Start by marking “Under the Yoke (Draka, #2)” as Want to Read:
Under the Yoke (Draka, #2)

Under the Yoke (Draka #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  447 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The second of the Draka series.The Eurasian War is over. Nazi Germany and the Japanese Empire have been defeated. With the exception of the British Isles Europe belongs to the Domination. Now it is the turn of the Europeans to be experience life as serfs under the heel of the Domination. Now it is their turn to be Under the Yoke.
Paperback, 1st U.S. Edition, 501 pages
Published October 1st 1989 by Baen Books (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Yoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Yoke

Duffy Pratt
I wrote a long review of this book and Goodreads ate it. I have to start writing the reviews in a word processor and pasting them here. This has happened too many times. Here's the shorthand version of the review.

Better than the first book.

It concentrates on Draka consolidation of new territory, especially on the domestication of their new slaves. Draka are bastards. New generation of Draka think that its their birthright. They see themselves as becoming a kind of philosopher king after the enti
Ascian

Deliciously brutal. I love that Stirling pulls no punches in this book.
Elizabeth Rebecca Shaw
This is a sequel. It has some interesting moments but the ending is quite unsatisfactory. It is about occupation and enslavement of the French by the Draka. It is interesting to think how educated people would respond to being enslaved.
Jason
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this book, although I think it was a good story and well-written. I have nothing against Southerners as such, but reading Southern dialect for page after page after page is painful. It means I have to internalize the single worst English accent and have -that- in my head, which is like finding a lollipop in a gutter and keeping in your mouth for a week. Even worse, the author doesn't use it consistently so characters are dropping in and out of it, which makes it harder to ignore. ...more
Checkman
The second installment in Stirling's Draka quartet. A famous (and controversial) alternative history series in which the European settlers in South Africa become a world conquering empire over a 250 year span. Over the years I've read numerous articles in which Stirling's creation is ripped apart by alternative history connoisseurs, but also defend by others. Stirling himself has been accused of being a sexual pervert, racist and fascist, but he has gone on to have a long and prosperous career s ...more
Annette
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Second installment in Stirling's "Draka" series, and alternate history in which slave-holding European settlers took over most of Africa in the 19th century and became a super-power by WWII.
In "Yoke," the action takes place in occupied Europe, where the Draka are semi-frantically attempting to digest their doubled territory. This includes, of course, converting the majority of the population to serfs (their euphemistic term for their slaves.) Many do not take kindly to this new status, and in a
Steven
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'd like to go 2.5 stars. It suffers from the same problem of "good guys fail, bad guys are competent and evil". It's essentially a tragedy, and I don't usually like tragedy.

This one is less plot-focused and more character-focused than the previous book. Treating the plot as less important means that it's presented somewhat achronologically, with a couple of extended flashbacks. One flashback makes sense (it occurs before all the other events of the book, and is presented mid-book); the other do
Billy Roper
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the Draka series as a young man, before I was allowed to use phrases such as that to supply perspective and expression to the depth at which books affected me. They were perhaps the first alternate history novels I was ever exposed to, and dyed my wool to the follicle as a writer, to this day. Well, not to this day, as I haven't written a thing but book reviews this morning, but to this year, at any rate. What if Icelandic volcano eruptions had sent refugees to bolster a South Africa alre ...more
David R.
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
The second in Stirling's "Draka" series. This one takes place five years after the first novel, and the horrifying Draka regime is grinding continental Europe into serfdom. The action largely takes place on a French "plantation" where new serfs (a French communist and Polish nun) confront the realities of their new, highly unpleasant circumstances, and a mysterious American agent strives to make life more difficult for the Master Race. As always, Stirling's style is dark, brooding, and top heavy ...more
Leagle
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Stirling can be uneven, but he is rarely boring. I vacillated between four and five stars for this book -- thinking I should have given it a five because it disturbed me so much. As one reviewer said, "think about history - then make it worse." Much worse. A hypothetical slavery-based, war-glorifying, ruthless society -- that thrives. Eek.
Tom Mccarthy
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Bill
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UTY is the sequel to Marching Through Georgia. Loyalists from the American Revolution are resettled in the Cape Town colony and become a continental military power known as the Domination of the Draka.
After conquering Eurasia, the Draka begin to remake Europe as they had Africa and southwest Asia prior to the Eurasian War (1942-46).
Mitchell
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely a book that supports the idea that all cultures are not equal. Absolutely dreadful dystopia, 2nd in the Draka series. A bit too much military, definitely too much torture. Some editing slips especially in a critical scene - and yet the ideas are strong enough to overcome most of this. 4 of 5.
Tim
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
The second was not as good as the first. There was a switch in major characters, and it wasn't for the better. I was looking forward to seeing the characters develop, but they only played minor roles, if any.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love alternate history stories. This one shows what could happen if you had a country as efficient and dedicated as the Germans but not run by madmen. Extremely great storyline, highly recommended.
David
Ed
Jun 10, 2009
Michael Hatt
Apr 21, 2015
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion #3)
  • Hitler Victorious: Eleven Stories of the German Victory in World War II
  • The Texas-Israeli War: 1999
  • Hannibal's Children
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • 1862
  • The Man with the Iron Heart
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • 1945
  • Cross The Stars
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

MINI AUTO-BIOGRAPHY:
(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat
More about S.M. Stirling...

Draka (5 books)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • The Stone Dogs (Draka, #3)
  • Drakon (Draka, #4)