Start by marking “Operation Beautiful: Transforming the Way You See Yourself One Post-it Note at aTime” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
An empowering book with photos, notes, and true stories about an underground campaign to recognize the true beauty within every woman.

Tired of watching women pick themselves apart in front of the mirror, blogger Caitlin Boyle scribbled a note on a Post-it: "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!" and slapped it on the mirror of a public bathroom. With one small act, she kick-started a move
Published August 3rd 2010 by Avery (first published July 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Operation Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Beautiful

Daenel
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have five children and I half~jokingly describe them as “self~confident to a friggin’ fault”. Seriously, I have never met kids who are more self~assured than these guys. And I honestly have no clue where they get it from but I’m glad they have it. I mean, I’m thirty~seven years old and I don’t have that level of self~confidence. I suspect many women feel that way…

Tired of watching women pick themselves apart and reeling from the destructive nature of what she calls “Fat Talk”. Fat Talk is the
Chezzie
Jun 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: culture, beauty
At the time, I loved this book. Now my opinions of the forceful, "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!! <3" movement is changing.

The reason for Operation Beautiful is the emphasization of beauty in our fucked up society. Telling everyone they're beautiful only confirms that, "YES, EVERYONE HAS TO BE BEAUTIFUL. But don't worry, you are too!"

Everyone cannot meet societal beauty standards. I mean, they change every 43 seconds. We're all different. It's true. Instead of trying to lump us all together we should r
Katrin
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book at an Operation Beautiful seminar held at my college. They were giving them away. I used all the sticky notes to put up in the bathrooms. However I glanced at the book and nothing further. I really read it now, and it helps me with the recovery process of the eating disorder. Highly recommend!
Mindy
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I saw the title of this new book, I knew I had to read it. We hear a lot about building up our girls' self-esteem as they are bombarded with "skinny advertising" and judgment from a young age. I also have a son who, at 10, already feels he's fat because of his body type. And when a book advocates using Post-It Notes, I figured it has to be good, right?!? (Yes, I am a recovering office-product-a-holic. Staples is one of my favorite stores. But I digress.)

Starting with posting one scrap of pa
I've heard about Operation Beautiful on TV and had investigated the website. I was excited to see that a book was coming out just because I like the idea behind the book: women need to be reminded that they are beautiful. I found the book cheap online.

First off, if you're looking for some amazing new breakthrough, this book isn't it. It's actually full of very old advice; advice, I think, we've forgotten. Advice like "you are more than what you appear in the mirror," and "your value can't be mea
Jena
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is so filled with positivity and inspiration, I wish it was required reading for every female ages 10-35. Although it can feel a bit cliche every now and then, the messages of hope and self-acceptance are invaluable for today's women. In an era filled with shallow, self-absorbed, materialistic pop culture phenomena, the messages in Operation Beautiful are refreshing and uplifting. A few of the stories are eye-openers; as you read, you realize what is truly important in life, (if you di ...more
Jess
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Caitlin is one of my favorite bloggers, so I was excited to finally pick this book up. The idea behind Operation Beautiful is that it's like PostSecret in reverse; instead of sharing a secret, you share an inspirational message on a Post-It note, and put it in public for someone to find.

This book is a compilation of some of those notes, many stories (including some of Caitlin's own), and tips and suggestions for living a healthier, Fat Talk-free life.
Nicole
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Love, love, love the concept and it's something I want to participate in: spreading positive thoughts and quotes throughout the world to remind people they are beautiful and amazing and everything they need to be just the way they are.

My contribution: Beauty is not a number on the scale, a dress size, a hair color, or a clothing brand. It does not come from a gym, a nutrition label, a store, or a salon. It is YOU being YOU, and you'll only find it inside yourself.

Vanessa
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This could easily be a 5 for a teenage girl dealing with eating disorder issues, in need of community love. I bought it because Borders is closing and it was cheap-o. It's not what I thought- a book on writing health-related affirmations. It's a nice book on positive thought, supporting others and what-goes-around-comes-around.
Maya
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book after hearing about this "movement." It's more filled with photos of the notes left for others and how people have been moved by the notes. There were some good openings to each section from everything from eating disorders to depression. I think it's a good coffee table type of book for anyone who deals with girls/women for a little uplifting quick view.
Erin
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I planned an event at which Caitlin was a guest speaker. I adore her! The book is inspirational and the premise of Operation Beautiful is uplifting. The idea is to leave behind a post-it note with motivational/kind words on a bathroom stall, airplane tray table, etc. A random act of kindness can be a nice reminder that we all really are "beautiful".
Janet
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading this book was a horrifying glimpse at the impact the “beauty myth” is having on so many women’s lives. The majority of these women are in their late teens or early twenties, and many of them describe battles with eating disorders, self-mutilation, unsupportive families, addiction to exercise, etc. I know I’m beautiful, and I plan to buy a pad of Post-Its and tell others the same.
Kari
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
In a time when it comes almost second nature to berate ourselves or others and focus on our imperfections or those of others, this book reminds us to look for the good in others and especially ourselves. It is a book for adults and teenagers alike. After, or even while, reading you will find yourself going to buy some post-it notes:)
Nicki Conroy
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book just came, via FedEx, yesterday so I am just cracking it open as I watch Caitlin on The Today Show this morning.

Updating to say that all parents should read this book. There is so much that can be used in manners other than just "fat" talk which is a lot of the book. Read how I applied it to my life at http://nickisnook.net/2010/08/16/oper...
Tina Peterson
Interesting book. It would be a good read on a rainy day or when you need a feel good story (kind of like the chicken soup books). Lots of great tips and suggestions to fit different life categories. I think it would be a good book to read with your kids and then to do an activity with your kids to encourage and lift up other people.
Satia
A cute idea that earn the blogger an invitation to publish a book. The notes are more interesting than anything else. The website is still inspired and inspiring. For more:

Chantelle
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From my amazing friend @PrincessJenn. <3

This was an amazing book - maybe too touchy-feely for some, but exactly what I needed: many sniffly moments where I needed to reach for the Kleenex. Great book for anyone doubting their own beauty.
Jessica Marshall
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, on-the-ipad
This was a very inspiring book. I will forever carry a post-it pad and pen in my purse. What could make a woman feel more beautiful than seeing the beauty all around her then noticing it in her self as well? An easy read that really gives you the feel good tingles.
Mackenzie
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great resource for adults (not just women) struggling with body image, and other stuff. This book as well as the other can simply remind one they are not alone, and also give encouragement when things suck.
Ginny
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I have been in love with operationbeautiful.com ever since I first heard about. I was so excited to find this book in my library this week. Two other great websites: kindovermatter.com and iloveyoucards.org
Kenaia Neumann
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a a marvelous collection of inspirational and true bits of self-esteem. I highly suggest anyone struggling even mildly with any self-image issues read this book- it's very sweet and genuinely moving.
Michelle Couey
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
starting the group today here at school after reading the inspiration tragic book of personal stories of women going through self help tactics and an undergraound community that embraces your beauty however you define it!
Chiara Rose
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book really made me respect my body so much more and make me comfortable with myself. It is so great to see so many other girls who want to help each other and not hurt each other with judgements! :)
Stacy
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will definetly read this book to my future children. It has an amazing message that changed my outlook on life and improved my self-esteem. I recommend this book for everyone to read no matter what their age or gender!
Carol
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A phenomenal idea. I do think if a person has an eating disorder, this book should be a supplement to professional treatment. This book is positive and I love the idea of helping others as well as yourself.
Tina
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book found me at a time when I needed some positive self talk and encouragement, I would recommend it to anyone who would like ideas on how to build up their self esteem or that of a loved one.
Diane
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
It really is a long promotion for the website. However, I found some of the girls' stories inspiring.
Nicole Johnston
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-and-yoga
Really a great book, one that every woman needs to read to be reminded we are all beautiful just was we are!
Lesley
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Inspiring!
Gabrielle Carolina
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bir13
I love this book! I want to own copies to give out to all the women in my life. Important, powerful and unexpected.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hip Tranquil Chick: A Guide to Life On and Off the Yoga Mat
  • Carrots 'N' Cake: Healthy Living One Carrot and Cupcake at a Time
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Run Your Butt Off!: A Breakthrough Plan to Shed Pounds and Start Running (No Experience Necessary!)
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • The Hite Report
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • Room to Grow: An Appetite for Life
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Yoga Body Diet
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
  • What Does Everybody Else Know That I Don't?: Social Skills Help for Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
  • DSM-IV Made Easy: The Clinician's Guide to Diagnosis
  • What the Yuck?: The Freaky and Fabulous Truth About Your Body
  • My Blue Is Happy
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • When Perfect Isn't Good Enough: Strategies for Coping with Perfectionism