Start by marking “The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook: More Than 100 Healthy Recipes for Everyday Snacking” as Want to Read:

The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook is a cookbook devoted to wholesome eating. It satisfies our desires for snacks while keeping us healthy. With more than 100 snack recipes from cookies and cakes to ice cream and smoothies, Dr. Laura Trice is on a mission to make healthy eating more fun with treats such as lemon pound cake, Boston cream pie, and chocolate-banana milkshake. W ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published May 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook

Joelle Anthony
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I guess if you have a sweet tooth and are trying to find healthier (although, I wouldn't call these healthy - there's lots of evaporated cane juice, which is still sugar) recipes, this might be a fine cookbook. But I was looking for healthy savory snacks and the few that were listed were really basic and obvious...crackers with melted cheese? Ummm...okay. The writing is fine and the tips seem helpful. I didn't TRY any of the recipes because they were all for sweets. For what I was looking for, i ...more
AnandaTashie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, non-fic
A snack cookbook that uses whole food ingredients. Not exactly _healthy_ across the board, but healthier than many alternatives available.

Some of the recipes are naturally gluten-free. (A handful are specially gluten-free, but that means they're heavy on rice, and I'm moving away from that.) In many, the sugar content is too high so that will have to be modified for me.

Having said that though, there are some that caught my eye that I'm going to give a try, such as:
Honey Almond Protein Bars, Ca
Kellea
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cooks, dessert lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Usually, snacks are evil. In the case of this cookbook, they all seem pretty tasty and healthy. The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook is a great resource for people like me, who enjoy sweets every now and then, but are seeking alternative ways to enjoy them without blowing your healthy eating plan. With recipes from granola, cakes, muffins, smoothies, to homemade ice cream -- they have every sweet tooth covered. I will definitely be adding this book to my collection this summer.
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Enticed by the photos and the title, I checked this one out but was kind of disappointed by it. Not many new ideas here...use honey, whole wheat flour, unrefined ingredients, etc. However, she did suggest making smoothies and freezing them in popsicle molds; why didn't I think of that?? I now have blueberry-strawberry-banana smoothie popsicles in my freezer. Yum!
Tamara
Some extremely simple recipes with only a few ingredients, like Lemon Kale Chips. Butternut Squash Nuggets. Yum.

But some recipes get more complicated and a lot require something called "evaporated cane juice crystals." Sounds like a fairy tale ingredient!
Christiana
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
This book sounds like a good idea, but most of the ingredients are stuff I would have to buy special. Considering how often I grocery it up, I don't think this is the book for me. Maybe when I become independently wealthy and hang out at home all day?
Danielle
Shelves: cooking
No good
AlohaKarina Chapman
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best recipes ever...try the vanilla ice cream and definitely make the chocolate sauce. We use half maple syrup, half agave... yum! Who needs Hershey's?
Ashish Soni