Start by marking “Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)” as Want to Read:
Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)

Forest of Doom

(Fighting Fantasy #3)

The legendary Warhammer of Stonebridge lies lost and broken in the treacherous wilderness of Darkwood Forest. Without it, the Dwarves of Stonebridge are doomed...Only the foolhardy would enter the murky depths of Darkwood. But your quest will lead you into the very heart of the forest. Dare you take on the unknown perils of Darkwood, and survive the puzzles, traps and ...more
Published February 17th 2003 by Wizard Books (first published March 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Forest of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest of Doom

Start your review of Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #8)
Leo .
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant escapism. Loved these books when I was a child. The reptilian shape changer on the cover Uugh! Scary. I wonder if David Icke read this book/played the game. LOL! ...more
Paul Christensen
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The empty-headed fungus clones in a cavern beneath the ground,
The barbarian whose ingratitude when rescued is profound;

Yaztromo's cluttered tower, the cat woman's pubic hair;
The gremlins who live at the bottom of a well; the wyvern's stinking lair.

But if you want to win, then be prepared to laugh,
Because the forest can be re-entered by a time-annulling path...
Spencer
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books when I was younger and I wanted to see if I still found them enjoyable so I picked this up and dove in! The writing may not be the most impresssive and there are fantasy clichés all over the place but I had so much fun. The rpg mechanics and sense of adventure are absorbing and well executed. This book might not be for everyone but for me the sense of nostalga and simple, effective fun made this a fantastic experience.
Michael
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Role-players, young adults, fantasy fans
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
Unlike most of the choose-your-own-adventure books I've reviewed on goodreads, I did not read this one as a child. I bought this as an adult, because the Fighting Fantasy Gamebook series had been so good when I was a kid that I wanted to try this one when I came across it used. It's been a lot of years since then, but as I recall, I managed to win the game after only one or two reads and was disappointed and put it aside for a long time before trying again.
I must have been lucky that first or
Graham
Vivid memories of this one. It was 1991, I was 10 years old and my parents just bought me a copy of this book.

They went into a garden centre. It was raining. I decided to stay in the car. I had this book, a pencil, a couple of dice (yes, I was a nerd!).

I ended up being lost in another world. Roaming strange forest paths, encountering weird beasts, occasionally getting killed and trying again. Then there was the cheating - what kid wouldn't at that age?! I totally forgot where I was that
Dayna
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I had a little craving to read some of those old school fighting fantasy books that I used to read (and cheat at) when I was a kid. So I found an app that did the some of the books (unfortunately, not the ones with Steve Jackson, which were the best) so I could reread the books and relive the action (and couldn’t cheat, lol)!

Because these are not your traditional novel, they’re a little harder to compare to a classic story, but I really enjoyed the reading and the action. The writing is fairly
Lee Osborne
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
After playing the latest Fighting Fantasy release, "The Gates of Death", and really enjoying it, I decided to revisit one of the classic early titles, and "The Forest of Doom" was an obvious choice - this was my introduction to the series, way back when it was first published in 1983. I was nine years old at the time, and my primary school teacher - a rather scary older lady who wasn't particularly down with the kids - introduced the books to the class in a rare display of cultural relevance. I ...more
W.G. Saraband
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Got struck by a hit of nostalgia when I found a game version of this book on Steam. I had read it when I was very young, after stealing it from my brother's collection.

Unfortunately, I had only the memory that this one wasn't very good compared to other books from this series, and having re read it now I seem to have confirmed that same memory. It just isn't as great as others, you don't feel like you have much choice here, everything is much more linear.

It's still fun, though.
David Sarkies
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gamer Geeks wanting something old school
Recommended to David by: See previous books
Shelves: gamebook
The first outdoor Fighting Fantasy
12 June 2012

This is the third of the Fighting Fantasy books and Livingstone has gone back to the style that was used in Warlock of Firetop Mountain, meaning that the adventure is a lot more mappable than was Citadel of Chaos. Further, the quest is somewhat less morally ambiguous than the previous two (the first being a simple break and enter, the second being an assassination), namely you are looking for two pieces of a artifact that has been lost, and then
Michael Kelly
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember that the first time I read this particular gamebook a quarter of a century ago, I managed to complete if on my very first attempt, passing through Darkwood Forest and retrieving both halves of the Dwarves' missing warhammer on the way. In consequence, I have spent the past 25+ years under the impression that this book was somehow easier than most.

Now I know that back then I just got lucky! This time round it took me several attempts, exploring the length and breadth of the forest,
Jimbo
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
The first FF that I have completed! Ok, so I didn't find the two parts of the hammer, but I lied and said I did in order to get to 400 for the first time!

I found the forest setting to be pretty similar to the previous dungeon type settings, although this story was probably the most enjoyable of the three so far.

Whilst magic was not there at the outset in this one, for all wants and purposes it was as you could purchase spells almost immediately.

Overall I enjoyed this the most of the three
Julie Kendrick
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I dont know if you have heard of Ian Livingstone and his fabulous books but I loved them as a kid. These are the books where you read a page or two and then roll a dice to determine the outcome of that part of your quest. They are so addictive and you can play/read them many times with different outcomes so you will never get bored. I'm just about to buy them all again ha ha.
Aria  Tatiana
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ldvelh
Book #3 in the Fighting Fantasy series, Forest of Doom is an enjoyable one, but maybe a bit too easy and straightforward? I don't like them hard (still haven't won #2 after trying like 3 times -_- ) but I don't want them too easy either... Still, it makes for a fun ride! I like to play these gamebooks while listening to medieval/RPG music on Youtube, it sets a great atmosphere :D
Michael Whitman
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
a bit of a walk down memory lane. I didn't manage to complete it in the first run through, but that's because I attacked the wizard.

never attack the wizard selling magic items.

simple solution to this book: max out your skill early and the battles you fight will be easy.

the plot issue straightforward, but it was still great.
Lisa Henri
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think it was very creative, fun and interesting. I read this with my brother-in-law and we had a blast! It was so much fun, i was getting so caught up in the book that i had no idea that the only thing i was doing was killing things. But the minute i died my soul died :P
John
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent hours, no weeks, no years in this book as a kid! I never played it as it was intended. The fun for me was exploring the whole thing and mapping it as I went. I ended up with great maps. I've been a map geek ever since... and am a hard core Ingress Resistance Intel operator now!
Eddy
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Played the Tin Man Games digital version.) Fun, although I imagine it would have been more frustrating without the map feature or drawing my own.
Donna
One of the better 'fighting fantasy' books out there.
David
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun! In the first tranche of 'choose your own adventure' books. I played before computer games (not that there weren't computer games, just before I had played any, if you follow?
Phil Nicolle
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great adventure book, infuriating that you can't go south! Miss what your looking for and there is no going back.
D.
Oct 02, 2009 added it
Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy) by Ian Livingstone (2003)
Sportyrod
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great children’s fighting fantasy book. You are the star of the story and get to make choices in order to fulfil a quest. You encounter all sorts of creative beings: gremlins, shape shifters, barbarians and more.

For those yet to explore this type of book, you roll the dice to determine your level of skill, stamina and luck. Each beast has their own level and the throw of a dice determines the outcome. Picking up extra equipment along the way helps the success of the journey.

The story is simple
Geovanni Corrêa
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I enjoyed helping the dwarves, that's awesome adventure in the Darkwood Forest, if you like gamebook where you are the Hero, you should play it.

Good Luck!
Jonathan
The Forest of Doom was Ian Livingstone’s first solo Fighting Fantasy gamebook following his collaboration with Steve Jackson on the series’ inaugural title, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

The book finds your character embarking on a treacherous journey into Darkwood Forest to locate two parts of a legendary warhammer which will unite the dwarves of Stonebridge against their Troll enemies. It’s a fairly thin premise which doesn’t stand up to close scrutiny, but still a step up from Warlock’s “
Alexander Curran
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
69 Small pale-skinned humanoids appear to be tending crops of different-coloured fungi.

The third Final Fantasy gamebook is The Forest of Doom by Ian Livingstone with some good illustrations by Malcolm Barter. (Also the iconic cover illustration of the shape changer reptilian lizard being by Iain McCaig.)
So the quest this time is to find the lost Warhammer from Stonebridge made by the dwarves, the rival village Mirewater in the West is also looking for the fabled weapon.
So the adventure starts
Geoff
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book much when I first read it years ago, and reading it again now I can see why. Forest of Doom is The Warlock of Firetop Mountain in the woods, a linear dungeon crawl and item hunt set in a static gameworld without much of a plot: you're a generic adventurer camping out in the wilderness, a dying dwarf stumbles in babbling about his quest for a missing warhammer, and once he croaks you set off to find the hammer in the hopes of a big payday. The book then introduces some ...more
Weathervane
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fighting-fantasy
While the story and creatures herein may not be as imaginative as Citadel of Chaos or even perhaps Warlock of Firetop Mountain, boy did the gameplay make up for it -- mainly because you were allowed to start over without dying and losing everything! I love this feature. If you made it to the "end" of the story but didn't have the requisite items, the game allowed you to return to the near-beginning and continue your search. (After a Luck check of course, which is perfectly fair.) This reminds me ...more
Dane Barrett
Ian Livingstone's first outright solo effort at a Fighting Fantasy book, and its a good one. Yet another book in which getting to the end doesn't necessarily mean you win (I prefer these ones) as you need to find and collect two pieces of a Dwarfish Hammer and return them to the village of Stonebridge. Get to Stonebridge without both bits of the hammer and you can forget about your payday!

There are some really nice touches to this book. There are a number of branching paths throughout Darkwood
Ian
Feb 17, 2019 added it
Although a Classic a little too easy,even the big bad Fire Demon was a little too easy!!! But on the plus side if you FAIL you can simply go back and start all over again with the same stats until you DIE!!
Jenny Eckloff
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read these books as a child and revisiting them was just as fun as the first time! Took me about 3 attempts to get right. Here's hoping the Goldilocks approach works for the rest as I make my way through the series again!

• Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery! #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Geronimo (Geronimo Stilton #74)
  • Black Forest Burglary (Thea Stilton #30)
  • The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)
  • Acid For The Children
  • Appetites: A Cookbook
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • The Riddling Reaver (Fighting Fantasy)
  • Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)
  • Chariots of The Gods
  • Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1)
  • Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #3)
  • Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2)
  • The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1)
  • Invasion: Time's Enemy
  • First Strike (Star Trek, #79; Invasion!, #1)
  • Federation
Ian Livingstone has been in the interactive games industry for over 25 years. In the 1970s, he co-founded Games Workshop and launched Dungeons & Dragons in Europe, later editing White Dwarf magazine. In 1982, with Steve Jackson, he wrote the first of the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks which eventually sold over 15 million copies in 23 languages. In 1995 he led the merger of computer games company ...more

Fighting Fantasy (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #1)
  • The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, Reissues 1, #4)
  • City of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy, #5)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy, #7)
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)