Start by marking “Hip Tranquil Chick” as Want to Read:
Hip Tranquil Chick

Hip Tranquil Chick

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Hip Tranquil Chick addresses that huge but unacknowledged demographic of fashionistas equally at home at Bergdorf's and the yoga studio. The book is divided into two major sections that cover all bases for the style-minded seeker. "On the Mat" shares seven must-have modern-girl yoga sequences, such as "Healing Hip Openers" and "Negativity Releasing Heart Openers," and expl ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by New World Library (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hip Tranquil Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hip Tranquil Chick

Feb 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Recommended to Jennifer by: Juliette (recommended the blog)
Shelves: yoga, 2009
ugh. While I think Ms. Wilson has good intentions, this book is just too contradictory. "resist consumerism! be happy with what you have!" "have five black skirts! have peppermint foot scrub! have bubble baths! have! have! have! have!" I kept reading it wondering if the author had been around four pages ago. Remember four pages ago? It was fun wasn't it?

I think all of the topics attempted are great - yoga, finances, fashion, etc - but I think there are far better books out there that are just a
Angi M
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: couch potatoes
Shelves: doingthings
I originally only looked at this book because I was searching for new yoga poses. Turns out it's only marginally about yoga. It's a really good book if you've been feeling stuck, or haven't gotten out much lately. Very inspiring. It will help you get your butt off the couch. And get rid of the old, ugly things at the back of your closet, too.
Riona
Jul 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Hideous: Like Helen Gurley Brown threw up in the Spirituality aisle of Target's book section.
Kelly Tobin
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kelly by: kimberly wilson!
Shelves: previously-read
Buy the book here at: http://www.hiptranquilchick.com/shop....

This book is a super fun read! I read it on the plane on the way home to Boston, and then my Mom snatched it from me! I got another copy--- and I think I lent it to another friend. Needless to say I don't currently have my own, but you can
buy the book at: http://www.hiptranquilchick.com/shop....

Info from the fabulous website:

Finally a book for the busy girl-on-the-go seeking to combine tranquility with flair. Hip Tranquil Chick is a
April MacMillian
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yoginis
Shelves: spiritual, women
A practical guide to applying a yoga lifestyle. for any woman daring to be a little different, a little eccentric, a little fearless, this book can be great resource. Kimberly also suggests the resources that have inspired her, along with some great tunes and ideas in the "Om-Work" sections at the end of each chapter.

Kimberly Wilson started a yoga studio in her living room (lovingly dubbed the "Pink Palace", pink being her signature color). When her student "following" got too large, her studio
Em
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly Wilson has a personable, chatty style of writing and her book aims to reconcile the practice of yoga with the western, commercial world which we inhabit.

The book covers areas from types of yoga, yoga poses, breathing and applying these techniques to everyday life. There are practical suggstions with regards to your home, your relationships and career as well as some good ways of using yoga to help you deal with lifes challenges. As with any book of this nature, you take what applies an
Amanda
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had run into a lot of the ideas in this book from other places. However, I really enjoyed the fun, spunky presentation of this book. The organization of the chapters divides ideas up very well, and the topics are punctuated by shorter tips and sidebars to make it a pleasure to page through. The "OmWork" (super cute name for the personal growth activity suggestions for this yoga-based book) at the end of each chapter helps turn this book into a useful tool.

A friend hosted a girls' night in to
Juliette Morris Williams
Well intentioned, with great advice and a supportive vocabulary. I have been struggling with how to describe this book a bit more, but honestly - I think I'm just not really into Ms. Wilson's personality.

She's very driven, very focused on what works for her, and that's wonderful. It's just a bit too 'much' for me, I think.
Jodi
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually thought this book was fun but still really provided a lot of great ideas on how to incorporate yoga into daily life. You know from the title that you'll be getting a lot of fluffy references to cosmos and kitten heels, but I thought the author came across as excited about yoga, provided great information on how it can really improve your life, without taking herself too seriously.
Dayla
After reading this book, I decided I needed to purchase Yoga apparel for use as my "casual clothing." I loved this book. It just made me feel good all over reading it. This book is like a day at the spa.
Erin
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemingly a little shallow at times (are we all really rushing off to dates, dinner parties, and fabulous museums?), this book nevertheless has some great instruction on basic yoga poses and how to incorporate yoga principles into your life both on and off the mat. It's a fun, easy read.
Jenny
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've listened to Kimberly Wilson's podcast for what seems like eons. This book is an extension of that with practical advise and yoga poses. I really appreciate her positive approach to life. It's a wonderful read, and it's pink!
Diana
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the pink cover fool you. This book has great information for your life and your yoga practice. After reading this book I had two goals - become a yoga teacher and finish my graduate degree - I did both and credit this book with those goals. It's a very good read.
Amanda
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fluffy title, this book is full of useful information for someone just starting yoga. It gives an easy-to-understand breakdown of the spiritual principles of yoga and tips on using yoga to cope with life. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in giving yoga a try.
Donna Wynn
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves yoga
Recommended to Donna by: Karen Bourdon
This book was sent to me as a surprise from a long time friend, we share the love of yoga! This was such a fun and delightful perspective on living my yoga. I recommend it as a fun and refreshing read on yoga!
Minay
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A pleasant book for adding simple yoga techniques to one's self-improvement plan. Calm, rational suggestions and information. Anyone can benefit just from browsing the book or from applying a principle or two. not a hyper disciplined approach unless you choose to put that emphasis on it.
Jenn
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: Stacey Angel
An insightful tool for those who like yoga, think they want to add more tranquility to their lives and those who are searching for more of their true selves. I appreciate the spirit of the book and the easy ways to incorporate yoga in to daily life. I highly recommend it.
Paula
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
can't wait for kimberly's next book "Tranquility" to come out! this is a great book for women who feel overwhelmed in life :)
Kimberley
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, empowering, enlightening, if a little too lean. Still, a good jumping-off point for women looking to kickstart a spiritual practice, delve deeper with their yoga or initiate self-inquiry.
Maggie Marton
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Really adorable guide on applying yoga's principles to our daily lives, and the illustrations are really fun.
T.
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! I love a pink, girly book. My favorite sections are: yoga, goals, and financial. I like the quotes sprinkled throughout the book, too.
Leslie
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book -- a light easy-to-pick-up-and-put-down book that offers up great advice for achieving that "yoga-esque" balance in all areas of life.
Becky
I browsed this at my spa day in between massages. It had some really nice quotes that I will try and get to post here on my review.
Eileen
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining.
Cyd
I bought this used when I was just starting yoga, and then didn't finish it for a couple years. Once again, an unexpected connection emerged to my current efforts to declutter and simplify. Even though I'm not in the target demographic for this book, I found parts of it resonated quite a lot with my developing Franciscanism.
Christine Mason
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I love Kimberly's practical, soulful approach to creating bliss and tranquility in my life. I pull out this book whenever I need a quick dose of inspiration.
Debbie C
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, the name is super cheesy, and I'm not a fashionista...um...at all. But! This was a gift from a friend a few years back, and I'm just now getting to it. Coincidentally, I just finished reading "Flow," also a gift from a dear friend, and it became an instant favorite, one that I would recommend to others as a guidebook for life. I have noticed that HTC offers the same basic advice, but with an emphasis on yoga, that "Flow" does, although the latter is much more scholarly, longer, and more in d ...more
Mare S
I really enjoy Kimberly Wilson's blog and am still a beginner at yoga and thought this book would be a great asset. There were great nuggets of information and some of the diagrams of poses were useful, but I feel like the audience that this book attracts is probably aware of a lot of the beginner's yoga information.

I also think this might be one of those books that works better in audio format (less the yoga diagrams part) as the pages are very busy with tips, stories, the main information, and
K
I listen to this blog occasionally and find the author to be rather vapid and pseudo-spiritual. I can't really take spirituality advice from a woman who uses the word 'cute' so liberally and recommends buying a Marc Jacobs Stella bag after discussing the eightfold path.

She seems nice and does give occasional good advice, but nothing even slightly profound. I much prefer Steve Ross' 'Happy Yoga'.

Melissa Connolly
I had trouble getting into this book at first, but once I did, I was glad. It has some great nuggets and tips for a more creative, balanced life. I read this book, along with two others, in a creativity workshop and found it helpful to discuss and work through it together. You can read my full review and about my experience in the workshop on my blog here: http://melissaconnolly.blogspot.com/2....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Yoga and the Path of the Urban Mystic
  • Girl Seeks Bliss: Zen and the Art of Modern Life Maintenance
  • OM Yoga: A Guide to Daily Practice
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Insight Yoga
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Operation Beautiful: Transforming the Way You See Yourself One Post-it Note at aTime
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass)
  • Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action
  • The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl's Guide to Love, Life and Foolish Bravery
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder

I'm a writer, therapist, designer of eco-friendly TranquiliT clothing, and founder of Tranquil Space—named among the top 25 yoga studios in the world. I dream of Paris and global animal welfare.

You'll often find me sipping fragrant tea, practicing yoga on a leopard-print mat, or leading retreats around the world. My work has been featured in US News & World Reports, Washingtonian, Fast Company
More about Kimberly Wilson...