Start by marking “Player's Option: Skills & Powers (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Rulebook, 2154)” as Want to Read:
Player's Option: Skills & Powers (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Rulebook, 2154)

Player's Option: Skills & Powers (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Rulebook, 2154)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
These pages hold the keys to humans who spot secret doors as easily as do elves, thieves who sense illusions, half-ogre sword masters, and a multitude of other unique characters. Player's Option Rulebooks present an alternative approach to AD&D characters. Custom-craft your next PC, selecting the profession, skills, and abilities you want! Characters can even have addi ...more
Published September 16th 1997 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Player's Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Player's Option

Sean Ballantyne
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being a longtime gaming nerd, I was reluctant to try out the rules offered in the player's option system, being totally happy with 2nd Edition in its original published form.

I'm glad I was talked into trying it. The player's option system (Also including the Combat and Tactics, and Spells and Magic books) combine to essentially make AD&D 2.5 Ed.

The Player point system introduced in Skills and Powers, allows for incredible versatility in character generation. Two players, each making a figh
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've mentioned before that I settled on Second Edition D&D. I played 3rd refused to buy 3.5 edition books because edition3 didn't last long and then we were all expected to buy ALL NEW hardback books again... no too much money too soon. I bought all the 4th edition books and felt like ti mostly just dumbed the game down...so i went back to edition 2. This is a good addition to the core books...if the DM approves. You can add new kits and character abilities, as long as you keep hold of them ...more
Timothy
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm working on some game design writing, and I decided to pick this book up for some source material. I got a large-size paperback through an amazon.com bookseller for less than 20 dollars. It wasn't exactly inspiring, but it was a good buy for my project.
Derek
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who feel AD&D is stagnant
Shelves: rpg, d20
Of all of the '2.5' books I have to say I used this one the most. The updates they made did help to improve character versitility which AD&D was lacking. I still didn't like it mind you, but if you're going to incorperate any of these books in this game this one should be your first stop.
Paul
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dungeons-dragons
Not as awesome as I remember, but brought back some great memories. If you are playing second edition go ahead and get this book it does have a lot of cool ideas and alternate rules that are worth taking a look at.
Lewis
Dec 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
The book that ruined 2nd edition. Avoidee it at all costs.
Randy
Apr 21, 2015
Hal Johnson
rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2013
  • Tome of Magic (Advanced Dungeon & Dragons: Accessory Rulebook)
  • The Complete Psionics Handbook
  • The Complete Wizard's Handbook
  • The Complete Bard's Handbook
  • The Complete Fighter's Handbook
  • The Complete Book of Humanoids
  • Monstrous Manual
  • The Complete Thief's Handbook
  • Dungeon Master's Guide Rules Supplement: Arms and Equipment Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2123)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Monster Manual II (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2016)
  • Savage Species: Playing Monstrous Characters (Dungeons & Dragons Supplement)
  • The Drow of the Underdark: Forgotten Realms Accessory, 2nd Edition (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)
  • The Complete Book of Elves
  • Expanded Psionics Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement)
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)