Start by marking “Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness” as Want to Read:
Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness

Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  2,036 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Warning: Using this book could be hazardous to your ego! The slogans it contains are designed to awaken the heart and cultivate love and kindness toward others. They are revolutionary in that practicing them fosters abandonment of personal territory in relating to others and in understanding the world as it is.

The fifty-nine provocative slogans presented here—each with a
Published July 29th 2003 by Shambhala (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness, please sign up.
Suzanne Arcand I'm not sure about being the best book to serve your purpose. I think that the best approach to Tonglen and working with slogans is to study them with…moreI'm not sure about being the best book to serve your purpose. I think that the best approach to Tonglen and working with slogans is to study them with a teacher.

If you already know those practices, then maybe this book would help. However it is far from a self-help book. It's more a book on which to meditate and sip slowly.
(less)

William1
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Rough sledding. The writing is tortuous. I would direct interested readers to the books of Trungpa's most famous student, Pema Chödrön. Her well written and far more engaging works—especially Start Where You Are, The Places That Scare You and When Things Fall Apart—do a better job of conveying the Master's teachings than his own books.
Valerielynnbassett
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
THis was part of the curriculum for a class on Lojong - which simply means "mind training" in Tibetan - a way of using something like proverbs to train the mind in Buddhist precepts. They are wonderfully sharp, witty gems that have come down through centuries and translation. I found them and this book very lucid and helpful. It will take many readings and much contemplation and practice to really "get it," but that's the whole point - these are connected to a practice.
Vanessa
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book grabbed me. it is based on lojong training in Mahayana, accompanied by commentary written by Chogyam Trungpa. feels timely for all the shit going in the world, to stay in the seat of transpersonal power and not get pulled into reactive mind. true compassion in practice. very helpful.
Ellery
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dharma-books
Chogyam Trungpa's interpretation of the slogans is direct and to the point. It goes well with reading two or three other interpretations along with it. I wouldn't recommend it if it's the only book on the lojong slogans you're going to have. If I had to choose one it be Traleg Kyabgon's because of how thorough it is. For example, on some slogans Trungpa writes three sentences while Kyabgon will write 3 pages. Still, I'm giving it 5 stars because of how excellently written many parts are and beca ...more
StudioWellspring~Anjie
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
i'm taking an essential shmbhalal buddhism class right now and this is one of the required readings. it is good to be sure, but very intense and full of details that only a well-read shambhala or buddhist practitioner would fully grasp. so i wouldn't recommend reading it without a book club or class or teacher to discuss it with.
Spyros
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This comes from the guy who couldn't train his mind enough to find his local AA meeting, even after becoming a cripple at the age of 23 or so from a dui, which, to his credit, did not stop him from having a family and a sizeable shanga.

Trungpa was a very colourful character, certainly gifted, certainly a charmer, most certainly a drunkard, and he had an equally colourful sangha where me managed to appoint an hiv positive alleged rapist as an heir, the inimitable Ösel Tendzin, the Vajra Regent,
Mark V.
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lojong (slogan training for the mind) is a very valuable tool for increasing awareness and focus for the committed Buddhist.

And Trungpa, a great teacher, offers here a helpful commentary on the method.
Ymfoo1
Jun 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Very though provoking. Some of the teachings especially on tonglen and breathing meditation: breathing out good, loving kindness and breathing in bad.. How to? difficult to accept or reach that level of compassion.
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the Cultivating Loving Kindness practice.
Elizabeth Lozano
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
I have read this book 4 times. It is worth reading a chapter occasionally, even randomly. Quite inspired.
Jekaterina Dmitrijeva
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
Lai arī autors apgalvo, ka grāmata ir iesācējiem-budisma praktiķiem, jāatzīst, ka tā bija diezgan sarežģīta klausīšanās. Saturs prasa lielu koncentrāciju, apdomāšanos un analīzi pēc noklausītā, vietām papildus izpēti. Kā galveno plusu var minēt autora mēģinājumus izvairīties, cik iespējams, no specifiskiem terminiem, humora izjūtu, kā arī lielu iedvesmu, ko klausīšanās ir devusi manos mēģinājumos sakārtot prātu.
Keith Willcock
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have the 1993 version of this book but it is the same length so I assume the content is pretty much the same. I call this my little book of reminders. Originally written down in the 1100's as the Root Text of Training the Mind these 58 slogans's offer practical instruction on how to live life from the Manahayana Buddhist point of view in stead of from a selfish materialistic perspective. Chogyam was known as a "crazy wisdom" teacher and for anyone who was privileged to know him he had a tremen ...more
Kevin
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of getting this in audiobook form. The poor review is more related to the horrible narration than the book itself. The book itself is probably worthy of a three-star rating, while the audiobook narration made me want to make it a one-star... so I'm going for the middle path and giving it a two-star...

The content is just as the description suggest... it's a collection of slogans and phrases. They are meant to inspire, explain, and enlighten (or something like that). If that's a
Benjie Deford
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has helped guide my life like no other, based on a series Of slogans to help lay practitioners hundreds of years ago meditate and do meditational practice within lay Tibetan life. Yet it is more than important still today since it shows us how to live with Buddhism instead of how to be a Buddhist by leaving the world. When I asked my one time college mentor my anthropology teacher who had been a Buddhist monk in Thailand for five years for the best book to read about Theravada or Buddh ...more
Stephanie
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Trungpa is rad. It nice to read a book about Metta that mentions punk rock too. He understands the humans pretty well.

His thoughts on forgiveness are interesting. Don't forgive if it means you are surrendering yourself. Don't forgive quickly or thoughtlessly, that justifies the trespass. You may feel better but it might not be real.
Meg
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the first two sentences on the back of the book: "WARNING! Using this book could be hazardous to your ego!" This book contains 59 slogans that are meant to help meditation students in mind training. Trungpa, to me, is always provocative to read. He cuts through the fluff and gets down to the simple truths.
Cherie
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buddhists, those trying to live mindfully
B+ This book is an example of what a genius Trungpa was. He truly gets how to explain things to people. He uses slogans and everyday examples to try get people to think and act more mindfully and fully embody loving-kindness.
Brian Sollors
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good book...Small, but super deep. A lot of it went over my head. What I did get out of it was the need to lose our ego's, be more compassionate and meditate as much as possible. We need to show love and kindness toward others
Geri Degruy
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about calming and training the mind which relates to every moment of every day we live and every relationship we have. It's hard stuff. Chogyam Trungpa doesn't pull any punches although he also has a good sense of humor. I've read this many times and will read it many more.
Patrick Taylor
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism, poc-authors
I find the lojong principles and slogans incredibly helpful guides in how to deal with the world, but I didn't love this book. Pema Chodron and Norman Fischer have written books on Lojong that are more accessible to Westerners, and I'd recommend those over this one.
Rhonda Lstraw
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book though the writing was choppy. I read it for a Lojong Mind Training class. There's a lot to learn in this book. The 59 slogans and explanations plus the 2 ending points made the book worthwhile.
Maggie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the best of the three of chogyam trungpa audio renditions of his lecture series yet! his words capture the direct issue in understandable terms and examples. i didn't agree with all of his examples but his main points are flawless.
Carolyn
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Sometimes I lose track of what he is trying to say - these being transcribed from dharma talks - but sometimes his examples and explanations are right on. His wisdom just cuts through. Makes me want to re-read Pema Chodron's book on the same topic though - for clarity.
Duncan
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended. It really opened my eyes to what Buddhist practice is, rather than what I thought it was at this time.
Mindy Kannon
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspirational
One needs a bit more experience with the religion to get all the meaning that this book has to offer.
I will revisit again when I am more knowledgeable.
Stu Webbb
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
As a Buddhist, I worked with these slogans for about a year. I can't say they stuck with me. They didn't reach my heart.
Christ-pher
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These ideas will dwell in my mind for a long time to come. When attachments arise, say "go away, little ego" and think instead of the liberation of others.
Greta
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chögyam Trungpa was a very wise man and his words of wisdom are worth reading. That's all I have to say.
Jessica Blair
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trungpa is almost never a disapointment, a little long in the eplanations but a big help none the less it deserves 4 stars.
Auronee Islam
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book reads well. It's always good to be reminded and re-connect with the teachings and practices. A handy guide.
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Nothing Special
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • The Life of Milarepa: A New Translation from the Tibetan
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al ...more
More about Chögyam Trungpa
“The Root Text of the Seven Points of Training the Mind, and on the commentary by Jamgön Kongtrül.” 0 likes
“and your sense of personal authenticity and power should be resolved into virtue.” 0 likes