Start by marking “Finally Home: Lessons On Life From A Free Spirited Dog” as Want to Read:
Finally Home: Lessons On Life From A Free Spirited Dog

Finally Home: Lessons On Life From A Free Spirited Dog

Do you love books about dogs? Finally Home: Lessons on Life from a Free-Spirited Dog is a book about a dog named Buddy, a golden retriever who touches the lives of everybody he meets. The heartwarming, true story of an excessively mischievous dog that had been shuffled from owner to owner since no one could control his crazy behavior. He was on his way to meet his fate at ...more
Published March 15th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finally Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finally Home

Heather
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Although if you are a dog lover you will probably appreciate this light and easy read on some levels, it is an example of the fact that almost anyone can publish these days. The book has numerous typos and the writing style is less than polished.

This is essentially the story of a person who adopts an untrained dog and then finds ways to live with the dog's quirks. Rather than train the dog with effective positive training methods and patience, the owner decides that the behaviors are "cute quir
Melissa
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I love good dog stories that showcase the relationship between dogs and their families. However, the simple writing in this book failed to engage me as a reader. The writing was very basic and unorganized. I felt like I was reading a high school writing assignment. The stories she told were not exciting or humorous. I rushed through it just to be done with it. I later realized it was self published, which explains a lot.
Jill
Sep 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not worth the paper it was printed on. Yes, great dogs, but HORRIBLE writing style. Hire a grammar coach. Hire an agents that will say "Are you writing for 3rd graders?". I want my money back. Would have given -1 stars if that was a option.
Maria Turley
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got this book because I love stories about dogs and this looked like it would be an enjoyable one. I stopped after reading the first few chapters. The writing is amateurish and reads like a high school writing assignment. It moves very slowly and cannot hold the reader's interest.
Linda
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
As I read this book all I could think about was the dog that my sitter rescued and vice versa. He was so timid and shy and became her shadow and faithful friend. He had his quirks and was loved by all that had the pleasure of knowing him. His time here on Earth served a greater purpose than one could imagine. Rest is peace buddy (Humphrey Peppodopolous....or simply Pepper).💗
Elizabeth
Cute story

As an owner of two dogs I enjoyed reading this book. I love my dogs and give them tons of love and attention; but after reading this I appreciate them that much more.
Lucinda
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An illuminating and insightful personal account that speaks from the heart…

I personally connected to this book having owned rescue Cocker Spaniels for many years {Cocker Spaniel Club}, and so I was able to empathize and relate to the narrative by prior awareness and understanding. Anyone who is a responsible Dog owner will be keen to learn from others experiences, especially so in regards to rescued Dogs {where you don’t always know the animal’s past history}. I loved how * a portion of the proceeds from
Robin
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
The past decade or so have seen numerous books come out in groups: Jane Austen books (those with Jane Austen in the title and/or as an updated version of an Austen book), animal books (following the success of Marley & Me, Art of Running In the Rain, and Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, and, more recently, vampire books.

Having read several books from the animal genre, including the much-loved Marley & Me, I decided to read Finally Home: Lessons on Life From A Free Spir
Mindy
Buddy is an extremely "active" golden retriever who finally finds a permanent home with the author and her future husband, Michael. The author provides a hilarious account of the life of Buddy including his stealing addiction, undying energy and intelligence. He outwits his owners during a trip as discovered after they suffered for 4 days. The Benadryl pills which were supposed to help sedate him for the journey from New York to Nevada are found upon cleaning the car in Nevada. He devoured the p ...more
Shirley
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Parker has captured the essence of the wonderful breed of Golden Retrievers. Though all Retrievers aren't as mischievous and spontaneous as Buddy, they all seem to share that special closeness with their owners.

Thank you Mrs. Parker for for allowing this book to focus on Buddy's life. When I feel the death of a beloved pet is eminent, I often have to put the book aside until I work up the courage to let go of the "family member" of whom I have become so attached. I will have to pass o
CatBookMom
We recently acquired a rescue dog, so I thought this freebie would be interesting. Ms Parker, though she seems to have a couple of other published books, isn't a very skilled author, at least based on this effort. I am among those who have learned that positive reinforcement training works very well, and I am amazed that Ms Parker didn't seem to have tried very hard to train Buddy - or at least she didn't write about it. At some point in their lives, they lived next door to a dog trainer, but th ...more
Melissa
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was an easy read, but nothing amazing. I enjoyed the beginning as some of Buddy's habits are evident in my goldendoodle, so I could easily relate (and laugh). I just felt like I was reading another Marley & Me copycat. Hey, I'm a dog lover, my dog is funny, maybe I should write a book too!
The author has an excellent chapter at the end that anyone considering becoming a dog owner (especially for the first time) should read.
June
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why are "over-the-top" dogs so often Golden Retrievers? I kept remembering my own over-the-top Golden Retriever, Remedy, while reading about Parker's high spirited, Buddy. I share her view that life is seldom dull with such a house-mate. Buddy certainly tested Parker and her husband, but he gave so, so much in return. Parker's writing is a bit unpolished, but this was an enjoyable read.
Linda
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable book about a Golden Retriever named Buddy. I was so happy to know ahead of time that the dog does not die...but now I know that he does in the sequel! The author has the same feelings about dogs that I do...and about people who throwaway their dogs. I have no use for those people...and totally can not understand that mentality!
B
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think out of the box

Not what I expected, but I enjoyed.
Just because one training technique worked for one person, doesn't mean it will work for another. Made me think of some of the idiosyncrasies and antics of some of my dogs.
Susan
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book about a dog who does not die at the end!! Extremely funny moments in this book. I laughed and read passages out loud to my Mom while I was reading it. I couldn't help it - I wanted her to enjoy the moment too! A must read for any dog lover!!!
Melissa O.
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute story for dog lovers or those thinking about getting a dog.
Monica
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful read! It brought back so many memories of my Golden, Tyler. And it also made me laugh as I compared this dog to the dogs I have now.
Meredith
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
WONDEFUL book. So heartfelt and real. Buddy is the most adorable dog. Anyone who has owned a pet can relate. (Even those who are not dog lovers will find this book a great read).
Elizabeth
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals-dogs
An adorable and hilarious story. Great book for animal lovers.
Zulay
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
very funny, entertaining and thoughtful I enjoyed a lot
Connie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a dog lover and my Rudy is just like this dog...I just laughed out loud at some if his antics and kept saying "this is my Rudy" OMG!!! Loved this book!!!!
Janet C.
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers everywhere
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
A wonderful, heartwarming story of the love a dog brings to the life of the author. I loved the book and glad to have read it.
Wendy
Mar 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Finally Home- Lessons on Life from a Free-Spirted Dog 1 8 May 24, 2010 10:14AM

• Mornings with Barney: The True Story of an Extraordinary Beagle
  • The Man Who Talks to Dogs: The Story of Randy Grim and His Fight to Save America's Abandoned Dogs
  • Pawprints of Katrina: Pets Saved and Lessons Learned
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch
  • Just Gus: A Rescued Dog and the Woman He Loved
  • Come Back, Como: Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
I live in Las Vegas, NV with my two retrievers. I started writing over fifteen years ago, mostly technical manuals with a little added pizzazz. I've also been writing novels since I was a teenager, however back then, they were either hand-written in penmanship that was barely legible or type-written. Penmanship and typewriters. Do those words still exist? Do you remember those typewriters? Didn't ...more
“Being a hero to someone, even if it is a dog, is a feeling like no other. Though it can be frustrating, it can be the most rewarding thing to give someone a second chance at a happy life.” 10 likes
“While observing some people with their dogs, it is often a question of who is training whom. It is not uncommon to see an owner with their arms extended, holding on for dear life, while their dog runs wild. Unfortunately, I was becoming one of those owners.” 3 likes