Start by marking “Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)” as Want to Read:
Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)

Anatole and the Cat

(Anatole #2)

Clever Anatole must act to protect his job,
Published November 14th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Anatole and the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatole and the Cat

Calista
The French mouse is back in a new story. And, it won an award for this sequel, which is impressive getting the Caldecott Honor this time. This is something about a mouse or rat in Paris I guess. It makes for good storytelling.

Anatole and Gaston are in the cheese factory when they hear a cat upstairs. It impairs their work no doubt and they give bad suggestions being nervous and they leave early. Anatole loves his job so he decides to figure out a way to put a bell around the cats neck so that h
Lobstergirl
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, childhood, feline
Is there a better looking French mouse than Anatole, in his A-line coat? Are there any lovelier mouse children than Paul and Paulette, George and Georgette, Claude and Claudette? Any stranger ingredient to add to cheese than cucumber seeds? Every other page has red, white and blue illustrations.
Sylvester
3* art
3* story
Liliana
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kept me hooked.
Jasmine
This was published in the 50s, and it's really interesting to see how the styles of picture books have changed. A La Dr suess or The Story of Ferdinand, there are WAY more words per page, and smaller pictures. But like those books, this is also a delightful story that I think is still totally readable. It would be excellent to read aloud.
Mitchell
Caldecott Honor story book. Cute and definitely a real story and considering its age, better than expected in both the art and the writing. And yet a cheese tasting mouse in Paris really don't do much for me. It's not something I'd want to read over and over again. But in the right household encountering this at the exact right time, I can imagine this being a favorite. 3.5 of 5.
Patricia
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
These two Anatole books, written in the mid-50s, are so charming! I can't help but read them in my best French accent. My cheese-loving daughter loved them, too. These are books to own and to read to young children and grandchildren many times!
C.G.
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ah Anatole... he really outsmarted the cat and saved his job in the process! Catnip, cheese sandwiches, bells, bravery, and a new cheese invented by mistake. Cute book - as they all have been!
Barbara
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Found a copy at a used booksale and couldn’t resist. Such a cute story. I can empathize with Anatole the mouse - I love cheese, but not cats :)
Lauren
Nov 24, 2016 added it
Anatole is a most honorable mouse. He must provide for his beloved family, but he is determined to find a way to earn his supper. So he heads for the tasting room at the Duvall Cheese Factory. On each cheese, he leaves a small note. When workers at the Duvall factory find his notes in the morning, they are perplexed, but they realize that this mysterious Anatole has an exceptional palate and take his advice. Soon Duvall is making the best cheese in all of Paris!
Any grade level is fine for this
Stefanie Burns
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecott-honor
Funny story about a mouse who works as cheese taster at a shop. Unbeknownst to the workers who think Anatole is a man. One night he hears a cut and dashes out. This worries him. If the cat will be at the shop he will not be able to work anymore. Clever Anatole devises a plan to remedy his problem which sends up being extra successful.

The illustrations alter between 2 pages of black and white and 2 pages of color. The color scheme reflects the French flag (The story takes place in Paris.), red,
Luisa Knight
Positively charming! This mouse tale is a winner. You and your children are sure to love Anatole as he's clever, sweet and noble. The illustrations are splendid!

Ages: 4 - 8

#geography #europe #france #paris

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to cl
Jenny
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I may have enjoyed this story about Anatole even more than the first. (Despite the fact that I don't care for mice...and the thought of a mouse doing cheese tasting makes me cringe in real life, Anatole is quite likable in these stories.). Anatole's job is in danger because now there is a cat at the cheese factory. Anatole must bell the cat in order to maintain his job.

I enjoy the illustrations of Paris, Anatole and his family and loved reading his confused suggestions for the cheese
Melle
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who prefer mice to cats
Even though this book is distinctly pro-mouse, it is rather charming. It features cheese-taster Anatole and Gaston, small rodents, and Charlemagne, a handsome black-and-white cat (black with a white blaze face and white paws, in case you're curious about your black-and-white cats). The mice are cheese-tasters, and the cat is making their lives difficult; they lure the cat into a trap with Camembert, get him high on catnip, and bell him. Those devious little bastards! All things considered, you c ...more
Maria Rowe
• 1958 Caldecott Honor Book •

I’d never heard of this series, but this book is really cute! Anatole works at a cheese factory where he’s VP in Charge of Cheese Tasting, but there’s a cat running around and what’s he to do? Very cute, and the illustrations are great. I love the black-and-white drawings with big splashes of red and blue on every few pages.

Materials used: unlisted
Typeface used: unlisted
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, I was inclined to love it because of the other Anatole book I remember. This one deals with the old question of who will bell the cat. It'd make a fun pairing with Cynthia Von Buhler's take on the same story, But Who Will Bell the Cats?. Recommended to fans of Ratouille.

Library copy.
Kristy
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Charming. This Caldecott Honor book, published in the '50s, captivated my kids even with its comparatively lengthy text for a picture book and its "Frenchisms." Anatole has just about the best job in the world: professional cheese taster in a world-renowned cheese factory. The only drawback - for my oldest - was that he wanted something "more pro-cat." This book is definitely pro-mouse.
Carson
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some titles in this series are hard to find but to this day, I will sit down in the kids section with my mom and we will search for Anatole books. Most have been found at library sales. These books are ones I have to pull out several times a year to read again. These are some of the best picture books out there. If you happen to see one, buy it. Trust me. You will love it.
Lorna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Caldecott Honor 1958

Favorite line: Voila! If a man can build a mouse-trap, then a mouse can build a cat-trap!

Thoughts: This is cute, but I prefer the original Anatole book, which won an honor in 1957. Here he out smarts a cat so that he can continue his cheese tasting work.
Robert Davis
**** Caldecott Honor (1958) ****

Very charming and amusing sequel with the most celebrated mouse in all of France. This time, Anatole the cheese taster has trouble with a cat prowling about. Very enjoyable and fun.
Lynn  Davidson
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anatole worked as a cheese taster in the cheese factory. No one knew he was a mouse because he worked at night. The owner's cat became a threat to Anatole so the little mouse thought up a clever way to be warned when the cat is around so he can keep on working.
Cute story and illustrations.
Dan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the story and how the mouse created a cat trap.
Kat
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Cute, I was glad they put the belling the cat story in. It was a touch long and wordy for my three yr old niece but it held her attention longer than I expected.
MJ
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Alissa says: Too long! Mom skipped paragraphs to get to the ending.
James
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book, but I'm looking forward to reading more.
Holly
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an ok book. It is a longer children's book. It's not super long it's just more detailed than some children's books. It was cute to see from the mouse's point of view what they are feeling about the cat. I don't know if I would read it again, but it was a fun read.
Meagan Bramlage
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Genre: historically significant
Awards: Caldecott
Audience: 3rd-5th grade
A. I would use this book if they were learning about the country France or if they were learning French because its a fun story that takes place in France and most of the illustrations are in black and white which not many books are any more. I didn't like this book very much. I would probably not read it in my future classroom.
B. There were a few words in French words that students wouldn't know. Like the
Pamela Hatch
Anatole and the Cat / written by Eve Titus; illustrated by Paul Galdone -- New York : Dragonfly Books, c1957, c1985. (32 pages)

SUMMARY: Anatole is the happiest, most contented mouse in all of Paris. He is Vice-President in charge of Cheese Tasting at Duvall's cheese factory. He works in secret at night--the people at Duvall have no idea their mysterious taster is really a mouse! So M'sieu Duvall thinks nothing of bringing his pet cat to the factory...Clever Anatole must act to protec
Sandra Guerfi
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I simply adore this book. The Anatole series by Titus is one great adventure after another and they all have a distinctly French flair to them that make these stories sweet yet poignant at the same time.

In this particular story, Anatole who reviews the quality of cheeses for the Duval factory is proud of his contributions and hard work even if Mr. Duval has no idea he is a mouse. Anatole knows that his advice helps to produce the best cheeses in France. However, when a cat shows up a
Samantha
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story! Anatole is a cheese taster and is terrified of cats. One night while he is hard at work the owner's cat roams around the cheese factory causing Anatole to leave some questionable comments about the cheese. To solve his cat problem he cleverly attaches a bell to the cat by way of a sash for a collar so that Anatole will hear the bell when the cat is near and be able to escape. Everyone likes this solution and Anatole even gets a cheese named after him when it is overwhelmingly favore ...more

• Ape in a Cape: An Alphabet of Odd Animals
  • Hildilid's Night
  • Fly High, Fly Low
  • Nothing At All
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • The Most Wonderful Doll in the World
  • Just Me
  • My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
  • The Storm Book
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.

Anatole (10 books)
  • Anatole (Anatole, #1)
  • Anatole and the Robot (Anatole, #3)
  • Anatole Over Paris (Anatole, #4)
  • Anatole in Italy (Anatole, #5)
  • Anatole and the Poodle (Anatole, #6)
  • Anatole and the Piano (Anatole, #7)
  • Anatole and the Thirty Thieves (Anatole, #8)
  • Anatole and the Toyshop (Anatole, #9)
  • Anatole and the Pied Piper (Anatole, #10)