Start by marking “A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust” as Want to Read:

In this follow-up to his first book, "Considering the Horse," Mark Rashid continues to share his gift for using communication, not force, in working with horses. Rashid uses heart-warming and humorous stories to share his techniques of teaching horses by understanding their view of the world. These tales deal with many facets of buying, owning, and training horses. Stories ...more
Published February 2nd 2008 by Spring Creek Press (first published January 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
1,295 books — 637 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
Best Horse Books
524 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust
Pete
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse
A Good Horse is Never a Bad Color is by Mark Rashid I liked Mark’s first book as well. This one was returned to me from a student friend, and I read it again.

Why I like this book, and recommend it heartily to my horse loving friends especially to the new owners, is that horses are like people and have differing habits, upbringing and behaviors. Being able to understand and figure out why horses are different is explained thoroughly in this book, and will make it easier to befriend and calm a
Geri Omohundro
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: August, Mindy
I bought several "cowboy" type books for my mom for Christmas. I read this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. It reaches way beyond just the horse training set. I enjoyed the stories the author shares of growing up while working for an ol' cowboy who trains horses. He learns so much about handling animals, BUT I felt the things he learned would help us all understand animals or people, who might be frightened or confused or just balky. I felt like it gave me more understanding and patience in my eve ...more
Helen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When I was a teenager and learning how to show my 4-H calf my Dad once told me "a good cow of any breed is a good cow," when I asked him what breed of cow was his favorite. That simple phrase stuck with me and has reminded me many times to look beyond the obvious.
"A Good Horse is Never a Bad Color" tells many stories around this concept and will give any reader not only a better understanding of what makes a good horse but, more importantly, what makes a good horseperson.
Stephani Hren
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ponies-nf
This is the first Mark Rashid book I've read, and wow. I feel like this book showed me something I never knew I was looking for. It made me think a lot about the lessons that our "trainers" teach us. Do mentors like Walter Pruitt still exist? I've never had the opportunity to learn the way that Rashid learned—with a teacher that set him up to encounter a new problem and then gave him the space to work through it on his own. So many professionals teach us common sayings and facts (inside leg to o ...more
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Count me in as a Mark Rashid fan. As a newly returned and less confident rider (English this time), I have been doing a lot of research and reading in an effort to expedite this long process of horsemanship. While it can't exactly be "rushed", there are definitely things that can be understood quicker! Mark adds value to understanding where the horse is coming from, and I like that a lot. There may be English and Western and any number of sub-categories of riding, but horsemanship is an overarch ...more
Melinda
Well written, and fascinating stories about how the author learned to teach horses in a way that understands that horses don't think like people think. Worth reading again (I've read it a couple of times in the past), but it always makes me sad to read of the abuse and neglect the horses experience before Mark Rashid (or his mentor) come upon them.
Gerry
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy writing style and great stories. I didn't want this book to end.
Linda Mattison
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always been a horse lover, but never understood how to train a horse. This book was very interesting to read and made me want to get a horse just to have the opportunity to train.
Rebecca
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite !
Ellen Broadhurst
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid book of engaging stories. I'm not a huge proponent of Natural Horsemanship, but I do believe firmly that understanding where horses are coming from solves an awful lot of problems people create for themselves when working with horses. Rashid walks a line that makes sense to me; he's willing to evaluate each horse as they come and tailor his/their program to their needs.
Sequoyah
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second Mark Rashid book to read and I really enjoyed this one too!

I do enjoy his way of writing. It is in story form, but so so easy to pick up the lesson in.

This book really gave me some ideas on starting my yearling filly and helping some of my other horses.
Lesley Lodge
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses
This book was an obvious "must" for me because I've just written 'Horse and Pony Colours: Which one would you choose?' I had thought it would be the sort of book to browse through - but, no, it gripped me from the start. It's packed with advice and hints for getting the best from your horse and each piece of advice is conveyed through a fascinating story. The essential message is that good horses, like good people, come in all shapes, sizes - and colours. A horse's bad behaviour will have a caus ...more
Katie
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because I really do believe most horse people need to read this book. It's well-written and easy to read. However, I found myself getting annoyed with it because the "answers" to each story he tells seemed so obvious to me. They're not to other people, though - I've seen all the same bad behaviors in horse handling that he talks about in his book.

There are some things in here that I would still argue against - for example, starting to ride a horse at two years old - but
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The more Mark Rashid I read, the more I like Mark Rashid. He’s one of those genuine, gentle people who makes you want to find your calm and your quiet. And despite the fact that he’s exceptional at what he does, thanks to an incredible mentor of his own, he writes with an admirable and rare (particularly in the horse world) sense of humility. Genuine? Gentle? Humble? No wonder he’s so successful with his equine companions!

Much like his other books, this is a zen and soulful kind of read. It’s s
Christy Urban
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
This book is a very entertaining autobiographical story written by horse trainer, Mark Rashid about his life and how he developed his craft and passion. Rashid was mentored during his adolescence by an old cowboy, which Rashid foldly refers to as “the old man” during most of his book. ‘The old man” taught Rashid to listen to the horse and put himself in their position rather than just imposing training procedures on the horse, which was common practice.

Rashid takes us back and forwards in time t
Abby
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mark Rashid's book gives you insight into how to connect with horses by putting yourself in their place. The book is wrote by his own experiences, but even being an experienced trainer he still has humility that makes the book easier to understand. However, the answers to his experiences with troubled horses was easy to grasp and not as much of a challenge as expected. He also doesn't give different advice about a variety of horses, only the troubled ones. While he still talks about horses who m ...more
Suzanna
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I consider this book a "must read" for anyone who works with/owns horses. Rashid offers wonderful insight into the psyche of the horse, and offers invaluable tips on how to interact with one in a way that is proactive and compassionate. His writing is always entertaining, down to earth, and insightful, with witty commentary and clever imagery to help teach his concepts. Any animal lover would enjoy his books, this one being no exception.
Jen
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love Mark Rashid. He has an amazing perspective on horses... and people too. Although he talks about how to deal with a frightened horse, it works the same with people.

His stories make me cry. Make me laugh.
His story about learning to deal with a "water-shy" horse totally helped me in working with my horse. After reading Mark's perspective, I saw things completely different.
Safiya
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
A totally different approach to horse training and riding from the one I was taught and still hear in riding clubs - interestingly his advice can be applied to other species like... children! A great author whose global approach, based on Aikido and Native American philosophy, to life, horses, people should get a wider readership!
Amanda
Yet another fantastic how-to/memoir/lesson by rote book from Mark Rashid. It's difficult to describe just how life changing reading his books can be. He really gets things from the horse's perspective and helps you how to do it yourself. It will definitely change the way you look at and work with horses. A must-read for any horsey person.
Janessa
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually buy books for myself because I can always check them out from the library. This is a book I will end up buying though. If you're interested in thinking like a horse to aid in training and handling, this book is awesome! It's very straightforward and understandable. It's written in story form and is enjoyable to read.
Anne M.
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantabulous. I listened to the second edition on audible.com. Not only is the original book full of insightful anecdotes and advice for a life well-lived with compassion and communication for living creatures, but the notes at the end of the chapters is also added fun and insight. Mr. Rashid continues to live, grow and educate.
Cheyenne Shock
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in horses. It was amazing, sad, inspirational, happy, funny and a million other things! I picked this book because it was the 2nd book to a series, Considering the horse is the 1st one. I loved both books and I hope to read more of them.
Kareen Warnick
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Shelves: non-fiction
If you like horses, this is a must read. If you aren't totally into horses, the concept are actually applicable to human interaction.
C.J. Darlington
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic book from Mark Rashid. He shares training tips through compelling stories, so you learn without even realizing you're learning.
Caroline
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second read of this great book! I remembered most of it but not into details, makes great sense!
Gabby
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of all the Rashid books, love the stories of the old man!
Susan Miller
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Given as a birthday present. I enjoyed reading the training philosophy and considering the horses point of view. Consistent work with kindness at the heart of all things horse make this a great book.
Kate
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses
See my review for "Considering the Horse"
Paula
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Even if you don't like horses this is an engaging read.

• The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • The Man Who Listens to Horses
  • Chosen by a Horse
  • Cruel Candy (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #1)
  • Running with Sherman
  • All is Vanity
  • Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting
  • A Big Little Life:  A Memoir of a Joyful Dog
  • Five Acres and Independence
  • The Art of Polymer Clay Creative Surface Effects: Techniques and Projects Featuring Transfers, Stamps, Stencils, Inks, Paints, Mediums, and More
  • Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art
  • The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love
  • Fast. Feast. Repeat.: The Clean Fast Protocol for Health, Longevity, and Weight Loss--Including the 21-Day Quick Start Guide
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
Mark Rashid (pronounced RASH-id) is an internationally acclaimed horse trainer known for his ability to understand the horse’s point of view and solve difficult problems with communication rather than force. He began working with horses at age ten, when he met the “old man,” who taught him to work with horses, not against them, and to listen to what the horse is trying to say. Mark’s clinics cente ...more

News & Interviews