Start by marking “Bernice Bobs Her Hair” as Want to Read:
Bernice Bobs Her Hair

Bernice Bobs Her Hair

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,600 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
I want to be a society vampire, you see, she announced coolly, and went on to inform him that bobbed hair was the necessary prelude. She added that she wanted to ask his advice, because she had heard he was so critical about girls.
Published June 17th 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Bernice Bobs Her Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bernice Bobs Her Hair

Duane
Bernice vs Marjorie. Cousin vs cousin. Polite and unassuming Bernice is visiting her narcissistic and snobbish cousin Marjorie. When jealously arises over the affections of a certain young man, a battle of wits and wills ensues and reaches a conclusion that is both surprising and satisfying.

This very entertaining short story was first published in 1920 in the Saturday Evening Post. Set in the roaring twenties, but this one has a different feel than other Fitzgerald short stories that I've read.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction, ebook, kindle
"Oh, my Lord!" cried Marjorie in desperation. "You little nut! Girls like you are responsible for all the tiresome colorless marraiges; all those ghastly ineffiencies that pass as feminine qualities. what a blow it must be when a man with imagination marries the beautiful bundle of clothes that he's been building ideals round, and finds that she's just a weak, whining, cowardly mass of affectations!"

I read F. Scott's Fitzgerald's short story "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" in high school. I loved it!
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly

F. Scott Fitzgerald picked the weakest plots and settings which many who loved to have grand eternal questions spicing up their novels and stories would easily find mundane or of no interest or concern to them. Yet it is here that I find marvel in his works.

What do I care, indeed, about a love triangle among the rich, beautiful, amoral pre-war Americans? Yet he told the story nevertheless and I saw how pristine his prose was and so five stars for "The Great Gatsby" from me.

What do I care about t
Diane S ☔
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
My first Fitzgerald short story and I really enjoyed it. Fitting for the times, a story about the pitfalls of popularity and the hazard of getting what you wish for as well as the sweet taste of revenge.
Gary
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So perfectly real.
Gaele
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 5 Narration: 5 Story: 4
I am admittedly not a huge fan of Fitzgerald’s work, although I can and do appreciate his sharp wit that informs observations and commentary about behavior and motivations. What stands out most sharply is the fact that human behavior and desires have not changed: the characters in this story are self-absorbed, obsessed with fitting in, vary in their social skills and awareness, and are far too prone to influence from those on the “higher ru
Nikki
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
As good as expected, did not think it would deal with anything like this, I had more social justice female stuff because of bobbing the hair etc, but the ending was great, well deserved, and I hope Bernice learns to love her hair.
K. Anna Hardy
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have arranged my thoughts into a haiku:

"In high class combat,
The cattiness of young girls
Holds few loyalties."
Tempo de Ler
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bernice vai passar o verão com a prima Marjorie na cidade quando escuta, sem querer, Marjorie queixar-se à mãe de como a prima é insonsa, apagada e sem qualquer habilidade social; uma "seca" tão grande que nenhum jovem quer sequer dançar com ela. Depois de ameaçar que se vai embora, Bernice decide, em vez disso, seguir os conselhos da prima de forma a tornar-se mais popular entre os seus pares. Assim, aprende a manter conversas interessantes, elogiando e seduzindo os jovens do sexo masculino. At ...more
Catherine  Mustread
A satisfying ending after an uncertain beginning -- a boring girl visiting her cousin makes changes in herself in order to become popular. Though not such a great premise, there are some good tips about being a better conversationalist and focusing on the shyer members of the opposite sex.
Maria Stanica
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short story! Definitely check it out if you haven't tried anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald, yet.
Mela
I saw three levels/aspects in these short story.

--> A glimpse at those times, the life of young Lost Generation.

--> A sample of the wisdom of an author.

--> A critical (unfair?) view of women.

"...Girls like you are responsible for all the tiresome colorless marriages; all those ghastly inefficiencies that pass as feminine qualities. What a blow it must be when a man with imagination ma
Debbie
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classic F. Scott Flappers tale with a "Gotcha B** moment at the end.

Sorry for the explicative in the description but there was no other way to explain it because that is Exactly what I laughed and said at the end.

F. Scott writes "the flapper" and the snobbish rich well. That is exactly who we encounter in this short story. Bernice Bobs Her Hair. This is a story about two cousins. It's a bit of the country mouse vs city mouse in theory. Marjorie is everything city. She dresses fashionably.
Melissa
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reflections for MS Lit Class:

Bernice is described as conservative and dull in this short story, but through it all I was in her corner. As an ex-teen girl I still remember how it felt to want to change yourself to fit in (I think most adults still feel this need, it’s not just for teens, and not just for girls) “if I were skinnier, if I were funnier, if I went to the parties, if I had different friends….” The adolescent experience is a bit like playing chess, we make our moves deliberately, hopi
Sara
A story about a wallflower hopelessly behind the times until her popular cousin Marjorie gives her a makeover. She's the center of attention, even catching the glances of her cousin's favorite boytoy. When Marjorie gets jealous, she tricks Bernice into bobbing her hair knowing it'll look bad, and Bernice is humiliated.

But fear not, we're not looking at a heavy-handed Be Yourself lesson here! After realizing her cousin's selfish and jealous motives, Bernice takes her first REAL step as an indepen
Morgan
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone knows of my love for Scott Fitzgerald, I have much love for his beautiful writing style and Gatsby will forever be one of my favorites (if not my absolute favorite). Bernice Bobs Her Hair was a fun short story, it was quick and easy to read. This poor girl just wanted to be accepted by her cousin and her friends. I could not help but smile when Bernice chops her cousin's hair off in her sleep. That girl had it coming. I also really enjoyed hearing how bobbing your hair was very controve ...more
Jessen
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this short story surprised me. I enjoyed it munch more than any novel I've read by him. I'm glad I gave his short stories a chance, I'll probably read more (though I think I'm finally calling it on his novels).
Luciana Nery
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"People over forty can seldom be permanently convinced of anything. At eighteen our convictions are hills from which we look; at forty-five they are caves in which we hide."

That's the kind of insight you get from a 48-page book about a girl who bobs her hair.

That's F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Stacey (wanderlustforwords)
3.5

There were some shocking and fun parts in this short- don't want to give anything away.
Staci
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hair is important, and revenge is sweet. (Quick, one-hour audiobook.)
Leah Coffin
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mouwahahaha.
Alexis Martinez
Nov 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
This wasn't something I would ever read again. It was off to a slow start and it remained boring throughout. I only read it because it was required for my literature class.
Fawzy
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you love beautiful sentences, then you should read this book. The first Fizgerald book I read was This Side of Paradise, which I really loved. I then read Tender is the Night, which is my favorite. After thatn I went for The Great Gatsby which I found to be as symetrical and perfect as Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. I had read some of Fitsgerald's stories in school and I liked them but I had yet to get a crack at any of his collections.

Fitzgerlad used to tell Hemingway that he would cha
Kali Kamonmas
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly charming series of short stories. Fitzgerald's sparkling prose and wit, combined with his rare talent of characterizing petty, flawed, filthy-rich, relatable human beings of the Jazz Age, constantly kept me up at night reading. I shouldn't have to care why or how Bernice wanted to gain the attention of rich cute boys, and I certainly did not have to care about self-absorbed upper crust young guys like Dexter Greene or his former childhood crush. But with Fitzgerald, everything was fun an ...more
[Name Redacted]
A dark story about the deliberate superficiality and solipsism of Jazz Age youth, in which a sweet young girl from the South is horribly used and manipulated by her vain, selfish, sociopathic, popular cousin while on vacation.

If anyone ever needed proof that Fitzgerald despised his generation, it can be found right here.
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked this MUCH better than "The Great Gatsby." Listened to the audiobook on the Oodles Books app. The narrator was "Meh."
jupiter
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
marjorie deserved it !!!
Donna
The story overall was not outstanding but the ending was great. Listened to through Audible channels.
Ridhi Gupta
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since it was a short story I will give it a short review!

"That was exactly what I wanted her to do"moment!

Loved the ending!
Nádia Figueiredo
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Audio book - I was expecting a better ending, didn't get that sense of morality at all.
Revenge and the motive of revenge. 2 8 May 24, 2012 12:02PM
  • Small Craft Warnings
  • Dear Illusion
  • Midnight in Paris: The Shooting Script
  • Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and Post-War Pop
  • Big Hero 6 Junior Novelization (Disney Big Hero 6)
  • Lamb to the Slaughter
  • A Clean Well Lighted Place
  • Frisk
  • The Christmas Tree and the Wedding
  • The Collected Dorothy Parker
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
“People over forty can seldom be permanently convinced of anything. At eighteen our convictions are hills from which we look; at forty-five they are caves in which we hide.” 486 likes
“Yet how bored they both looked, and how wearily Ethel regarded Jim sometimes, as if she wondered why she had trained the vines of her affection on such a wind-shaken poplar.” 5 likes