Start by marking “The Complete Midshipman Bolitho: Richard Bolitho, Midshipman, Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger & Band of Brothers” as Want to Read:

(Richard Bolitho #1-3)

Three novels in one! Sixteen-year-old Richard Bolitho joins the British Royal Navy as a young midshipman. Follow his adventures as he undergoes a severe initiation into the dangerous world of the great sailing warships! 1. Richard Bolitho: Midshipman 1772: a young Richard Bolitho joins the 74-gun Gorgon. Naive and untested, Bolitho must learn the ways of the navy quickly i ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by McBooks Press (first published January 1st 2006)

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.]
Apr 28, 2018 marked it as could-not-finish
Shelves: fiction
Maybe Cornwell and O'brian and Forester have spoiled me, but this is just so Dull.
Alan
So without trying I have kept alive my December tradition of beginning a historical fiction novel. All right I got it for free off of Google Play awhile ago, and yep most of the historical fiction I read seems to be pinned to the topic of the British Navy. I can probably blame this on being in the seeming minority that like the Hornblower books (as an aside first editions were given to me by my now former spouse years ago of four of the first five books as written, not the character's chronologi ...more
AndrewP
Alexander Kent was a pen name of Douglas Reeman, who passed away in January 2017. Having several of the book in this series on my bookshelf I thought it fitting to read one now.

This book is actually a collection of three novellas that document the early years of Richard Bolitho. When we join the story in the first novella, Bolitho has already served on one ship as a Midshipman but is then posted to a 74 gun two decker. Here he meets the usual assortment of fellow officers and crew. The second st
Todd Gutschow
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent English Sailing Story

In the vein of the Horatio Hornblower series, this is a great English sailing story. It is very similar in many ways; the every day struggle of English seamen and the risks and rewards of those young officers trying to advance their careers. If you like English sailing stories you will like this book.
Volpot
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Reread after many years. Good as I remember
Stephan Ludlow
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to read the rest of the series.
John B. Morgan
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read!

I enjoy sea adventure novels, and am pleasantly surprised at the pace and characters. Try this novel. Others in the series may appeal to you.
Ross-Barry Finlayson.
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good 'Claytons' book.
Chris Shockey
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading!

Another great sea epic begins! Great maritime adventure in the tradition of Horatio Hornblower and Jack Aubrey. Great page turners that you'll not want to put down!
Bill Scoville
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The age of tall ships

I've always been a great fan of books about the great age of tall ships, and Alexander Kent doesn't disappoint
Jack Evancheck
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Horizon Ahead

I grew up on Hornblower , thanks to a movie meet Captain Jack Aubrey, and now get to know Bolitho. Can't Wait! ! !
Barry Edstene
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read!

I have been reading about the sea for a long time. First it was Moby Dick when I was in Jr High. This started me on a lifetime adventure enjoying one great story after another. This caused me to wind up living on a 40 ft sloop sailing the Gulf and Atlantic from the Keys to the Statue of Liberty for a number of years. I must say that now, in my 73rd year, it is refreshing to find an author as knowledgeable in sailing as Alexander Kent. This was my first Kent book but not my last
John Taylor
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great seafaring story

These three stories which begin the adventures of Midshipman Bolitho are as enjoyable as the Hornblower series but not as indepth and descriptive as the Aubrey/Maurtin series. All in all great stories that fill your high seas adventure itch.
John
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Three short stories describing Richard Bolitho's experiences as a sixteen year old midshipman in the British Royal Navy in 1772, trying to become an officer in the King's Navy. He gets his first taste of battle off the coast of West Africa where the HMS Gorgon encounters pirates and slavers. After he returns to England, he becomes part of a temporary crew on the corvette, HMS Avenger, captained by his older brother, Hugh as they chase smugglers and wreckers operating along England's rugged coast ...more
Dave
Well-written seafaring adventure featuring a very young man's experiences as he begins his Royal Navy career on wooden sailing ships. Although the story unfolds steadily, I was never compelled to get back to the book, whenever I set it down. Why was I not as involved as I'd like to be? - probably because the action was described at a cold distance. I was not emotionally committed. I found the basic story (green beginner meets and overcomes multiple obstacles) lacking originality, as I feel like ...more
Loretta Gabriel
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting story of life in the early English Navy.

The author has done an amazing job of putting together a story of the life of a young man's life as a midshipman. He had some great adventure.
Myke Edwards
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun looks at seafaring life, but waaaaaaay too much telling and head-hopping. I know that those weren't "rules" of writing when these books were written but it is very distracting. I found myself rereading sentences and paragraphs to figure out who was the POV character for that page, and not quite getting what was going on since there was a lot of skipping out on action, but then long dragging scenes describing someone standing still.
When there is action and such, it's pretty cool, unless the h
Doug Hoffman
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent Nautical Yarn

Basically three "young lad joins the King's navy" tales stitched together to make a book. Entertaining as such things go, though the middle story was far to convoluted to maintain equal interest. Formatting was off in a number of places, odd sentence splits, fragmented paragraphs. I enjoyed it, but then I got it for free. Certainly not worth more than $2 off sale.
Cathy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best British naval series ever!!

The Bolitho midshipmen series was so good I read all three books one after the other. The author makes you feel like you are really there along with the navy. The action was non-stop and the battle scenesa were good without being too graphic. Also there was no profanity to speak off, and no coarse talk about women (rare in a military story. I have already ordered the next 2 books.
Pamela
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical Sailing

There is a learning curve for any landlubber who reads this book. It is a coming of age of sorts. A young man earns his way to being a ship's officer.
There's an education in sailing, in British Navy life in the late 1700's, in ships of the Navy, and a unromanticized view of what all that life takes. I have gained respect for the men who met the challenges of life on the seas.
Craig
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Re-read. Pretty good, but can't stand up to the Hornblower series. And not quite equal to the recently read Charles Hayden duo either. This compilation was a bit uneven, with the middle book being the weakest. The biggest flaw, for me, is the author sets the reader at a bit of a remove from the main character. There's a little coldness here in contrast to Hornblower. Enjoyed it though, and will read more.
Matt
Jun 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I really enjoyed this first book in a new series of life in the Royal Navy. The interest in this series is that it begins just as the American Revolution is about to break out and I'm anticipating it being interesting reading from the British perspective (albeit fictional).

Good stuff!
G L Meisner
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great set of books. Well written and amazingly detailed for being so simple. The accuracy of the sailing aspects is part of what drives these stories. The rest of the books are definitely on my reading list.
Lorina Stephens
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this collection it was Band of Brothers I had not previously read. As always with Kent's Bolitho series, impeccable historical research and attention to detail. Character point of view tends to wander a bit, but not so that it's distracting. Great naval, Georgian/Regency Era escapism.
Rusty
These are really novellas, so I decided to count the three as one. They do all encompass Bolitho's time as a midshipmen, so the three work as one. I'm a sucker for books about sailing. These were probably written for teen boys, but there was enough to keep me reading.
Enid G. Ballantyne
Not as well written as the Patrick O'Brian books but enjoyable. I will read more of Bolitho and see if the book

I enjoyed. this book but found it less polished and full
Of life as the Aubrey/Maturin series. I will read more.
Bob Lenning
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not at all difficult to tell that the third was written much later than the first two. I almost liked the simpler language of the first two better. Great adventure! I'll be surprised if I don't read all of the novels in this series.
Steve
An enjoyable maritime fiction omnibus. If the characters are not as wonderfully complex as O'Brian's, the story transports you back to the late 1700s.
Jeri Stofa
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, to live through words what sailors went through while at sea required amazing courage, especially when they joined they were so young.
Jim
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Would give 3 and 1/2 stars. I enjoy the genre, and this was good but no O'Brian or Hornblower.

• Ramage's Devil (The Lord Ramage Novels, #13)
  • A King's Trade (Alan Lewrie, #13)
  • Fire Down Below (To the Ends of the Earth, #3)

Richard Bolitho (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)
  • Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger (Richard Bolitho, #2)
  • Band of Brothers (Richard Bolitho, #3)
  • Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6)
  • To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7)
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • Passage to Mutiny (Richard Bolitho, #9)
  • With All Despatch (Richard Bolitho, #10)