Start by marking “Wasted” as Want to Read:
Wasted

Wasted

When danger, passion and chance collide...Jack worships luck and decides his actions by the flip of a coin. No risk is too great if the coin demands it. Luck brings him Jess, a beautiful singer who will change his life. But Jack's luck is running out, and soon the stakes are high. As chance and choice unravel, the risks of Jack's Game become terrifyingly clear. An evening ...more
Published May 3rd 2010 by Walker

To ask other readers questions about Wasted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wasted

Vrinda Pendred
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Good book, but so tediously written. I felt like I was going to slam my head against a wall if I had to read one more time that Jack was dangerous or that they did not know the danger that awaited them, or more full on paragraphs stating possibilities followed by 'but it wasn't that way...' It was just such interfering narration that built everything up so much, I was expecting something much more dramatic in the end than actually happened.

BUT...I really liked the idea, three what if concept. Th
Caro
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Wasted is one of those books you love to hate or hate to love. I loved some aspects of the story, and at other times, I just wanted to creep behind that narrator and hit him/her/it with a frying pan. So bad that I even considered not finishing the book. But I did continue and even though I didn't exactly like the book, I am glad I did read it in the end.

The story centres on the relationship between Jess and Jack. They are both musicians and they meet by chance at school and start becoming friend
Brenda Bell
Sep 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Quite how this got published is the first mystery and the second is all the five star reviews. It's as if I read a completely different book to the 5 star reviewers. The point of the story is the way that small details can change everything, and it makes this point quite early. Then you get stuck having to slog through pages and pages where nothing happens. It was so bad that I even considered not finishing the book. But I did. What a complete waste of time!
Sapphire
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not sure if I actually enjoy it or not. The story is kind of too... static. Some aspects are interesting and I do enjoy them but the writing is a bit tedious, I think? I give it a three because I saved Jack's life (I did spin the coin and I got to save Jack's life, it's satisfying)
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally posted on Fluttering Butterflies

Wasted by Nicola Morgan is a pretty unusual book. I bought it awhile back, after hearing a lot of buzz about it when it was first published, but I still felt a little bit unsure if it would be a book I'd enjoy. And when I finally did pick up Wasted, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The story is about two characters, Jack and Jess and their relationship, but what I find very different about this book is the third person narrator who gives
Jessica
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gen-fiction, youth
Wasted can be read as a teenage romance, a coming-of-age story of both Jess and Jack, who are at the cusp of adulthood. It can also be read as an exercise in reader involvement. I don't mean to imply that it is a Choose Your Own Adventure style story; the reader is not involved in that way. The reader is involved, however, by being addressed directly by the narrator and being privy to the "what ifs" in Jack and Jess's story (what if the coin had landed on tails, rather than heads?), and at one p ...more
Ringo The Cat
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, ya
Nicola Morgan’s Wasted can best be described as a philosophical approach of your run of the mill love story. It’s the philosophical angle, of course, that makes this young adult novel stand out from the crowd. (Btw, butt-ugly cover!)
In this unconventional love story, told by an omniscient narrator (one of the key factors in this book) we meet Jack and Jess – two teenagers on the brink of adulthood about to make life-determining choices. In ‘normal’ life, when a boy meets a girl there are of cour
Carly
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
So I think everybody remembers those wonderful books from the 90’s, where you got to the end of a chapter and decided between two options how you wanted the book to continue. I remember there were some great ones in the Goosebumps series (which I adored, by the way) so I was really excited when I read the synopsis of Wasted and hoped it would be something similar.

Wasted is a more mature, sophisticated version of these books, which really explores chance and luck and how one tiny change can make
Mary
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A story about luck and the part it plays in our lives. Would you risk your life on the spin of a coin? Jack does.

Truly an amazing book that really makes you wonder about the little chances that life turns on. A story about love, fate and the danger of leaving things to chance. The writing style allows/encourages the reader to sit back and see Jess and Jack's story from a distance, to see the options open and close around them, but also, I felt, to think about other good or bad luck stories one
SJ
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Hm. Ok, this book starts off so brilliantly that I had huge hopes for it. I love the voice of the author, who manages to use a minamalist writing technique and yet create such rich imagery with just a few words.

Frankly, I got weary of it, though. The book keeps its tone steady throughout and at some point I grew tired of it. The point of the story is the way that small details can change everything, and it makes its point quite early. But then you get stuck having to slog through pages and page
Talli Roland
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When I read Wasted by Nicola Morgan, I actually felt compelled to write about it. There's something so unique about the voice that it's almost hypnotic. It's been awhile since I've read something that drew me in quite like this.

The book moves between Jack and Jess, following them as their lives intersect and twist and turn depending on the flip of Jack's coin. It's a fascinating concept, but what really made this book interesting for me is the omniscient narrator who is so present it's almost l
Komal
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book because I liked the title and it gave me endless possibilities as to what the book could be about.
I found the main character Jack really interesting because he went through a lot of traumatic events in his childhood and expressed him emotions in a very odd way. I like him the most in this novel because hes intelligent, charming and had an magnetic personality.
"You have to take control, even when it appears you have none" this quote stood out in the book for me becau
Jaydine
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Weird but brilliant! I don't normally like things written in the present tense but for some reason, this really appealed to me.

I actually have no words to describe the book itself. It was so weird yet captivating. Jack runs his life according to a flip of a coin; makes decisions on whether the result is heads or tails. It's full of 'what if's and the narrator explores these before telling you what actually happens, then at the end it's up to you. You flip a coin. You play Jack's Game. You could
Claire Dawn
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WASTED is so different from everything you've ever read, that you'll either love it or hate it. It's the story of a boy who lives his life according to the toss of a coin and the girl he meets through it.

Jack does not believe in chance. He believes in cause and effect. His coin tosses are a sacrifice to the powers that be. By putting his life at the mercy of the coin toss, he guarantees good luck. That is, until Jess comes into his life, and he realises, that he can't control it all.

WASTED is
Josephine
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sakura-medal
The author creates a lot of tension through dramatic irony, in which the reader is given glimpses into the looming futures of the protagonists, which are determined by the flip of a coin. The theme the plot revolves around is that of chance, or ‘cause-and-effect’ as the coined [no pun intended] phrase in the book is. The plot is oftentimes heavily overtaken by an long droning commentary about possibility, to the point where everything gets confusing and the book sounds like one big philosophical ...more
Mark Warner
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-teen
This contained some interesting ideas... how much of our lives can we design for ourselves and how much is down to luck / chance? Although the story and the two main characters were interesting, I got bored of the way that different possibilities kept being offered about how things might happen in their lives... I just wanted to hear about what DID happen. It was a clever idea but I didn't find it particularly convincing and it distracted me from the actual story. I wasn't impressed with the way ...more
Mrs Mac McKenzie
Not sure if I enjoyed this story - I liked the idea behind it - that it is the small things that add up to bigger things in your life and that everything has a knock on effect, however, I found the "choose a chapter to read" a bit of an overkill and disrupted the plot line. It does however illustrate how different actions and events, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant can lead to different outcomes.

The actual story of the young people was quite good, with interesting twists.
Dan
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Didn't convince - annoying narrator, nice protagonist, infuriating love interest. Interesting theme of chance with the coin tossing, but to what end? Felt like it needed a year more work on the writing, more editing and a whole lot of thought. Sadly I haven't been amazed by Morgan since Mondays are Red, and this will probably be my last book by her.
Tamsyn Murray
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely storming book from start to finish, Wasted had me gripped all the way through. Nicola Morgan cleverly draws the reader in from the very first page and involves you in the story by means of flipping a coin to determine where the story goes next. My heart was thumping on several occasions and the end is nothing short of brilliant. Buy it - there's no chance you'll regret it.
Barbara Henderson
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really original concept: alternating narrators, but also parallel endings, depending on the toss of a coin. I liked this a lot as an idea and really took to the girl narrator in particular who is burdened by her mother's alcoholism while carving out her own identity in the world. Bit fiddly at the end - it fragments, which is the cleverness of it but can hinder the flow for the final chapters.
Tori
Apr 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish

Didn't like this book at all. The writing wasn't amazing n although I thought the idea sounded good it just didn't work in the end.
I hated that half the time I was reading stuff I'd already read and even though your meant too pick I couldn't help but read both to see the alternative story.
Didnt even finish it.
Marsha Sigman
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was different. Strange and haunting. After a few chapters you become familiar with the British vocabulary and just fall into the story. It's interactive, have to see read it to understand and I cannot say how happy I was that the coin came up tails for me.

Awesome book.
Dave Cousins
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-top-reads
Brilliant! The book uses a really unique voice – a very effective way to tell the story. I know it's a cleché, but I really found this difficult to put down and suspect I may have to read it again. It is also one of those books that will stay with me – haunt me even!
Dave
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
My first and last from Nicola Morgan. Lots of little by-plays which hinted more later and never did. Was Jack dangerous? Didn't see any situation where he was. Pointless part about her dad, which went nowhere. Tedious nonsense. Why did I bother finishing it?
Mariam Abood
I feel this book could of had a lot of potential but it just became dull and boring as the story progressed so I couldn't finish it.
Amelia
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OMG, must read!!!! Can't tell much because of spoilers but wowzers it's good!
Catherine
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite book of the last year.
Gabrielle
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
It was alright. I not the best book I've read. I wish there was more chance to flip the coin.
Pamela Morgan
Mar 16, 2015 added it
Shelves: yr-9
Jack decides his actions by the flip of a coin, no risk is too great if the coin demands it. Luck is running out.
Rhys
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Confusing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Della Says: OMG!
  • Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery
  • Being Billy
  • An Act of Love
  • One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #1)
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • My So-Called Phantom Lovelife (Afterlife, #3)
  • City of Thieves (Castle of Shadows, #2)
  • serafina67 *urgently requires life*
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • Dead Romantic
  • Pretty Twisted
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
  • Mortlock
  • David
  • Immortal Remains (Weirdsville, #2)
“Nothing is until it is and until then everything is possible.” 1 likes