Start by marking “Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)

Murder in Vein

(A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery #1)

The sight of the blood covered fangs exploded from her deep memory like a ballthrough a plate glass window. The man had bitten Bobby, torn into him like a barbequed rib on the Fourth of July.

Vampires. Vam-pires. Real live - er, dead (undead?) - bloodsucking vampires, living in the City of Angels. Madison Rose, a street-smart twenty-something waitress would never have belie
Published September 8th 2010 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Vein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Vein

John
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novel, but a word of caution: the cover bills it as a "Fang-in-Cheek Mystery," which is doubly misleading. It's neither a comedy nor a parody but a straightforward adventure (with vampires of course), and there's an investigation of murders but not a mystery in the Agatha Christie sense--better to call it a Vampire Council procedural.

Set in the Los Angeles area, the story posits a Vampire Council that enforces vampire law and sees to it that the existence of vampires remains a dee
Tiffany Cole
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tiffany by: Suspense Magazine
Gagged, beat up, and trapped in a forest. That's how readers meet the street savvy waitress Madison Rose, and it's as terrifying a start as it is interesting. When she thinks her biggest fear is the psycho that put her in that position, a dark figure with fangs emerges from the forest and rips her captor apart. "We'll have to kill her," is the first thing he says and the last thing she hears that night.

When Madison comes to, she finds herself in a beautiful room. An elderly woman vaguely fills
Scooper Speaks
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Murder in Vein is book one in Sue Ann Jaffarian’s Fang-in-Cheek mystery series. In Jaffarian’s vampire world the California Vampire Council rules over the vampires in the area with the ancient vampire Samuel La Croix sitting as council head. All of the other vampires defer to him. Samuel is intriguing. He will do whatever it takes to protect those he cares for and he is vicious. But with Madison he is patient. I really like him. Definitely better than I like Madison.

It’s not like Madison is a ho
Sheryl
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, vampire
3-1/2 stars: Hmmm...what do I say about this book? I have really mixed feelings about it, hence the 3-1/2 stars. I couldn't quite give it 4 (when I compare it to other books I've given 4 stars to) yet it doesn't quite rate a 3.

The book started off very shaky for me. The writing felt very unpolished and perhaps that is why I didn't quite get sucked into the story immediately. The writing left me feeling ambivalent to all the characters and what was going on plotwise. As the book progressed, the w
Gary Varner
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this down

I hate/love it when I read a book I just cannot put down until I've finished. Each chapter compelled me forward to the next. Great plot, twists, and character development on Madison Rose from front to the end. Can't wait to read the next in the series, but when I do, will start reading it earlier in the day since I probably won't be able to put it down either until finished.
M. White
This is an interesting and somewhat unique approach to the usual vampire legend, and I really enjoyed the way the author is developing the story line. I look forward to more in this series.
Marsha
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this one down.
Kathy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
interesting take on the vampire genre.

But why do most of these female leads do stupid stuff that puts them in danger??? Sigh
Melissa Jane Hewett
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable vampire book. Can't wait to read the second one.
Roni
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love anything Sue Ann Jaffarian writes!
Cailin Lewis
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
GREEEAT Vamp Book, one of my favorites now. The climax however could have been a little more. Why kill of Gordon to?
Darlene Musser
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started slow but ended very nicely.
Nora-adrienne
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
Murder in Vein (A Fang in Cheek Mystery)
Sue Ann Jaffarian
Copyright 2010

Madison Rose is a twenty-something recent newcomer to California. She works as a waitress in a diner and is just trying to make her way in life. Leaving work one evening she is hit from behind and wakes up bound, gagged and very scared. In the course of her abduction she was knocked around, had her clothes ripped off and dragged around while he moved her from the car.

Then while she’s wondering what is going to happen next h
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of Sue Ann Jaffarian's other mystery series, but don't tend to read vampire stories so wasn't sure what I would think, but I loved this whodunnit, which delves into the world of vampires and vampire envy. Madison Rose finds herself shocked to discover that vampires are real, and that she almost died because of them. She goes to live with her new vampire "grandparents," who wind up becoming the only family she has, only to become the target of those who think if they kill her, they are ...more
Michael Mallory
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Murder in Vein" takes a well-used theme--vampires among us--and puts a whole new twist on it. Here the vampires aren't a sub-culture, they're almost like hidden royalty, taking mortal justice into their own hands when the situation demands it. Sue Ann Jaffarian has written cross-genre mystery that genuinely does justice to both genres, presenting vampires that are alternately charming and terrifying, and a heroine who is believable as she navigates the "real" world, which has done her no favors ...more
Kallierose
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jenn
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I read Jaffarian's Too Big to Miss and like it well enough. Then I stumbled on Ghost A La Mode and loathed it. So, I gave another of her series a try. This one was probably somewhere in the middle. I waffled between a C- and a D+, but went with the D+ in the end. Madison is a "heroine" that's totally TSTL. She continually makes dumb decisions. To her benefit, though, these vampires are making plenty of dumb decisions too. *SPOILER ALERT* For instance, near the beginning, Madison leaves to invest ...more
Naomi Ruth
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
At first I wasn't sure how I felt about this book. There were some rough passages, and I don't think it was the best book ever written. There were some cliches and some moments where I wasn't sure if the emotions were described well (I blame this on Plato, since I read this right after discussing Book X of The Republic.) But I actually really liked it. I liked the characters and the description of place. I liked that the main girl (I'm blanking on her name... Oh. Duh. It's in the title, Madison) ...more
Cherie Phillips
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story it was another I just stumbled across while looking for something to read between my regular series. I was hooked within a couple of pages, the heroine Madison is a strong character who has had a difficult life but does not expect handouts and I liked her a lot. It's a great mystery read that just happens to involve vampires but they are only a part in the story which was refreshing for a change. I would in no way call this a romance because it is not but there are some sexual ...more
Deborah Lee
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Madison Rose discovers the world of vampires in this, the first of the "Fang in Cheek" series. Despite the series title, this is not a light-hearted vampire romp. The somewhat dark tale is an innovative twist on a common theme---the hidden, underworld of vampires. At times, the plot seemed to bog down and the narrative description of people and places became too detailed. But this first book laid out an interesting premise and an intriguing set of characters, with the stage set for the next book ...more
Holly
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, mystery
Madison Rose, a twenty something waitress who grew up in foster care, is saved from death by vampires. OR has she? Young women have been turning up dead, drained of their blood. Now the murderers are after her. Will the copy cat vampires expose the real ones? Will either side let her live? I really enjoyed this mystery and am looking forward to the next book in Sue Ann Jaffarain's Fang-in-Cheek mystery series. I don't think you have to be a vampire fan to enjoy the plot twists and turns.
Kai Hunter
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mysteries
I have read all of Ms. Jaffarian's two other mystery series, but held out on the Madison Rose Vampire Mysteries because it involved...well...vampires. I just didn't think I'd be interested. I was wrong. I enjoyed this story as much as any of the Odelia Grey or Granny Apples mysteries. The vampire myth is far more believable than Twilight and I even had a few LOL moments. I have already started the 2nd book in the series.
Inara
Actually 3.5 stars

Funny and quick to read book about a waitress who gets kidnapped and is saved by vampires and has to acknowlegde that vampires are actually real. Of course she has difficulties to adjust..
The mystery wasnt overly exciting and sadly the vampires interested in Madison (the heroine)were not very appealing to me but nonetheless I liked the book and I will definitely read the next book in this series.
Linda
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well most of you know I like vampire books. I found this one on the new release shelf at the library. It had me totally enthralled for about the first 60 pages or so. The concept for vampires was new and I was fascinated by the story. I have to admit though that it slowed down a little but still a good read. I'm sure I will check out more books by this author who has written a few different series.
Chelsea
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once I stopped waiting for Odelia Grey to show up, I really started to enjoy this book. Madison Rose has a real reaction to discovering the world of vampires, both fasinated and repulsed by it. Some of the story was predictable, but it was still compelling (once I got into it, it was hard to put it down) and had a little twist at the end. I will definitely be one of the first in line to buy the next book & I believe Sue Ann Jaffarian carved out a spot for herself in the paranormal world.
Diane Heath
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The opening salvo in a new vampire oriented series. This one is by same author as Granny Apples mysteries and Odelia Grey mysteries. Madison Rose finds herself in dire straits when she is kidnapped for a serial killer. Her rescue comes in the form of an elderly couple who just happen to be vampires. The combination of solving the case of a serial killer while being initiated into the world of vampires in LA. makes interesting reading
Mark Baker
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Madison Rose is kidnapped and is about to be killed until she is rescued - by vampires. And they want to use her to try to solve a series of murders that threaten their secret existence. Can she even trust them? I enjoyed the book and really grew to like the characters. Some of the scenes were just too dark for me, however.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
❂ Jennifer
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This book started out a little to intense and depressing for me, as I usually like my protagonist to be a little lighter and more humorous. But the story progressed nicely and hooked me with interesting characters and a good mystery, one where I didn't see the culprit until they were revealed. I'm not certain I'll read the next one as this is definitely a heavier series than I normally go for, but I'm definitely going to take a look at the next one.
Lori
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jaffarian gets better with each book. A departure from her usual mystery novels, MURDER IN VEIN is darker, more serious. Tight pacing and prose. Interesting characters. (Don't make the Dedhams angry...) I stopped at 4 Stars because I guessed the identities of the guilty halfway through the book. A very promising series debut.
Carol
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with this author after I read her Odelia Grey mysteries so I ordered this one out of curiosity.
It was a great read and I liked her take on the vampire community. The story was one that kept my interest and made me want to read more. I've ordered the second in this series and am looking forward to reading it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mind Over Monsters (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #1)
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger #3)
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • No Mercy (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #1)
  • Embrace the Grim Reaper (Grim Reaper Mystery, #1)
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
  • The Magic of Blood
  • Faked To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2)
  • Chicago Lightning: The Collected Nathan Heller Short Stories (Nathan Heller Short Stories, #3)
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  • Underdead (Underdead Mystery #1)
  • Revenant (Zoe Martinique, #4)
  • Spiral Hunt (Evie Scelan, #1)
  • Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2)
  • Eye of the Tempest (Jane True, #4)
Sue Ann Jaffarian is the author of the popular Odelia Grey mystery series, the Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series and the Madison Rose vampire mysteries, as well as short stories.

Sue Ann also writes the Winnie Wilde romance novellas.

Like the character Odelia Grey, Sue Ann Jaffarian is a middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal. She lives in Los Angeles.

In addition to writing, Sue Ann is sought after a

A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery (2 books)
  • Baited Blood (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #2)