Start by marking “Fireworks Over Toccoa” as Want to Read:
Fireworks Over Toccoa

Fireworks Over Toccoa

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  1,889 Ratings  ·  375 Reviews
Every so often that story comes along that reminds us of what it's like to experience love for the first time—against the odds, when you least expect it, and with such passion that it completely changes you forever.

An unexpected discovery takes eighty-four-year-old Lily Davis Woodward to 1945, and the five days that forever changed her life. Married for only a week before
Published March 30th 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Fireworks Over Toccoa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireworks Over Toccoa

Angelc
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-own-read
I received an ARC copy of this book for review from the publisher.

"Fireworks over Toccoa" is a well-paced love story destined to be on the big screen. The author definitely makes use of his script-writing and producing credits because this book clips right along at the fast pace found in movies and television.

In her 80's, Lily isn't sure her granddaughter Colleen is as happy in her relationship as she wants everyone to think. When the two ladies find a long lost formula for a firework called Lil
Myrna
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A light, romantic read set in Toccoa, Georgia around WWII. Kept me interested to see what path Lily would choose. Reminded me of Nicolas Sparks' books/writing.

Jason Bradley
Being from Georgia, I felt at home in the places described, understood the sultry heat, unhurried lifestyle, and unspoken Southern rules described by the author.

Jeffrey Stepakoff weaves a story both jubilant and heart wrenching that left me quietly holding the book once the last page was turned, feeling somehow that it deserved contemplation while I brushed the threat of a tear away. I didn't just become invested in these characters, they became family, and leaving them at the end of the book t
Christy B
I was teetering between three and four stars to rate this, until it made me CRY. Crying = automatic five stars. It is rare for a book to make me cry. I probably can count how many times I've cried over a book on one hand.

People are comparing this to Nicholas Sparks, but as I have never read him, I won't.

I read this in about a day; it was a fast read, but by no means a light one. This book proves the term 'quality over quantity'.

It tells the story of Lily Davis, married just three weeks when her
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Lily Davis was only 17 when she married a boy she had known for a short time. He was shipping out to WWII soon as a supply man for Coca-Cola and it seemed like the thing to do before he went away. Three years later, her hometown of Toccoa, Georgia has scheduled a big homecoming party for all the returning soldiers, including parades and fireworks. Lily stumbles into Jake Russo, the fireworks man, as he's setting up his show and he opens up a world of possibilities for her.

This just isn't my kind
Kipi
Mar 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2010, arc
Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)
I had this book on my wishlist, ever since I saw it on someone's blog, so I was pretty excited to receive this one for review! The excitement wasn't misplaced either. This book delivered!

My opinion
Fireworks over Toccoa spans four days in the lives of Lily Woodward and Jake Russo. Lily had been married three years to a man she lived only a couple of weeks with, before her husband, Paul, was sent to Europe to serve in the war. Anticipating Paul's return, Lily is nervous realizing that she is no lo
Deb
Jan 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, especially since it was the first one I've won from the goodreads giveaways!

I started reading it when waiting on my computer (for reboots, downloads, etc.), thinking that once I got into it, I'd take it to my comfy chair for "serious reading" time.

I finished it at my computer.

One caveat--I generally do not read romance. I don't have a basis of comparison on whether this is a typical book for the genre or not. I found the characters to be flat. Lily, the circa 1945 bel
April
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, romance
I don't often read contemporary adult romance. Not necessarily because I don't enjoy it, but because I tend to enjoy young adult romance more. I see a book with Nicholas Sparks' named emblazoned on the top though, and feel sort of turned off, he's just not the right author for me. I cannot get into his books, but a few of my friends can. I approached Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffery Stepakoff with trepidation. The plot piqued my interest, but one of the cover blurbs mentioned Nicholas Sparks, wh ...more
Teechbiz
I think this is a good book about forbidden love set in WWII
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 01:14PM
  • The Language of Secrets
  • Secret Keepers
  • She's Gone Country
  • It Happened One Night
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • Moonlight in Odessa
  • Outside the Ordinary World
  • A Lost Wife's Tale
  • Sweet Jiminy
  • Searching for Tina Turner
Jeffrey Stepakoff was raised in Atlanta, Georgia. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he received a BA in Journalism. In 1988, the day after getting his MFA in Playwriting from Carnegie Mellon, he drove to Hollywood where he began writing for film and television.

Jeffrey has “written by” or “story by” credits on thirty-six television episodes, has written for fourteen
More about Jeffrey Stepakoff...
“I'm just a girl Jake"
"I think you're that, and much, much more."
Another long moment. Lily found herself returning his smile, finding her own sense of knowing. And suddenly she felt at ease, a sense of mysterious calm.”
2 likes