Start by marking “The Francis A. Schaeffer Trilogy: The 3 Essential Books in 1 Volume/the God Who Is There/Escape from Reason/He Is There and He Is Not Silent” as Want to Read:

Few Christians have had a greater impact during the last half of the twentieth century than Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer. A man with a remarkable breadth of cultural interest, with penetrating insight into modern life, and with a clear sense of spiritual reality, Schaeffer was also a man who cared deeply about people and their search for truth and reality in their lives.

With t
Published April 10th 1990 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Francis A. Schaeffer Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Francis A. Schaeffer Trilogy

Ambrose Chi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These three books are truly thought-shaping, and Francis does not use crafty words or commit logical fallacies to explain his points. This trilogy is a dangerous book for the modern man because it will make him come to the end of himself, intellectually, morally and existentially. However, after showing how man is unable to stand on his own, this is a book that brings him to acknowledge the need of a personal beginning, the God who is there and who is not silent.

I respect Francis greatly for hi
Natalie Weber
Escape From Reason
Years ago I read the first of the trilogy of essential books by Christian philosopher, Francis Schaeffer. I’ve had it in mind to continue with this book ever since, but just finally got around to it this year. Now I can’t believe I waited so long! One of the things that I love the most about Schaeffer’s writing is that it walks you through the fundamental philosophies that undergird our society and contrasts them with those of Christianity. The result, then, is that the reader
Joel McDaniel
Mar 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: christian thinkers
Shelves: fundamental, owned
A must read for anyone wishing to enter the realm of christian philosophy. Francis Schaeffer was one of the most influential christian authors of the late twentieth century.

This work is a good starting point for those wondering what a "christian worldview" looks like.
Steve Allison
Read the God Who Is There and Escape from Reason during the fall of 1972. He is There and He is Not Silent by the next summer. I learned a lot from these books and enjoyed reading them. One thing I took away was that he gave a reasonable basis of why baby boomers were different from the previous generations. We had grown up with TV and under different conditions hence the changes in our perceptions and ways of thinking. My later reading of Marshall McLuhan would further clarify and explain this. ...more
Aria Maher
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
A deep, thoughtful exploration of modern thought and belief, contrasted with Christian faith and truth. I found this book to be both extremely interesting and extremely enlightening, as it delves into difficult ideas like the meaning of life and the purpose of man. This book was written almost twenty years ago, so some of the things he talks about, which would have been very current in the culture back then, are a bit obscure to me. However, I enjoyed it anyway, and it was certainly very thought ...more
Chris Leroux
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a lot harder to read than I was expecting. Schaefer goes into extensive analysis, but the structure and pacing is very unpredictable and a lot of his writing is at times a struggle to adjust to. Some points also feel rather dated for being such a recent philosophical book. For those interested, read a summary and save yourself the time and effort.
David Washington
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Christians interested in philosophy and cultural development.
I have long been a fan of Francis Schaeffer. I was introduced to him around the late 90s/early 2000s. The first book I ever read by him was How Shall We Then Live? which basically made my mind swim. Some time later I tackled The God Who Is There, another book that made my noggin do somersaults. I've returned with a new mindset and a perspective as I have grown in my walk with Christ since I read those works, hence my foray into another one of his seminal works, Escape From Reason.

Reading Schaef
Samuel Tran
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly helpful and insightful inquiry into the development of modern thought, both secular and religious. His "book with missing pages" illustration is a fantastic analogy for how reason and revelation go hand in hand.
slaveofone
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This volume contains THE three books EVERY person should read. These books literally changed my life! Schaeffer, more philosopher-historian than Biblical exegete, looks at art, theology, music, literature, and philosophy in different ages and traces the movement of their thought-patterns and ideologies through time to show how they influenced each other and lead to today and what we think and how we think now. After reading these books, you will understand not only what the world-view and messag ...more
James
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the series that turned me on to developing a Christian worldview. In his trilogy, Schaeffer shows how all people show that they need absolutes (e.g. Love, Justice, Morals, Meaning, Purpose, Value, etc.), but they find despair when they turn away from the infinite-personal God of the Bible to find them (Romans 1:20-24). They either hold a rational worldview without absolutes (which they can't live with), or they hold an irrational worldview that cannot actually support absolutes (which a ...more
Jamie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The most clarifying christian philosophy i've ever read. I was struggling with my faith and nothing was even coming close to pulling me back from slipping deeper into an abyss of pointless exsistence, which led quickly to self-destruction. I highly recommend this and other works by the man that's been referred to as, "the greatest christian philosopher of the 20th century". He guides with absolute truth and reveals how many commonly used popular christian thoughts are completely unfounded and e ...more
Eric
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one was so good that I am re-reading it again immediately. Some comments he has to make about our being on the trailing edge of the science-based age of reason bear careful consideration, although I am quite sure I would need another look at the current landscape of the field of philosophy to accept his claims in their entirety. It was an excellent companion to the reading of NT Wright's "Simply Good News" and follow on to Mary Poplin's "Is Reality Secular?"
Andrew
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The format is a challenge. As three separate books, reading them in succession in short order is tiring. They overlap topics frequently and could stand for some editing as a result. In terms of content, Dr. Schaefer is spot on in his rhetoric. I especially enjoyed his appendix on apologetics after The God Who Is There. He Is There And He Is Not Silent was also excellent on explaining the place of epistemology and linguistic analysis in modern society and how we overcome it as a Christian.
Matt Sylvester
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Great insights on areas of philosophy such as epistemology, metaphysics and ethics. Profound Christian thinker and evangelist who understood the nature of thought and the implications of various world views. Only downside, reading the books as a trilogy made for frequent overlap in thought and at times annoyingly repetitive.
Fernando J.
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me build a solid worldview in the midst of a very intellectually challenging environment. Francis Schaeffer has been called a modern-day prophet. His insights into man's philosophies and how they are addressed in scripture is a very rare gift from the LORD. I would highly recommend this volume to anyone interested in philosophy (metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, etc).
Larry Loftis
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best thinking from one of the greatest minds of our time. If you are a C.S. Lewis fan, Schaeffer is even better. Like Lewis's, Schaeffer's works can be read again and again, each time as meaningful and poignant as the last.

If you ask, "What's it all about, Alfie?", this is your book/collection.
William Dicks
The three books in this trilogy are the foundation to Francis Schaeffer's thinking. If all you read of Francis Schaeffer, then it should be this trilogy.

I have now read this trilogy twice, and it is just as captivating as it was the first time! A must read!
Nicole
Sep 13, 2007 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: you
this is a collection of three of schaeffer's books and i'm reading the second one right now. schaeffer was really ahead of his time and his books are so relevant even decades later. his grasp of modern man is very insightful.
Jelle de Jong
heeft mij enorm geholpen, de overtuigingskracht en de noodzaak van het aantonen dat andere wereldvisies fundamenteel inconsistent zijn staat voor Schaeffer niet ter discussie, voor mij wel
Jay Risner
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really great.
Chuck Bonadies
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A must read for those interested in a Christian worldview.
Fairlight
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was excellent! I lot of things to think about. Was the perfect book to read along with studying art and literature.
Rob Taylor
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How can you not love Francis Schaeffer?
Billy
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not your typical basic reading level. A strong Reformed Protestant thinker.
Frankie Della Torre
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three incredible books that have given me a lot of insight into a very murky, difficult topic.
Joshua
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's good, and I'd say a necessary read for Christian academics. However, much of the ground is treaded over time and again, making for a difficult-to-be-engaging read.
John Lowery
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I keep returning to this master work.
Chuck
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the thought and writings of Francis Scheaffer.
Alison
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This changed my life forever.
Charles Bell
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Have read the books as singles but had to have the Trilogy in one volume.
  • Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • The Institutes of Christian Religion
  • The Collected Works of C.S. Lewis
  • The Gagging of God: Christianity Confronts Pluralism
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
  • Can Man Live Without God
  • The Uneasy Conscience of Modern Fundamentalism
  • Christian Apologetics
  • Mind Siege: The Battle for the Truth
  • Living at the Crossroads: An Introduction to Christian Worldview
Francis August Schaeffer was an American Evangelical Christian theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor. He is most famous for his writings and his establishment of the L'Abri community in Switzerland. Opposed to theological modernism, Schaeffer promoted a more historic Protestant faith and a presuppositional approach to Christian apologetics which he believed would answer the questions of ...more
“Every once in a while in my discussions someone asks how I can believe in the Trinity. My answer is always the same. I would still be an agnostic if there was no Trinity, because there would be no answers. Without the high order of personal unity and diversity as given in the Trinity, there are no answers.” 8 likes