Start by marking “His Penniless Beauty” as Want to Read:
His Penniless Beauty

His Penniless Beauty

Penniless and purchased...

Four years ago, Sophie loved Nikos Kazandros with all her heart. What she didn't know was that Nikos would take her virginity and then move on....

Mass Market Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2931, 192 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about His Penniless Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Penniless Beauty

seton
May 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans who like the really over-the-top melodramatic Presents
Shelves: category, d-n-f
Four yrs ago, Sophie was a concert pianist. Now, she is a professional escort. Oh, the shame of it! The degradation! Brought to you by the author of Baby Of Shame.

This was my first Julia James. And my last. Way too over-the-top for me.

Ultra dramatic writing style.

Written. In. Very. Short. Sentences.

With lots of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of unnecessary, ridiculous, pontificating, overblown, specious, wasteful, exorbitant, gratuitous, profuse adjectives!!!!!!!!!!!!
willaful
This was so exactly the sort of high-octane read I was looking for, that it was easy to overlook its flaws. You can't criticize a book for being cliched when you're looking for a story about a mean hero who thinks the heroine is a conniving slut, now can you? And there actually was a teeny bit of twist at the end, to make it a little different from its fellows.

There's no denying that the writing is repetitive and overwrought and the word choices occasionally odd. And the almost unrelieved suffer
seton
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is the American version of Penniless and Purchased. Same story, different title.

This was my first Julia James. And my last. Way too over-the-top for me.

Ultra dramatic writing style.

Written. In. Very. Short. Sentences.

With lots of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of unnecessary, ridiculous, pontificating,
Jacqueline J
seriously? you are broke and the only way you can think of to make money is to be an escort? Waiting tables too good for you?
Alex is The Romance Fox
This was a very sad story and until the last chapter I kept thinking….no these two people will never be together!!!

A sophisticated, rich and handsome hero is captivated by a very young, innocent and endearing heroine, who very quickly is enthralled for the first time in life and after being seduced by the hero, believes she has found her knight in shining armour and being young and immature tells that to him!!

So what does Nikos do??? He throws her away and accuses her of using her body to get hi
Lynsey A
This was a little ridiculous that the heroine's only choice to earn extra money was to be an escort. I mean later in the book we find out she turned down working at a "bar job" because of the sexual harrassment she would receive. Seriously? Because there is no harrassment when working as an "escort." Albeit, she did have another job as a shoe clerk and did need more money but the escort storyline was just created for drama and was a bit over the top.

This book didn't really do it for me. I felt t
Jenny
Apr 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
No plot plus the writing style is atrocious! Endless inner monologues and descriptions and zero dialogue.
Dianna
As a guileless teenager, Sophie spent happy days at piano college and every afternoon, walked home across the park to her millionaire father’s millionaire mansion in London. She’s not talented enough to be anything more than a plinky piano player, but she’s daddy’s princess so everything will be lovely always, and while she’s spoiled she’s a really nice girl. She’s a little troubled because daddy is a bit worried about money, but it’s probably nothing terribly important and then one afternoon, b ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Okay, it's cold and rainy here. I worked my butt off over the week-end cleaning out the garage and all I wanted to do is crawl back under the covers and read! I knew I'd read this before, but it has been awhile. I've always loved James' plots so I grabbed this one out of the "donate to library book sale" pile and snuggles under the covers.

When I came back on to GRs I was suprised I only rated this one three stars the first time. Shows what a moody read I am. Sure, seems like the heroine c
StMargarets
Does anyone remember that TV show Lost in Space? In it a drama llama named Doctor Smith would bleat out, "Oh, the pain. The pain!" when things didn't go his way. He was usually in some kind of pain of his own making and he enjoyed the drama.

This is story about a heroine drowning in that sort of melodramatic pain - whether it is financial pain, bittersweet memories of her courtship with the hero, fear for her future, humiliation for working as an escort, or despair of ever seeing the hero again.
RLA
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
The hero Nikos is at a party that he really doesn't want to be at when he sees Sophie, the heroine, dressed up like a tart and on the arm of a lecherous businessman. He is reminded of how Sophie and her innocence were once his, and now she seems anything but innocent, and his anger gets the better of him. Sophie is devastated to see Nikos for the first time since he abandoned her and her whole world had come crashing down. She especially hates that he has to see her now, in her lowest moment, ac ...more
Vintage
Oy veh, the inner monologuing has begun.

Stupid character doing stupid things. I'm just not going to bother.
Diya
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hp, modern-hp
Waste.Of.Time.

Full stop.

I should have just took the reviews and avoided it - it's just as bad everyone stated.

Ending felt unreal, literally I had hard time swallowing the end I skimmed the epilogue lost interest by then a bit to late but this was same as one her recent work greek secret son.

The story wasn't bad just lacked substance and I didn't find the the MC endearing in anyway. I didn't buy what the hero confessed at the end wasn't believable and that's before I even comment on whole escor
Missy
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sweet fairytale like romance....a wonderfully sweet good daughter falls in love with a Greek knight in shining armour then misunderstandings happen & he leaves her in the poor house. Her father falls ill & major money is required for him to get well leaving the daughter no choice but to become an dinner escort. Enter the Greek knight who sees this & sets out to rescue her for her own good. They can't help but to be drawn back together by their love but will it be enough to conquer ...more
Nishtha
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it

A very emotional book.

A tearjerker.

Four stars.

Sophie was abandoned and insulted by Nikos Kazandros five years ago. After dating her and taking her to the moon, he left her behind thinking she was just after his money.

Sophie's father was facing a huge problem. A big debt which kept piling up, he had just one person who could help him, Nikos. Her dad never told her of his problems, she was the apple of his eye. But after Nikos leaves her, he leaves the last option her dad had.

Five years later, N
Mo
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Should the h have forgiven the H in the end?

Should the H have got away with his abysmal assumptions, considering the destruction they wrought?

Should the H have got to the end without the h kicking him repeatedly in the nuts?

description
Danielle
Miss
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was ok

Now, not knowing where to turn for money, Sophie has taken a job she wouldn't normally have considered. But on her very first night things go disastrously wrong when she bumps into.Nikos. He's outraged to see how she's earning a living and knows he needs to stop her immediately. But the only way to do that is to keep her close and pay for her time...

My i
Su
May 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
H`s love is unconvincing. He is mean SOB. He is a billionaire, yet scared to death lose money in helping to h`s father who is in dire financial trouble. When she mentions marriage and his help to her father after they are in bed first time together, he leaves her after throwing terrible insults her way. Mind you, she is very young and has just given her virginity to him!
Some plots are really far from being romantic. It is plain annoying.
Paula Brandon
Tonya Warner
Sophie had always been well protected and shielded from the hardships of life by her loving father. Allowed to fulfill her childhood dreams of playing the piano, and pampered beyond belief, the arrival of Nikos in to her life seemed to add to the fantastic fairytale existance she lead. But like many fairytales, there is often a grim reminder that things are not always as they appear.

For four years, Nikos has lived with the betrayal he felt when Sophie gave him her virginity, in the hopes they wo
Vanessa Jaye
The balance between introspection, flashbacks and the pacing/development of the current day romance didn't quite work for me. And all exclamations peppered throughout the story might have been for emotional emphasis, but they were ultimately distracting.

I haven't rated this one because I'm not sure what rate to assigned. There were several good elements--a nice twist at the end, and I did believe the characters had been in love previously and that they'd never felt that way about anyone else si
Sarah Winters
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
I have no idea what possessed me to read this - but I did. Now with the deed done, I'm left wondering why no one has gifted this author with a thesaurus. Her over-excessive use of the terms 'sheered off the memory' and 'razored breath' made me groan and skip pages until Bam! There's the same phrase all over again. Plot wise you could see where this one was going from reading the back cover and the heroine's emo-like despair at her situation makes her kinda suck. I spent most of the book hating t ...more
Caro
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h-mnb
An ok read. There was a lot of anguish, a few parts where things were worded a little off for me and kinda slow, but overall a good book. I mostly liked the characters and the book was written well and flowed. There were some head-knocking moments, plenty of emotions, strength, assumptions, surprises, and a good HEA ending. A good book for something to read or passing time but probably not something I would seek out. Good Luck
elstaffe
I was happily puttering along through this book, somewhat disappointed that it was just a normal Presents and not living up to the crack I had heard about, when all of a sudden...WHAM. The crazy. It appeared.
Storm Chase
Jul 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Lots of angst with little characterisation, practically no plot, and all built around the idea that women are greedy hos who need to be redeemed by being dragged into the gutter. A dreadful book. Glad I got it second hand. Am binning it.
Brittney Bower
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
i thought it was just plain sad how there first relationship ended. and how she tried to keep it ell together.
Kalyani
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romantics
Recommended to Kalyani by: i picked it myself
good story and the style of narration is good. i liked the characterization. story is well paced and not dragging. i liked it..
Ladyacct
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
It was different, with a ending that I have never seen before in a romance.
Laura Trott
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Average - it was a normal mills and boon story - if you enjoy them you will probably enjoy this book.

• The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
  • The Ranieri Bride (For Love or Money)
  • Bride, Bought and Paid For
  • Public Affair, Secretly Expecting (Harlequin Presents #2906)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Convenient Wife (Greek Billionaires' Brides #2)
  • The Mélendez Forgotten Marriage
  • Fugitive Bride - Mencari Mempelai yang Hilang
  • In Christofides' Keeping
  • Spanish Magnate, Red-Hot Revenge
  • The Sheikh's Love-Child
  • Ruthless Billionaire, Forbidden Baby
  • The Frenchman's Love-Child (Brides of L'Amour, #1)
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten
  • The Lover's Knot (No Better Angels, #2)
  • The Ultimate Risk
  • The Italian's Secret Baby
  • A Bride for Kolovsky (House of Kolovsky #5)
Julia lives in England with her family. Mills and Boon novels were Julia's first "grown up" books she read as a teenager ("Alongside Georgette Heyer and Daphne du Maurier."), and she's been reading them ever since.

Julia adores the English countryside ("And the Celtic countryside!"), in all its seasons, and is fascinated by all things historical, from castles to cottages. She also has a special lov