Start by marking “The True Story of the Whole World: Finding Your Place in the Biblical Drama” as Want to Read:
The True Story of the Whole World: Finding Your Place in the Biblical Drama

The True Story of the Whole World: Finding Your Place in the Biblical Drama

Have you wondered how the Bible hangs together, or how to make sense of it all? The Bible isn't a set of separate books: it's a compelling drama that unfolds from beginning to end. This book unfolds Scripture in six "acts" from the establishment of God's kingdom to the "return of the King." The authors clearly show God working in the world and in the lives of people to est ...more
Published May 28th 2009 by Faith Alive Christian Resources

To ask other readers questions about The True Story of the Whole World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Story of the Whole World

Loraena
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Every Christian should read this. I've read through the Bible multiple times and would have said I had a grasp of biblical theology but this book beautifully walks through the story summarizing it into six acts.

"This restoration of the creation will be comprehensive: the whole of human life in the context of the whole creation will be restored. Too often our view of the future has emphasized solely the salvation of individual persons apart from the full creation and relational context in which
Dylan Gilmer
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good an awesome read to learn about our lord and savior
Joseph Johnston
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A good book on the grand narrative of Scripture, if not a little too focused on the Creation mandate and not enough on Christ...
Benjamin Hurt
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book on giving you the whole story of the Bible. If you don't know much about the Bible, this is sort of the cliff notes of what is most important about it.
Jane
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and wish it had been around when I was studying theology at uni. An excellent overview of the Bible (the true story of the world) and our place in the story. I appreciated the addition of "reflections for today" and the questions in "finding our place in the story" at the end of each "Act". I am going to recommend this book to our publishing branch for translation into Spanish.
Mike
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best overview of the big story of the Bible anywhere! I can't recommend it highly enough.
Sarah Badders
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really don't like writing reviews, but this book deserves something- to call it helpful would be a severe understatement, but that's the first word that came to mind. Even after having read through the Bible, this view of the narrative of scripture tied things together in ways I was not able to on my own, and it has been a catalyst in expanding my view of what God means to accomplish both through me and through the Church as a whole. Consequently, some of my plans have changed; not that it's a ...more
Jeff
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It's a revised edition of a previous title, "The Drama of Scripture." A very accessible treatment of the biblical narrative that enables the reader to locate themself in the story of which they are a part. I really can't think of a more helpful book for both Christians and non-Christians alike that are interested in understanding the biblical and Christian view of God and the world.
Jake
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Really good in parts but very drawn out in others. I think it could have been just as thorough in its walkthrough of the Bible and even easier to follow if it were trimmed down a bit. At its present length it would have benefited greatly from some simple visual aids (i.e. timelines for most of the chapters on the Old Testament). Overall, still a rather handy resource.
Becky Lai
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
The writing is not great (although improved from the Drama of Scripture) but as a tool/resource in a Christian's library, it is quite helpful and concise. There are parts where I feel it is too concise -- oversimplified... but since it's trying to connect the entire biblical narrative, I understand why at times it stops short of a full explanation.
Debbie
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful guide through redemptive history and a guard against taking verses out of context. This book teaches us to look at all passages light of the whole story of redemption from the Garden, to the Fall, to the history of Israel, to the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus and the promise of the New Creation! Doing this adds such richness to our reading of the Word!
Jim
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This is a good overview of the entire Bible from genesis to Revelation. It covers everything well from themes to people to covenants.

Theology is a bit conservative now and then, but not so liberal Christians shouldn't read it. Not many books do this and cover the breadth and depth of the Bible in under 200 pages.

Natalie Print
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really helpful and readable outline of the story of the Bible. I would recommend reading it - at least once! The authors also highlight 'reflections for today' to show how God's plan of redemption outlined in the Bible is still so relevant for each one of us today.
Kerry Janse
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the mind-shifts that happened as I read this book. Reading it in a shorter space of time would have given a greater feel for the unity of the themes / acts that this book was threading together.
Shari
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read to put the Bible into one story in which to hang other information.
Catherine Mullaney
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in God's Word
Recommended to Catherine by: Michael Sullivan
This is a great book to hit the highlights of the Whole Bible. I would recommend it to anyone who wants that birds eye view of the Word of God.
Suanne
Jan 14, 2013 added it
Beautifully done!
Bitsy Johnson
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a good overview of the whole Bible while offering some good things to think about and new perspectives.
Christie
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This book offers a great look at Biblical history and adds a great deal of context to the Bible. It's a bit dry at times, but there are a lot of really great insights in here.
Jason Haynes
Oct 17, 2017
Michael Kyker
Jul 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael W. Goheen (PhD, University of Utrecht) is professor of missional theology, Newbigin House of Studies, San Francisco, and Jake and Betsy Tuls Professor of Missiology at Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He is also minister of preaching at New West Christian Reformed Church in Burnaby, British Columbia, and is the author or coauthor of several books, including The Drama ...more
“Today we have different idols. . . We have trusted in human reason, science, and technology to solve our problems and progress toward a better world and a prosperous life. Yet idolatry brings death.” 0 likes