Start by marking “Triss (Redwall, #15)” as Want to Read:
Triss (Redwall, #15)

Triss

(Redwall #15)

Enslaved by the evil ferret King Agarno and his daughter, Princess Kurda?slavers who have shackled hundreds?the brave squirrelmaid Triss, along with Shogg the otter and Welfo the hedgehog, plans a daring escape by sea. In her flights, Triss happens upon Redwall, and the abbey creatures discover a new hero in her. Someone brave enough to carry the sword of Martin and face ...more
Published September 9th 2004 by Firebird (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Triss, please sign up.
Daniel Smith Because her father gave her that name when she was born

Start your review of Triss (Redwall, #15)
Wing Kee
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A warm comforting blanket of familiarity.

World: The world building has always been fantastic, Jacques is a master of painting word pictures that are vibrant and beautiful and lush. The piece of the world we see this time with the slaves and the north is pretty slightly a little bit different from the rest of the Redwall world so it’s a nice little welcome. Reading Redwall books is like coming home, you know that mum is making roast chicken for dinner and dad is in the garage fixing his car, it’
Joseph Leskey
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oh, you know, humans
I really enjoyed this Redwall book. It had a somewhat more developed plot than the usual and was stuffed with enjoyment.
XPHAIEA.
I read these as a child and am re-reading the series out of order (as usual it seems!). What I had forgotten was how formulaic they are. This was very similar to the others I have read - different gangs of animals, good vs. evil themes, lots of endless descriptions of food and eating, animals travelling from one place to another, a battle, fighting. It did get a bit tedious, and Scarum was intensely irritating. I honestly would have pushed him overboard and/or poisoned his food, but this book is ...more
Ryan Freeman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good ol’ RedWall. Always fun to return for another swashbuckled visit. This one’s no exception!
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this yarn of Redwall, the titular squirrelmaid Triss works as a slave for the Pure Ferrets, among them Princess Kurda, considered to be skilled with the blade. Meanwhile, two younglings disappear from Redwall Abbey, while a ship called the Stopdog, its main crew consistent of Sagax the badger, Scarum the hare, and Kroova the sea otter, sails, with occasional encounters with the vermin typically antagonistic in the Redwall universe. Triss also plots escape with her fellow slaves, and the ...more
Lex
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Another amazing book from Redwall! Unfortunately, they will never be any new ones. Quite recently, Brian Jacques passed away and part of my childhood died with them. The Redwall books literally got me through my horrible middle school years. Jacques was the first person I ever wrote fan mail to (he didn't reply but I got a lovely packet from the Redwall people with a cool bookmark). I started with either Redwall or the sequel of Mattimeo and continued reading endlessly from there. I thought I ...more
Ben Stoddard
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely not Mr. Jacques' best work, but an entertaining read overall. I didn't feel the emotional connect with most of the characters, as there was such a large cast list that I didn't feel like anyone got enough page time to really build that connection. Triss' connection to Martin seemed a lot like everything else in the book, like it was crammed into the story too quickly. Ultimately I felt as though this book should've had another 200 pages or so to adequately cover all the characters and ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
(mild spoilers)

My favorite part of the book was anything with the Freebooters, probably the most likeable group of villains in Redwall. Not only are they the only vermin group to actually mourn their captain’s loss, and seem genuinely devastated by his death, but they also write a poem about him. Captain Plugg is also great, in that he is very self-conscious about the loss of his tail and sticks it on with resin, but then in the heat of the moment, when he gets overexcited, he pulls it off and
Vincent Ribaya
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Treetops and timber! Another fun and epic tale of Redwall.

Long after the events in Redwall, Triss tells the tale of the heroine Trisscar, and escaped squirrelmaid slave who will soon become the only Redwall Abbey heroine called up to wield the sword of the legendary co-founder of Redwall and the protector of Mossflower Woods, Martin the Warrior.

Triss makes a wonderful collection to the Redwall Book Series and it introduces a brand new set of lovable heroes, villains, and abbey-folk. Despite it
Lauren
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ah, another tale from Redwall. I'm a huge fan, have been for a while, but it seems that almost all of them are the same - with quests, feasts, an Abbey riddle, an evil and cunning enemy (or two), but each book has it's own special flair. Triss is no exception, it is truly a good book, although if you've read the other 14 Redwall books, it feels as if you're almost reading the same thing again. Which isn't nessecarily a bad thing.

Triss is three stories that all come together, quite expertly, in
Sha
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: uno-2020
1. Mhm. You know, I've badly wanted to read Triss for years. Now that I've finally done it I'm wondering why I was so keen on picking up this one book in particular. I think I blame it on Triss being marketed (is that the right word?) as Redwall's first female Warrior, and I read the rest of these books during a period of my life where first female anything was something to be gleefully glomped on.

2. For those not in the know, Redwall is a series about cutesy animals with swords and slings
Liam
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an old favorite that came to mind while reading the Odyssey. Brian Jacques is far from perfect— heavy stereotyping, which simplifies some characters a bit, along with some winks and nods along with most of the jokes— but he's a brilliant storyteller with a vivid way of putting forth his imagination.
Hannah
Interesting premises, although it wasn't as memorable as the rest of Jacques' other literary triumphs. Triss did not particularly stand out as an heroine, and I found myself just slightly bored towards the end.
Josiah
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Be thankful for the season,
And happy for the day,
Be grateful for the bounty,
Which comes to us this way.
Good food from the earth is grown,
And brought unto our table,
By honest toil and labour,
Let's eat, whilst we are able!"

―Abbot Apodemus, Triss, P. 17

Fifteen books into the Redwall series, the great Brian Jacques has not in any wise lost his spectacular feel for the flow of the English language. Utilizing every inch of the canvas that is the English lexicon, he paints gorgeous, sweeping
Hilary
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a kid, I read almost every novel in the Redwall series - they were one of my favorite escapes. So when I stumbled on this one, which I hadn’t read, at a second-hand store I was excited.

The world Jacques creates sucks you in. The characteristics of the animals, the clever poetry/songs, the real world struggles of good v evil, life and death, plus the descriptions of food. It’s all so great.

I gave this only 3 stars not because I didn’t enjoy it - if you like his books definitely give this a
Adrienne
Unfortunately on the weaker end of the Redwall series. The pacing was off, the villains weren't scary, the characters felt like bad Xeroxes of prior Redwall personalities and lacked their usual charm, and I think it was a huge narrative mistake to recount the final battle as a secondhand memoir from a completely unknown voice rather than as, well, an actual battle. But, y'know...it's still Redwall. <3
Louve
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I am quite ambiguous about Brian Jacques triss, its a little difficult to make out what the characters are saying with there Scottish accents and my attention drifted off a bit at times,but I love the charm this series has, even though it at times can be hard to understand,which lands it at three stars.
Caitilin Jones
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dear-12-year old me,
You will read your tattered edition of Triss when you are 23 and it will still give you the same pleasure. 23-year-old you will be able to escape into the same fictional sanctuary that you do,but because she is hiding from more adulty problems.

P.S. Your boobs don't get much bigger-sorry.
Jacob Yellowhorse
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brian Jacques tells the story of some charaters that come a long way in life and trial and others that don't make it as far but are still lovable. Each one their own story that ties into deciding what will happen to the slaves, the bandits, the Long Patrol and those, of course, at Redwall Abby.
Matthew McAndrew
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another one of Redwall's 'fun' installments. Not nearly as dark as the other books, but just as adventurous and epic. The characters weren't my favorite out of the series, but still lovable and charismatic.
Marlene
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Triss and her two friends are finally able to escape the cruel tortures of slavery at Riftguard. They vow to one day return and free the slaves left behind. How can three young slaves, sailing a stolen ship, possibly escape the cruel Princess Kurda and her slave tracker. With the help of Martin the Warrior and the many good beasts from Redwall, of course!
SophiaB
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was fun and action packed.
Ch J Loveall
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rod Innis
Another good book by one of my favorite authors.
An Odd1
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
"Summer is here, joy and happiness to all!" p 108.
"Enjoy yoreself while ye can." p 290
Nobi Nobes
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing! It was my favourite in the whole series. It had a lot of adventure in it. I couldn't stop reading it!
Ruth
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
delightful books, always a new twist--also you have to love all the names the author comes up with for his various characters and of course the food!
Wyktor Paul
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Never heard of this guy before, but now I'll have to check out some of his other books.
Aimee Thorne-Thomsen
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read many of the Redwall series, and this is one of my favorites. There are multiple storylines that converge on a dramatic and exciting ending!
Alyssa Tabor
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this is the first Redwall I listened to and I find it very enjoyable, it is not among my favorites of the Redwall series. So far, the top two spots belong to Mossflower and Loamhedge.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
  • Redwall The Graphic Novel
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • The Tale of Three Trees
  • The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #17)
  • Search for Senna (Everworld, #1)
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • The Unfinished Palazzo: Life, Love and Art in Venice
  • Creepy Crawling: Charles Manson and the Many Lives of America's Most Infamous Family
  • Cape (The League of Secret Heroes #1)
  • WarCraft Archive (WarCraft, #1-3 & Of Blood and Honor)
  • War of the Ancients Archive (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1-3)
  • Will Destroy the Galaxy for Cash (Jacques McKeown, #2)
  • The Tomorrow Code
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
“Tis a far cry from home for a poor lonely thing,
O'er the deeps and wild waters of seas,
Where you can't hear your dear mother's voice softly sing
Like a breeze gently stirring the trees.

Come home, little one, wander back here someday,
I'll watch for you, each evening and morn,
Through all the long season 'til I'm old and grey
As the frost on the hedges at dawn.

There's a lantern that shines in my window at night,
I have long kept it burning for you,
It glows through the dark, like a clear guiding light,
And I know someday you'll see it, too.

So hasten back, little one, or I will soon be gone,
No more to see your dear face,
But I know that I'll feel your tears fall one by one,
On the flowers o'er my resting place.”
15 likes