Start by marking “Keith Richards: The Biography” as Want to Read:
Keith Richards: The Biography

Keith Richards: The Biography

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  570 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
In 1992, Victor Bockris's celebrated biography was the first to recognize Richards's pivotal role in the Stones' legend. Now that book on rock's most incredible survivor has been expanded to accommodate ten more years of his storied life.
Published June 19th 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Keith Richards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keith Richards

Lisa
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, as a person who is a huge Keith fan, I really liked this. Some new info that I hadn't heard. Of course, I take it all with a grain of salt, because it was not an authorized bio, but he did talk to people who were part of Keith's life (Anita, although does she remember anything, who knows?).

Anyway, the overall picture of Keith is the one that I like to imagine him as -- just a really charismatic person, who doesn't think of himself as a star, just wants to play music to be happy.

If you've
Saint Amy
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everything you'd want to know bout Keif Baby.
Alison
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clearly, we should all eat more shepard's pie, since apparently that's Keith's secret. Well, that and old blues guitar music.
Leigh Roberts
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As for Keith's autobiography - loved it but as I'm a big stones fan, totally biased.
Felicia Holtz
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I "borrowed" this book off the display shelves at R&B when I worked there. It has taken me this long to crack the cover. Thank God I did. What a read. During the '75 US tour Keith was lucky to get a visa to come into the country because he was in the thick of his heroin addiction. He was pulled aside by FBI agents and thought they were just going to arrest him. Instead, they had an interesting proposition. In order to prevent any unwanted, negative publicity to tour sponsors they offered to ...more
East Bay J
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-bios
It’s been a long time since I read a Stones bio so, when I saw Bockris’ Keith Richards bio at my local library, I thought I’d give it a whirl. It was a fairly rewarding read. Richards is an interesting cat and, being a pretty big fan of his guitar playing and songwriting, I found myself eagerly burning through his life story. Bockris knows his subject and writes about it well. In fact, my only complaint about this book is that there isn’t enough about Richards’ guitar playing. I mean, it’s discu ...more
Janitag
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
If you want to make rock and roll your career, you have to have a certain equilibrium between your personality and your ego and your physical makeup - the three things you have no control over. Then you have to have a certain balance to be able to deal with anything that's thrown at you. And anything you throw yourself into, you better get yourself out of.

This man, right, one of my favourite people in the whole world. So of course when I had the opportunity to pick up yet another book about him,
Ashley
I was expecting so much more from this book!!!
I know there is another book and I prob got the two mixed up..(thought this was gonna have the same stuff... I mean it's a book on 1 MAN!!!)
But this was all stuff everyone knows... They could have did so much with this story, This mans a ROCK ICON!!! From one of the most highly respected, influential, one of the best bands and they made his story BORING.... (I think he is one of the most over the top guitarists in music EVER!!! The mans been on a li
Eric
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great read and very funny in spots. Only criticism is that the updates since initial publication were sort of cheerleader-ish, repetetive and stupid. But everything else was pretty damn solid. Good bio.
Jane
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
How is this man still alive? He has more lives than an old lady's house full of cats. Thank God he is though, because he's one of the best in the business! I love Keef!!!!
Julie scott
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a terrific read I've always been a fan of The Stones and It was pretty funny in many parts of this novel kept my interest from start to finish God knows the last thing you would ever say about Keith Richards is he's boring lolllllllllll. À great read for any Rolling Stone fan.❤❤❤
Nick
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5
Janitag
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm convinced that I'll enjoy almost everything written about Keith Richards, because he's just so so lovely, ahh.

The writing style made all the messing about with drugs sound like a great big, uh, adventure. It was really interesting and the translation was good. Also, I loved the way everybody was described. The beginning and names might get a bit confusing for someone who doesn't know anything about Keith Richards or The Rolling Stones , but I guess this is mostly written for fans, so.

Once ag
Thierry Sagnier
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Stones fan. I even like their really bad stuff, like Satanic Majesty. And I'm generally wary of 'unauthorized' biographies. But Bockris' book is good. Not as great as Richard's autobiography, but if you like the Stones, you'll like this...
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Lots of interesting facts and stories told in this book. I understand that Keith Richards did/does a lot of drugs but I wasn't impressed with how Bockris spent about 200 pages discussing it; I felt there were more important things to reveal.
Herman
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had the book on the shelf for years but somehow never got around to read it. Finally did and sort of liked it. Richards is an interesting character, but I found the book not exceptional. Not very well written, or badly translated maybe. Anyway, probably should give Richards' autobiography a try...
Ian
Jul 04, 2009 added it
Recommended
Deb Berg
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Keith Richards has led a wild and rockstar life. However his book is not very captavating.
Sam Romilly
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot better than I expected. Has managed to give a real and in many ways new insight into the life of Keith up until the 1990s
Davehbo
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. Did he really write it? Did he remember these things? If so, this is a gold mine. Richards was fooling us all along. He's way smarter and more self aware than anyone thought.
Jason Evans
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Stones fans
Shelves: biography
A very well written biography about rock'n'roll's ultimate outlaw. Probably best for Stones fans only. Interesting stories beyond the drug use and the music.
Andrew Thompson
Mar 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
The human riff laid bare, after a fashion. I remember this as being a decent biography, with Bockris actually having access to His Satanic Majesty.
Josi Rebar
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rock-n-roll
Great read! Interesting to read about the "black box" method on heroin addiction.
epistemology
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
super. i love the stones. keith as a kid sounds like what he looks like now.
Piernasasongko
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what a beautiful creature..:)
Roving Gambler
Sep 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
Really just slapped together. Wish I would have reread Old Gods, Almost Dead.
Jordan Grothe
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
the man has stories. plain and simple
Kris
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it a 3 for sloppy writing and some repeated anecdotes, but a 5 for the anecdotes themselves... so, 4.
Guy Cranswick
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Better than the average rock bio. The subject is sympathetic and his use of various opiates renders the run o' the mill hangover as not worth talking about.
Craig
Jan 06, 2010 added it
It's Keith mate. It's excellent.
  • Up and Down with the Rolling Stones

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis