Start by marking “Daniel: An Expositional Commentary” as Want to Read:
Daniel: An Expositional Commentary

Daniel: An Expositional Commentary

Commentaries by James Montgomery Boice explain the meaning of the biblical text verse by verse and section by section, while also relating the text to the realities of the Christian life. This new commentary will inform pastors, Bible students, and interested laypersons of Daniel's illuminating insights into history and its message of how to live for God in ungodly times.
Published September 1st 2006 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Daniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daniel

Mike Page
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good book. I used it as an additional study when we were going through Daniel with church. It's short and readable which is unique for a book on an OT prophet. Boice is good at simplifying and drawing out key specific points. He often ties in NT passages which is key for the format of applicability he is using with each section. Some of his cultural trends are a bit dated, but that is to be expected from a book over 20 years old. That said, it's not hard to draw a line from them and r ...more
SJ Barakony
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-faith
Highly insightful!
Having not read the Book of Daniel in the O/T before reading Mr. Boice's analysis, am surely more prepared to learn more nuggets of pure truth from God's inerrant word when I do read through all 39 books of the O/T end to end, inc. Daniel, in the near future.

What prompted me to pull this book off the liber education shelf? Two things - first, one of my pastors preached from Daniel in the past month, and it was very powerful to hear how God intervened to save Daniel's friends!
Stacia
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to study Daniel
Shelves: commentaries
James Mongomery Boice does it again! He is excellent at taking books of the Bible and writing exegetical commentaries (which are based off of the sermons he preached to his church) and making them understandable to the lay person. Daniel is a difficult book to understand because of all of the prophecy but Boice does a good job of explaining them with the different popular views without getting too heady. He does tend to get off the text every so often, but I don't mild over looking that as it us ...more
Lee Anne
May 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians interested in God's time clock
Shelves: christian, theology
Don't miss this one! Clear, short, chapter-by-chapter expositional unfolding of the prophecy of Daniel. Boice says that Daniel 9:24-27 contains the "backbone" prophecy for almost all other prophecy in Scripture. Jesus verified the book of Daniel in Matthew 24:30 & 26:64.
Ciara
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
It was a solid commentary. I haven't read a lot of commentaries, so I can't really compare it to anything though. I always recommend testing historical statements against other sources, but I found nothing here to criticize.
Wade
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary
Excellent Biblical exegesis by Boice. Walking through each chapter of Daniel as well as explaining the historical significance, setting and even defense of the dating of the writing of Daniel.
Allen Baldwin
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A message for our times. How do we live under brazen hedonism/humanism and moral relevancy. A must read for all who care about truth and virtue.
Brian
Mar 20, 2018
robert  c lane
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Boice received a diploma from The Stony Brook School (1956), an A.B. from Harvard University (1960), a B.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary (1963), a Th.D from the University of Basel in Switzerland (1966), and a D.D., (honorary) from the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Episcopal Church (1982).