Start by marking “The Fighter King” as Want to Read:
The Fighter King

The Fighter King (The Fighter Queen Saga #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
While on Vega to sell defensive fighters, Oliver Lincoln is trapped in the middle of an interstellar war. The Fighter Queen saga starts here.

A military science fiction action adventure.

Rated "R" 139,000 words. Roughly equivalent to 521 pages in a mass market paperback.

This book is the first of the Fighter Queen saga. The books in the series may be read in any order (each i
ebook, First printing, 424 pages
Published by AKW Books (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Fighter King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fighter King

Al Philipson
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys military science fiction
Al Philipsons Review:

I’ve been reading the Fighter Queen saga as the books came out, so I was expecting something exceptional when I started this prequel.

Wow! I got it and more. This is a great story, told by the master of military science fiction.

The main character, Oliver, starts out as a soft, rich kid who’s anti-war in spite of his father’s business of selling fighter space craft to anyone who’ll buy them — including the aggressive Sirians, a bunch of KKK types who’ve colonized a planet that
Richard Winder
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An upper echelon military SF story.

What would happen if the lunatic fringe (neo-nazis and white supremacists) ever got hold of a starship and went away, far enough to build an empire? Humanity's worst nightmare would ensue, along with the rise of the 'Fighter King.' The Fighter King is a rock-solid launch to the series of stories by John Bowers featuring the arc of an interstellar war. It has everything that you would want in a military SF novel. Explosions. Strategy. Panic. Tactics. Arms dealer
Al "Tank"
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Military Science Fiction fans
Bowers actually started the series with A Vow to Sophia, then wrote The Fighter Queen. This is actually his 3rd book in the series, but I'd recommend reading it first if you're just starting into it.

What can I say? I enjoy everything Bowers has written, but this is his best work yet. He's struck a great balance between action and a story about "growing up" (okay, maybe "maturing" would be a better word).

Oliver starts out as a naive know-it-all with a rich daddy and has to shuck his naivete rapid
Don Harrington
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, a reluctant warrior

At first the premise seemed shaky, but the book grabbed me almost immediately. I thought about it when I wasn't reading it which is always a good sign. A unique take on human society. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Don Willett
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Couldn't put it down. Started a little slow but kept a good pace with good action and great detail. Good characters and the story line blended very well.
Laz the Sailor
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This story became very preachy very fast. Lots of interesting concepts, but too many people doing bad things and/or getting killed. Although written a few years ago, it could be read as a warning for current (2017) politics. Built as a long saga (5 books at ~450pp), there is a lot of world-building.

The writing is solid, but I'm probably not going to read the rest of these.
Krazykiwi
Mar 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nej-tack
Hmmm.

The good: This is pretty well written, for an indie book, the style is easy to read and moves along briskly. The fight scenes are well done, in fact, considering this is sci-fi set on another planet, there's an unexpectedly good depiction of trench warfare. Many of the characters are quite likeable and the author has a way of painting characters quickly with few words. I really really wanted to like this book.

However....

I just can't really recommend this, for so many reasons. Which sounds
Jeffery Clark
I debated between 2 and 3 stars because its an ok story, nothing ground breaking, and in some instances the over all theme has been done much better, S.M. Sterlings Draka series instantly comes to mind. But it is a decent enough scifi tale. I settled on 3 because I bought the second book in the series.

I will say it is probably not for everyone, there are depictions of rape, as well as consensual sex in some curious contexts, and while this sometimes serves to underscore the horror of war, parti
Orville St.Clair
Just read Book One of "The Fighter Queen" series by John Bowers, Great Book, but then all of his are!

This is the third series of his books I have started, to go along with the "Nick Walker" and "Starport" books. All of Mr. Bower's characters are believable; the action is full bore! I've run out of accolades concerning Mr. Bower's work!
Buy one of his books, any one, and enjoy!
Barbara Dunbar
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fighter King

Despite the incredible detail of the weaponry and fighting strategies I enjoyed the characterization and sympathetic heroes. A bit heavy handed on the side of testosterone but an excellent read.
Hard SF: Limited time offer 9 51 Aug 22, 2013 05:09PM
Book Giveaways: First book in Fighter Queen saga is free for all formats 1 15 Mar 02, 2013 10:42AM

The Fighter Queen Saga (5 books)
  • The Sword of Sophia (The Fighter Queen Saga #2)
  • A Vow to Sophia (The Fighter Queen Saga, #3)
  • Star Marine! (The Fighter Queen Saga, #4)
  • The Fighter Queen (The Fighter Queen Saga, #5)