. Poor little thing just wants to go to sleep but he can't. He tries all sorts of things. I also love the little frog and ants and of course the other sheep. They all have their individual activities. One likes to knit, a scarf, from another sheep's wool. When they go to bed one has a teddy bear and others have blankets. Maybe they made them from some other's wool. The illustrations are wonderful.
Anthony
Russell is a sheep who lives in Frogsbottom Field, and after a tiring day of doing sheep things, all the other sheep went fast to sleep, but Russell was wide awake. He tried everything he could think of to fall a sleep. His only solution was to count things.
Vivian
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Russell the Sheep can't go to sleep. He tries everything, until he counts sheep, and falls to sleep just as everyone else wakes up. The illustrations are hilarious and little ones are sure to relate to Russell's frustration.
Children's Bookshelf
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favorite bedtime reads. Filled with humor, beautifully illustrated, simple concept and a seriously adorable sheep. Russell the sheep can’t sleep. He tries a lot of different things, but nothing seems to work. Will Russell ever figure this out?
Shaumbra Papritz
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Picked this up just for fun at a thrift shop not having seen it before. I am so glad I did! Such a fun little book for kids with a story made to elicit giggles and illustrations that can make anyone smile!
Darcie Saunier
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Russell the sheep can't sleep....so he counts sheep! Lol! Cute story. I like the pictures, but they are a little too dark for holding up at a storytime. It is a good snuggle time read.
Jennifer Parker
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the rhyming of this book the most. However, the ending was not my favorite.
Kody
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quickly rushed through it because it was short. Good book to put your three year old baby to sleep with!!!
Daffney
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Too Adorable! A sheep who can't fall asleep!
Gwen Marie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
Cute story - especially for bedtime. (Similar to Goldilocks) Illustrations are darker - may be hard for larger groups to see.
MagnusLR
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for night time

There's nothing more soothing than trying to sleep with a sheep, specially one as fluffy as Russell. The story is short but quite lovely.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
A really cute bedtime story. I love the little sheep laying with their feet in the air.
Rory Toohey
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Russell could be the hero all us insomniacs are looking for. Quite an impressive nightcap as well.
Janet
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute book.
Sara White
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a fun and entertaining book for younger children. The vocabulary is simple and easy to follow which is good for a young reader. Each page is filled with beautiful and fun illustrations captivating the reader.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dragons Love Tacos
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
  • Duck for President
  • Game of Gnomes
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • Shark vs. Train
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now l ...more

Russell the Sheep (4 books)
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure