Start by marking “Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family” as Want to Read:
Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family

For more information, visit www.devradavis.com.The much-anticipated, explosive expose of how cell phone use damages brain cells, especially in children, by one of the world's foremost scientific experts in the field.

Devra Davis presents an array of recent and long suppressed research in this timely bombshell. Cell phone radiation is a national emergency. Stunningly, the most popular gadget o
Published September 23rd 2010 by Dutton (first published September 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Disconnect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disconnect

Start your review of Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
Karen!
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but this expose was not all that shocking to me. Maybe my expectations were simply too high. I mean, it is billed as "The much-anticipated, explosive expose" that will rock your socks because it is "by one of the world's foremost scientific experts in the field"! I did not enjoy how the author related much of the information as anecdotal.

Also, if someone tells me that cell phone radiation is a national emergency one more time. . . I think that I wasn'
Sara
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The title may seem like an admonition but it actually refers to the relationship between public perception and scientific knowledge regarding cell phone use as well as the relationship between industry-sponsored study findings and non-industry sponsored studies. As a researcher, what I find most alarming is how independent research no longer exists. Everything is government or industry funded. If research interferes with deep pockets' bottom line, you'll find yourself without funding. The teleco ...more
Liz
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swapped, non-fiction
Very interesting…All the research that shows that cell phone are safe were funded by the cell phone industry and make the assumptions that we use our phones for less than 2 hours a week and do not hold the phone against your body. And entomologists have shown that heavy users of cell phones for 10 or more years have double the rate of brain cancer. Scary! I did not know that cell phones now come with a warning (in small print hidden in the manual) that the phone should be at least one inch from ...more
Stephen
Mar 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I can't stand Doom and Gloom books. This gives no thought to the other side of the debate. If they don't support the author's accusations, then they're part of the conspiracy against her propaganda. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with this crap.
Scribe Publications
This book describes an immense disconnect between common opinions about cell phone safety and the actual data ... a must-read for anyone who cares about our children’s brains.
David Servan-Schreiber, Author of Anticancer

Disconnect will surprise many and anger some. It tells all too human stories behind the science and engineering of cell phones and raises important unresolved questions about this universal technology.
Frank A. Barnes Professor, University of Colorado at Boulder; Member of the National Academy of Engineering

An ama/>An/>Frank/>David
John Hood
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Examining the dangers of cellphones

BY JOHN HOOD

Miami Herald 10/10/10

Every day billions of people use a cellphone to call loved ones, friends, colleagues, sometimes even strangers. They use their phones to seek and find work, homes, perhaps a date, to keep track of their children, keep watch on an elder, and, of course, for emergencies.

But could it be that sleek little gadget that has become such an integral part of our lives is harming us? Accordin
Tyler N
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was informative about radiation but a little repetitive. Overall I found some of the information interesting.
Elisabeth
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Jeff Shelnutt
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sociology, science
I'm not all that surprised that in the land of industry cover-ups for the sake of profit, there is a suppression of information concerning the negative effects of cell-phone radiation. Two questions that are posed in the preface are worth contemplating:

1) Did you know that most cell phones come with a notice that says, "do not hold closer than one inch from your body?"

2) Did you know that insurance companies refuse to provide coverage to cell phone companies and operators
Steven Magee
I was having a problem growing plants in certain areas of my garden. Some areas would be fine, in other areas the plants would show strange growth patterns, and some areas they would simply die. I would replace the dead plants and the new plants would die. I knew that there was something up in the garden for years and could not figure it out...until I took all of my wireless devices out of service. My garden sprung back into life!!! Many wireless devices have biologically harmful fields around t ...more
Stephanie
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I heard Dr. Davis speak a several weeks ago on BookTV. The subtitle of this book is "The truth about cell phone radiation, What the industry has done to hide it, and how to protect your family. Dr. David holds a Ph.D. as well as an MPH. I found the book to be an interesting narrative on the development of electromagnetic fields in modern technology, the health hazards connected with it, as well as suggestions for using the technology safely. She also reviews efforts to regulate what is available ...more
J & J
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do believe cell phones (and other hand held technology with EMF radiation) are the "new" cigarettes of today. Once thought to be harmless and safe "if used less than two hours per week," cell phones are not just ruining relationships but the destruction reaches far more vastly into cognitive/neurological disorders as well as chronic and deadly health ramifications.
Peter Migner
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very interesting book. Makes you reconsider how one gets exposed to radiation and how we should protect ourselves and our families.
Shailen
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering the affection and dependence most people have developed for their smart phones, few would even consider reading this important book. Instead, most people are content with putting their trust in the corporations that profit from the sale of these devices. The cell phone industry claim that their products have been proven safe by an "independent" scientific organization, but the truly independent researchers, such as Dr. Davis and many others, have reviewed the research, met with scien ...more
Tracey
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
nonfiction; tech history and health concerns. We want to be able to dismiss people who say cell phones (and cordless phones, and other types of wireless radiation) are unsafe, but Davis presents a lot of suspicious coverups and research that scratches the surface of what harm it might actually do. It would be unthinkable to eliminate such conveniences entirely, but please consider:
* the "safety" studies conducted by the industry and influenced by the industry are not realistic or current with t
Kimber
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read the appendix first.

It is unfortunate how poorly written and boring this book is because it affects everyone, particularly parents who allow their children access to electromagnetic devices.

It fascinates me that we use radiation-causing devices so thoughtlessly and even tolerate this use by children without regard to the potential consequences.

Just because the government tells us they are safe, doesn't mean they are correct--or even truthful. Look at the tobacco industry. Look at the chem
Ko Matsuo
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
The most interesting thing about this book is that it really doesn't do what you would expect, i.e, show a cause-effect relationship between dangers of radiation (DNA damage, brain cancer etc) and cell phone usage. Serious studies over the years that have shown otherwise are downplayed as being funded by the industry, conducted over an insufficient period of time, and not included children in the study. Have there been cases of brain cancer? Unfortunately, yes. Has the incidence of brain cancer ...more
Amanda
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who cares about themselves and someone else
Recommended to Amanda by: Found out about it here!
I want to love this book but it has no works cited and the index is empty (unedited version). I should find a new copy and check that out.

If all of these statements can be backed up, everyone should read this.

It gives an in depth history of an industry I previously knew nothing about and should have been more wary of from the start. I have learned things that will haunt me.

I had a friend die of cancer last year (we still miss you Julian) and as he was wilting away in his
Nathan Shepherd
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
An eye-opening read about the science behind microwave radiation from cell phones and their impacts on biological systems. I learned a lot, and I have some concerns, now, too. Is our scientific research completely independent from industry interests, particularly now that industry funds much of the engineering research? Lots of interesting questions and unknowns. Cell phones aren't going away - and this book acknowledges that fact. But shouldn't consumers be informed about possible risks? And if ...more
Mariam Sultana
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is about prevention. Cell phones shouldn't be held up to our heads, especially children's heads, because the small microwaves of radiation can negatively affect us over time. Cell phone radiation standards are based on the idea of a "human" that is biologically more resistant to radiation than the majority of real people are. They call this "guy" SAM, or Standard Anthropomorphic Man.

All that being said, much of the book is over explained. It should have been condensed into an Atlantic
Denise
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book read more like a high school student's research paper with a few gems here and there than a "Oh My Gosh, this book CHANGED MY LIFE." This was mainly due to the fact that there were at least 10 spelling/grammar mistakes in the first 50 pages (I received an ARC, so lets hope those were all fixed before the final publication), but the book really was just a brief history of the invention of the cell phone with a few important messages/words of advice.
LarixLaricina
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great book because it collects an array of non-industry-funded studies and interviews which highlight concerns that thinking people should have regarding cellphone technology. From how radiation standards were set, to the fine print on cellphone manuals - Debra puts solid info into readers' hands. The book's not only worth reading, it's worth buying for those you care about, especially those who have children with cellphones constantly at their ears and on their bodies.
Olivia
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Beate
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Better to be careful than sorry. There was quite a bit of hype in this book, but some of the arguments are compelling. Safety of cell phones should definitely be researched more and not be funded by the cell phone industry!
I agree with other reviewers that the book is not written well and could have used more editing.
Lenore Riegel
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have read Dr. Davis' other award-winning books - she is the real deal and cares about safety, especially children's safety. She has devoted her life to this mission - the least we can do is devote a few hours to this well-researched informative book. There may just be a serious safety issie here - this book may just save your life.
Joey B
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An extremely important message that we all need to heed. There is so little information on this topic and corporations have been censoring it for the entire time. This is a sad sad world when people do not even know what can hurt them.
Kelley
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
For anyone who has children or grandchildren using cell phones or if you are a heavy cell phone user, this book shines light on studies not shared by main stream media. A little scary and something everyone should consider.
Amanda
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Very Interesting Concepts, but I will still be using my cell phone. Albeit, probably worrying the whole time I am using it, but I am a creature of habit and unfortunately, we have all become accustomed to the efficiency that cell phones provide to keep in touch with others.
Craig
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cell phones, particularly 3G phones, have been shown to weaken the blood-brain barrier and hence allow toxins in the blood, like alcohol, to impact the brain. There is good news: cell phones carried in the front pocket have also been shown to negatively impact male fertility.
Liz
Nov 08, 2010 added it
A chore to read. There is no real credible evidence to support this author's claims.

• Girls Like Us
  • Where You Once Belonged
  • The Night Gardener
Devra Davis is an American epidemiologist and writer. Her book When Smoke Ran Like Water, which begins with the tale of the Donora Smog of 1948, was a finalist for the National Book Award in 2002. Davis's second book, The Secret History of the War on Cancer, was published by Basic Books in October 2007.

She is currently the director of the Center for Environmental Oncology of the University of Pitts