Start by marking “Double Lives, Second Chances: The Cinema of Krzysztof Kieslowski” as Want to Read:
Double Lives, Second Chances: The Cinema of Krzysztof Kieslowski

Double Lives, Second Chances: The Cinema of Krzysztof Kieslowski

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Krzysztof Kieslowski, who died in 1996, perfected his art in movies lled with mesmerizing images of beauty and danger. His best-known lms, Blue; White; Red; The Double Life of Veronique; and The Decalogue, remain watershed events in lmmaking history. Author Annette Insdorf, Kieslowskis close friend and translator, offers a revealing portrait of his life and monumental body ...more
Published May 15th 2002 by Miramax Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Double Lives, Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Lives, Second Chances

abby
Apr 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foreign film lovers
people always go for the obvious foreign film directors: bergman, kurosawa, almodóvar, etc. kieslowski is often overlooked but his allegorical films are simply brilliant and beautiful to watch.
Samuel Peliska
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Annette Insdorf offers a few creative insights into Kieslowski's work, but not much that I wasn't able to divine myself upon careful viewing of the films in question. She spends too many words summarizing the plots of the films, such that it becomes tiresome for those who have already seen them. And if you haven't seen them, you ought to be encountering them on their own terms before you read Insdorf's synopses. Her interpretive analyses are sometimes quite keen, but just as often wrongheaded (i ...more
Saman Kashi
Aug 21, 2007 added it
Shelves: screenplay

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
John Mcmillan
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful introduction to and insightful analysis of the films of Krzysztof Kieslowski. If you like good movies, movies that have something to do with life as we really experience it every day, Kieslowski should be on your list of directors to seek out, and this book would be a great way to begin. Ms. Insdorf, who worked with and for Kieslowski, both loves and deeply understands his films, some of which (The Decalogue, Three Colors) I would rate as the very best that anyone has ev ...more
Alex Radtke
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This will probably end up being a place holder until I get around to reading other analyses of Kieslowski's work, but overall I was somewhat disappointed with this book. It does present a good overview, and I can say that the opening chapters about his early work was truly enjoyable. However, when Insdorf gets to analyzing his films (and I'm mostly thinking of her discussion of Dekalog and Three Colors), the author leaves a lot to be desired. This may stem from 1) choosing to spent a significant ...more
John
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Annette Insdorf's reflections on Kieslowski's films, even as I perceived a surprising lack of attentiveness to some of the more explicitly religious themes in his films. That said, Insdorf's careful eye certainly enhances my own appreciation for Kieslowski's work. This is best read in conjunction with watching the films themselves, as Insdorf tends to engage with pertinent details from the films.
David
Jan 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: film
I was really disappointed with this book. It's the first book I read on Kieslowski after seeing a good number of his films. It wasn't really helpful. A lot of filler and very little good, strong analysis.
Jason Bovberg
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recently watched The Dekalog, The Double Life of Veronique, and the Three Colors Trilogy back-to-back-to-back, and this book was an invaluable guide through themes and meaning. I also found Insdorf's commentaries over the Three Colors films to be extremely valuable.
Becky
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-finish
Some interesting personal anecdotes of Kieslowski, but the writer didn't have any particularly interesting insights about why his work was so interesting.
Marcie
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some of the analysis could have been stronger. However, the book gave a good overview and works perfectly as a solid starting point for further reading and study.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Well put together, but not all that useful. Kieslowski was only 54 when he died. I thought he was much older. ( Don't smoke ! )
Вавёрка
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not as useful as I though it would be. Interpretations could be deeper.
Magda
  • From Caligari to Hitler
  • The Stanley Kubrick Archives
  • Cassavetes on Cassavetes
  • Essential Cinema: On the Necessity of Film Canons
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • The Films in My Life
  • What is Cinema?: Volume 2
  • The Godfather Legacy: The Untold Story of the Making of the Classic Godfather Trilogy Featuring Never-Before-Published Production Stills
  • Collected Screenplays