Start by marking “Russell the Sheep” as Want to Read:
Russell the Sheep

Russell the Sheep

(Russell the Sheep)

This is Russell.

Sometimes Russell is just a little bit out of step with the rest of the flock.

All the sheep are falling asleep -- except Russell.

What's a sheep to do?

Russell tries everything ... until, at last, he falls asleep.
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2005)

Abigail
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Humorous Bedtime Stories
I have had mixed feelings about Rob Scotton's Splat the Cat books - sometimes I enjoy them, and sometimes I am indifferent - so I was curious to see what I would make of his other picture-book hero, the ovine Russell. I'm glad to say that I found him to be an appealing character, and that I enjoyed this initial story, in which Russel struggles to get to sleep, quite a bit!

Russell tries everything, from changing his apparel to using his frog companion as a pillow, to get to sleep, but in the en
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, I read a LOT of picture books. It's an occupational hazard. I rarely add them to my Goodreads list because I feel like it would unfairly influence my "must read at least 52 books per year" list.

However, this is the week of my RTMLA "Bedtime" storytime, and I picked this book. And I'M IN LOVE. It worked so well as a read-aloud. The kids didn't wiggle, the parents giggled, and everyone liked helping me count the sheep. The drawings are detailed and funny and interesting. The kids could see
Lisa Vegan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bedtime reading; adults for reading to and with kids; animal lovers; insomniacs
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I didn’t have high expectations for this book because I wasn’t wild about the cover illustration. But, I ended up being pleasantly surprised.

The illustrations are a hoot. They are so cute. A sheep with a teddy bear, one with dentures in a cup, one with a newspaper, and much more, and Russell’s companion on nearly every page, a frog. Most of the pages have much to view, and much of it is amusing. I also ended up liking the art style, at least in conjunction with the story. I love the blues and gr
Rossy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Russell is a cute little sheep who can't sleep. He tries a lot of things but still... no sleep, until he decides to count SHEEP :)
Adorable story with amazing illustrations!
Ryan
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Russell the sheep has always been one of my favorite picture book series. In his first book he is trying to fall asleep. He tries sleeping in different locations, with different people, and then counting. But not even counting every star in the sky can help him get to sleep. The story is cute, and the illustrations are adorable making for a great picture book.
Kristi
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
My son and I both loved this book! The illustrations are well done and the prose simple and easy enough he can read it alone.

There are plenty of giggles, and it seems every time we read it, he notices something new and silly to adore.
Zaz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a huge fan of the author's art, I buy his books just for the (amazing) pictures! The story is nice too, with humorous touches, and the characters are really likable.
Russell books are light in text, so they are better for young kids around 3yo.
Tara
The story line is nice, but the illustrations are superb!
Paige Patterson
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: Russell the Sheep

Author: Rob Scotton

Illustrator: N/A

Genre: Counting Book, Picture Book,

Theme(s): Sleep, Bedtime, Sheep/Animals, Counting,

Opening line/sentence: Russell the Sheep lived in Frogsbottom Field.

Brief Book Summary: Russell the Sheep is having trouble getting to sleep one night, blaming everything from being too hot or cold to needing a frog for a pillow. Eventually, Russell decides to try counting his toes to the millions of stars and still cannot fall asleep. Ultimately, Russel
Sydney Jackson
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rob Scotton
Harper Collins 2005

This book follows Russell the Sheep as he struggles to fall asleep! He goes around, trying to find more comfortable places to sleep, he tries to count things, such as his legs, other animals, and even the stars, but still he cannot seem to get to sleep.

I don't foresee anyone having any potential problems with this book. Does not really cover any sensitive issues.

This book is such an amazing going to bed book for little children. It teaches about the old saying "coun
Hannah Jadwin
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Russell the Sheep has a hard time falling asleep. He tried all sorts of methods, like covering his eyes, taking off his fur and then putting it back on. He tried different places to rest but none of his efforts seemed to work. However, there is one classic method that can put anyone to sleep...even Russell.
This book brought a smile to my face! It was a cute book and fun to read. Russell the Sheep is definitely a lower grade and age reading level. I say this not necessarily because it has easy
Sandy
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, childrens
I love Russell. What a cutie-pie. Poor little thing just wants to go to sleep but he can't. He tries all sorts of things. I also love the little frog and ants and of course the other sheep. They all have their individual activities. One likes to knit, a scarf, from another sheep's wool. When they go to bed one has a teddy bear and others have blankets. Maybe they made them from some other's wool. The illustrations are wonderful.
Vivian
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Russell the Sheep can't go to sleep. He tries everything, until he counts sheep, and falls to sleep just as everyone else wakes up. The illustrations are hilarious and little ones are sure to relate to Russell's frustration.
Anthony
Russell is a sheep who lives in Frogsbottom Field, and after a tiring day of doing sheep things, all the other sheep went fast to sleep, but Russell was wide awake. He tried everything he could think of to fall a sleep. His only solution was to count things.
Francis Thibeault
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: albums-jeunesse
Par le créateur de Splat, une histoire absurde et apaisante de moutons, et d'un mouton bien particulier qui n'arrivait pas à dormir. Les illustrations fourmillent de détails amusants à explorer. Un album idéal à apporter avant le dodo...
Allison Marks
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A charming book!
Kody
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quickly rushed through it because it was short. Good book to put your three year old baby to sleep with!!!
Darcie Saunier
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Russell the sheep can't sleep....so he counts sheep! Lol! Cute story. I like the pictures, but they are a little too dark for holding up at a storytime. It is a good snuggle time read.
MagnusLR
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for night time

There's nothing more soothing than trying to sleep with a sheep, specially one as fluffy as Russell. The story is short but quite lovely.
Daffney
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Too Adorable! A sheep who can't fall asleep!
Jennifer Parker
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the rhyming of this book the most. However, the ending was not my favorite.
Gwen Marie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
Cute story - especially for bedtime. (Similar to Goldilocks) Illustrations are darker - may be hard for larger groups to see.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
A really cute bedtime story. I love the little sheep laying with their feet in the air.
Rachel
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I checked this out from the library. I enjoyed the story. However, for me the most interesting part was that someone modified the book to include. sign language signals.
Kerri
How did I manage to not read this book until now??? It's funny, it has SHEEP, it's a great bedtime book, and it's entertaining for adults and kids. Russell the Sheep is (almost) my new favorite sheep. (Shaun the Sheep will always win, though.)
Bookstork Buzz
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
RUSSELL THE SHEEP, an adorable book about an adorable sheep named Russell.

He lives in Frogsbottom Field. It’s been a long and busy day in Frogsbottom Field. Grandma sheep’s been knitting. The cuddly flock has lazed and grazed. Everyone’s down for some oh-so-restful zzzz’s …. except for Russell.

Russell cannot fall asleep.

Is it not dark enough, he wonders? Down goes his woolly hat over his wide open eyes but – oooooh!… the really dark really scares him! Is it too hot? Off comes his lovely woolly s
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it

I didn't know this was Rob Scotton's first picture book before I picked it up. I've been reading his Splat the Cat books. I just thought I'd should try his Russell the Sheep books too. They're just as cute as Splat!

Russell has a lot of trouble getting to sleep. He tries all sorts of things to make himself go to bed. Finally he decides to count things, but it's not until he starts counting sheep that he finds something to make him sleepy.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Scotton, Rob. (2005). Russell the Sheep. New York, NY: Harper Collins.

Annotation: For preschoolers to first graders. In this story, Russell is the only one in Frogsbottom Field who cannot fall asleep. He tries several things to help him fall asleep and finally he begins counting things: his legs, the stars, and even sheep. Younger readers will relate to this book because they too may have trouble falling asleep at night. Additionally, young children can count along with Russell, pointing to eac
Jennifer Rayment
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Mom's Review: The artwork is worth the price of the book alone, I dare you not to fall in love with his adorable face. The prose is simple, sweet and the storyline perfect for the young and old alike, as we have all suffered the difficulty of not being able to get to sleep. Russell has a charming personality and kids will enjoy his silly antics & maybe at the same time learn some ways of helping them get to sleep -- if they can stop giggling that is. This one is a must for all parents and ab ...more
Heidi-Marie
It started out all right. I was expecting more because I'd liked the other Russell book so much. (I tend to like sheep books even more because of Mom anyhow!) It wasn't great until at least halfway through. Then I very much enjoyed it. Of course, I loved the pictures throughout. There's humor as long as you choose to see it, and choose to laugh at it.

2/6/13 & 2/7/13: I put this in the "comfort" theme, mostly because I brought Shaun the Sheep in as the comfort toy object, and Shaun and Russel
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm
  • What Pet To Get?
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Posy
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping
  • Clara and Asha
  • One Pup's Up
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now l ...more

Russell the Sheep (4 books)
  • Russell and the Lost Treasure