Start by marking “Vertigo” as Want to Read:
Vertigo

Vertigo

In turn-of-the-century London, an exemplary Victorian wife begins a noble-minded project: writing letters to a lonely local prisoner. What happens next in this brilliantly crafted novel of literary suspense will change Emma Smith’s life forever—and ignite a dark, erotic drama of suspicion, loss, and awakening.

In the year 1898, Emma makes a New Year’s resolution: to become
Published September 26th 2006 by Delta (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Vertigo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vertigo

Start your review of Vertigo
Christie Jackson
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I started reading this novel with reservations based upon reviews, but I am glad I completed it. This author did a masterful job of dishing up surprises, twists and turns at the end that caught me by surprise; and made me want to read more of Baratz-Logsted's work.
Nicole
Only checked this out of the library because Baratz-Logsted wrote it. Only finished it because I convinced myself that it's good to read things that suck so that things I write don't suck.
Megan
Aug 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Technically, I didn't finish this one ~ just skimmed through it. Once I got midway through, I just couldn't bear to read any more, but wanted to see how it turned out. I get that the Baratz-Logsted is trying to make this sound as if it were written at the end of the 19th century. And I can appreciate the flowery language & drawn out passages. But the story never actually picks up ~ the reader sees very little action as it is happening. Action is all very vaguely preluded to, then mused over for ...more
Mary Flamingo
Oct 06, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: a person I didn't like
This book is wretched. It drove me crazy with what a waste of print it is! I couldn't get past the first 50 pages because my brain was screaming in agony. Treat it as if it were a giant pig of burning dog poop. You don't want to touch or get near.
Olivia
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I... sort of hated this book... That's unusual for me.

It is slow paced and boring. It is also a bodice ripper, so if that's what you're into, it may be a better book for you. I'm not usually a big fan of romance novels, but even ignoring that, I found myself thinking multiple times, "I should just put this one down and pick something out more worth my time." The plot was just entirely lacking. I continued reading because I figured it would get better... It did, but not enough to redeem it.

Towar
Steph Su
Jun 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
Ugh. The back of the book made it sound interesting: an erotic tale of forbidden love in Victorian England between a proper wife and a convict. Boy, was it wrong. VERTIGO was gossipy drivel and characterless events ping-ponging one after the other with no sense of foreseeable point and end.

At the turn of the twentieth century, Mrs. Emma Smith makes a resolution to be a better person. Her novelist husband, John, whom she has known since they were little, decides that the way she is to go about th
Tara Chevrestt
Be careful whom you trust would sum up the moral of this story. This is a book that will truly make you think. The heroine, Emma, is a wife and mother in the Victorian times, and literally lives for her husband and her son, never herself. The reader will understand and feel compassionate towards her as she faces life in what seems like a fancy birdcage. In seventeen years of marriage, the woman has never had an orgasm. I daresay, that alone would give us modern women a reason to kill our husband ...more
Christina
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This was really different from the other, more traditional chick lit, books I've read from Lauren Baratz-Logsted. I enjoyed it, but did find the end somewhat dissatisfying. I was really intrigued into what was going to happen, and sort of figured out what was happening to the main character at about the halfway point. Not totally predictable, though, because I didn't totally get it right.

In short, it was good although not great.
Jami
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I think I'm rating everything at 4 stars...hmmm...not sure if that's good or bad.

I love reading stories where women, traditionally taught to be weak, learn to become strong and learn what it is to be a women. This book was that and more.
Robyn Melhuish
Feb 18, 2008 rated it liked it
This book had me thinking about it even when I wasn't reading! I kept trying to guess where the plot was going, but none of my suspiscions were correct. I loved the unpredictable story, but after coming up with so many possible conclusions, I was a bit disappointed with the actual ending.
Michelle
May 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Very, very fast read about a privileged Victorian woman who begins corresponding with a prisoner to "be a better person." Gripping and salacious and lots of twists and turns. Plus, the author is a really cool chick!
Elizabeth Esse
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this book!
Jean
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is a pretty good chick/beach book with lots of plot in the second half. Some of the characters did not exactly work, but it is a page turner.
Brandi
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I became totally engrossed in this story. I highly recommend it - but only if you don't mind some slightly explicit sexual content...
Sara Goldenberg
Mar 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
She's a talented author and I enjoyed her first books. Since then, she's written in genres that don't interest me.
Kimberly
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
If this book had been more focused on the mystery and suspense and less focused on the bodice ripper scenes it could have been interesting book. Kind of a good plot twist at the end.
Nienke
Jun 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-pleasure
This is an awesome book, aptly titled because it is so full of surprises it leaves the reader with vertigo! The main character is loveable and I couldn't put the story down.
Kelly
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just started it this morning... but so far so good!
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
this was a strange story... the ending was interesting - i felt like the main character turned rather conniving and crazy. not my favorite book by this author.
Naomi
Jan 20, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is a little more sordid than I usually read, but I must admit that I did like it.
Matildakay

• The Singapore Grip
  • The Body in Question
  • The Brothers: The Road to an American Tragedy
  • The Swallows
  • Fallen Glory: The Lives and Deaths of Twenty Lost Buildings from the Tower of Babel to the Twin Towers
  • Trouble
  • The Mineral Palace
  • The Slap
  • Actress
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel's Targeted Assassinations
  • Black Widow: A Sad-Funny Journey Through Grief for People Who Normally Avoid Books with Words Like "Journey" in the Title
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • Flashback
  • The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
  • Back Roads
  • 82년생 김지영
  • Sacred Time
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a