Start by marking “Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind” as Want to Read:
Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind

Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind

This pathfinding collection has become a seminal text for the burgeoning ecopsychology movement, which has brought key new insights to environmentalism and revolutionized modern psychology. Its writers show how the health of the planet is inextricably linked to the psychological health of humanity, individually and collectively.
Contributors to this volume include the prem
Published January 1st 1995 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about Ecopsychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecopsychology

Start your review of Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
Robert
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Every era throughout history goes through a kind of insanity. Perhaps the psychopathology of modernity is the disconnect between the psyche of nature and the human psyche. We are living in an era where the material aspects of nature are emphasized and exploited for short term economic gain. This is most likely due to our modern disenchanted world view. Technology is the crown of the Enlightenment, but when man removes himself from the Tao, he steps into a void, where human nature begins to resem ...more
Mads P.
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I first got this book in college when I was writing my honors thesis for my environmental studies certificate and English degree. I believe it's out of print now. I decided to re-read it because I'm interested in studying this more in depth now.

The book is composed of many essays that deal with the psychological component of the environmental movement, including how our physical distance from the natural world and knowledge of its destruction affects our psyche.

Not the most entertaining read, as
Kendylus Roboticus
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book gives insight into the psychological relationship between humans and the earth. It's essential for one to understand their relationship with the world and animals around them and to recognize the connections between all them. One cannot live without the other.
Clivemichael
An excellent compilation of forward thinking observations.
Jungian Psychology and the World Unconscious -Stephen Aizenstat-
"The time has come to move beyond the wildly held belief that psychological health is solely a function of individual wholeness and nurturing human relationships. Although this view has obvious therapeutic usefulness, it exists within a framework that perpetuates the separation of person from world and that denies the essential importance of an individuals surroundings."
The
Brandon Roiger
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecopsychology
The book is an excellent primer to the field of ecopsychology from a varied amount of perspectives of experts who are working within or adjacent to it. It also does a good job of including voices who provide necessary critiques of ecopsychology as a predominantly Western field. I appreciated being able to witness the tension of voices and a field that is able to hold the tension and capacity for critique. I would recommend this to any person who has some familiarity or adjacency with psychology ...more
Patrick McConnell
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decent book from uni course
Eliza
Apr 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the eco-curious
this book is a catalog of various attempts or approaches to understanding the psychology of the current human - eco relationship - including the feminist theory that taught masculinity and domination remove "man" from a healthy relationship with nature or that we must understand that the our dying earth must be cared and mourned for - a clear reminder that we cannot just recycle and buy hybrids but that we must remove ourselves from our cosumption obsession and sustainably grow and produce with ...more
Natalie
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: environment/psychology
ben took a class at MIAD that encompassed the ideas in this book. we've had this book since he took that class...i loved it then, and i have sort of "re" discovered lately. i think this book is what drove ben and i to apprentice on an organic farm after graduation of college.....feeling somewhat detatched from the cycles of nature.
Michael
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Four or five of the essays were fascinating but overall I can't really recommend this book. It doesn't even answer the basic question, What is ecopsychology? Apparently there is no single answer to that seemingly simple question.
Lindsay
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every essay had a gem buried in it. And, where are the Ecopsychology training programs in this country??? Jeanette Armostrong (Okanagan elder) wrote the last essay and every word spoke to my heart -- what an amazing woman!
Justin
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Ecopsychology, environmental psychology, environmental sociology, conservation psychology - Jesus. It's all documentation of this rare drama onfolding around us now. namely, how we live and how we die.

it's just happening faster than we ever thought.
Liz
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this for a class in undergrad. I was completely stunned with my emotional reaction to the information in this book. It is a must-read for people that care about the environment.
Daniel Mello
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Straight up: waste no time, as every page must be understood if we are to change our culture for the better! LOVED the Eco-centric insight of a variety of academics. Read it!
Chrissy
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yet another book that helps me heal and saves my life, over and over
Gaye Anderson
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read! A wonderful smorgasbord of writings by a variety of authors on an exciting topic I wasn't aware had been around for awhile. Am keen to explore this field more.
Nicole
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is what my heart's been trying to tell me since I was born.
Suzanna
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
My textbook from the Ecopsychology course at Naropa.
Dina Mahmoud
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
My Ecopsychological Bible:)
Eliot
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
It's not an easy read by any means, but a valuable book. I think it's important that we include our connection with nature as a vital part of mental health. So easy to forget in the city...
Gemini
Dec 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
I am forcing myself to finish this book. i don't like it at all, but figured it would be a good read, yeah not so much.
Renée Davis
Discuss! 1 2 Dec 30, 2017 08:26AM

• The Origin of Satan: How Christians Demonized Jews, Pagans and Heretics
  • The World's Religions
  • Alchemy Unveiled: Self-Initiation into the Western Mystery Tradition
  • The Toad in Magic, Sorcery and Mid-wifery: An occult history of the toad in symbolism, ritual, healing, folk-lore and witchcraft
  • Shamanism in Siberia and European Russia
  • Some Medieval Ideas of Magic & the Occult
  • The Toad in Magic, Sorcery and Midwifery
  • Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
  • In the Shadow of Man
  • Spiritual Alchemy: A Practical Manual for Self-Initiation into the Western Mystery Tradition
  • On Beauty
  • The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
  • Quest (The Sylvalla Chronicles, #1)
  • The Secret Child (The Sylvalla Chronicles #0.5)
  • Be Love Now: The Path of the Heart
  • God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question - Why We Suffer
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
Theodore Roszak was Professor Emeritus of history at California State University, East Bay. He is best known for his 1969 text, The Making of a Counter Culture.

Roszak first came to public prominence in 1969, with the publication of his The Making of a Counter Culture[5] which chronicled and gave explanation to the European and North American counterculture of the 1960s. He is generally credited wi