Start by marking “Chocolate Roses” as Want to Read:

Chocolate Roses

She’s in love . . .
he’s out of reach . . .
Is there any hope?

Janie Rose Whitaker’s world revolved around her chocolate shop until Roger Wentworth and his young daughter moved into the apartment across from Janie’s. Anyone would think Roger fit the mold of the “perfect” guy, but soon Janie discovers secrets that could keep them apart forever. Though she resists getting invol
Published September 22nd 2010 by Walnut Springs Press (first published March 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate Roses

jgyweniverel
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves chocolate, dogs, honest, bravery, drama, love, and a good book.
Recommended to jgyweniverel by: Saw in catalog and it peaked my interest.
I loved reading this book. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classics so I was a bit taken aback that someone would try (and succeed!) in making a modern day version of the tale.

Janie is brutally honest about herself, it makes me wish that I could be like that, unfortunately we live in the real world, and everyone does love chocolate.

I liked how Emily and Flo became best of buds. Instead of just mentioning casually that Janie owned a dog, Flo was made into a main character in herself, and if you c
Mara
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Chocolate Roses is a cute, light LDS (mormon) romance. This modern re-telling of Jane Eyre is creative, sweet and tastefully done.

One thing I would have like to see was more of a friendship develop between Janie and Roger. For most of the book, I felt that their relationship was very one-sided and based purely on how georgeous Roger looked as he remained oblivious to Janie and her many charms.

I am excited to see what this author will do next and will pass this one around to all my book friends
Malina
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Having never read Jane Eyre or an lds book before, I had low expectations for this book, but was pleasantly surprised. It held my interest.
Leah
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I LOVED this book, I thought it was hilarious and very tender...loved it, loved it, loved it.
Heidi Pack
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was worried it would be a terribly predictable parody, with the un-original character names, but it was sweet and interesting.
Charlene
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: jane-eyre, ebook
Janie Whitaker is in looovveee. With a man she sees for a few minutes every week, when he comes in to buy some chocolate to be delivered to a mysterious person at a mental institution. He barely acknowledges her, barely knows that she is there, yet she has an instant infatuation with him because he’s extremely handsome and has very sad eyes. Not really the stuff of inspiring romance - I could have used a little more character development with Roger Wentworth. He is a good man of course, but sinc ...more
Tristi
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
When I first learned that Joan Sowards had written an LDS romance novel based on the novel "Jane Eyre," I was immediately intrigued. I remember reading "Jane Eyre" when I was seventeen and had my wisdom teeth out. Swooning over the dark and brooding Mr. Rochester was the only thing that made my recovery bearable. And Timothy Dalton did a very good job in the movie, much better than Orson Welles did, and ... well, this review isn't about Timothy Dalton, so we'll save him for another day.

"Chocolat
Betsy Love
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night, late, really late. While the book is a parody of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, it does not have the dark, foreboding style of Bronte's novel.

Set in Mesa, Arizona the story revolves around...you guessed it...chocolate roses. The mysterious Roger Wentworth comes into Janie's chocolate shop and orders a chocolate rose to be sent to a gated mansion on Val Vista, and he always takes with him a whimsical chocolate piece, the first for his insane wife, Winnie and the
Marsha Ward
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Although the subtitle of Chocolate Roses by Joan Sowards is A Jane Eyre Parody, I didn't find the satiric aspects in the work that the word parody brings to my mind. I found Joan's novel to be much lighter than the original by Charlotte Bronte, but I would have called it a contemporary re-setting, or, given Joan's credentials as a consummate musician, an arrangement of Jane Eyre.

Extracting a simpler plot from Jane Eyre for her novel was a good trick, and Joan pulled it off. She peopled the work
Darla
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
(Genre:LDS Fiction/Romance) 2 stars. Meh. I was rather lukewarm about this one. This book is listed as a "LDS Jane Eyre Parody" and it was okay. Not "bad", but not really good either.
Jane and her sister Kylee are orphans that were raised by their eccentric Aunt Lucy. Upon reaching adulthood, the sisters open up their own chocolate shop. Kylee (the older sister) is married with 3 children while Janie is 27 and single. The highlight of Janie's week is Tuesday-that's when HE comes in the shop. Rog
Joyce
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I'd give this book 4.75 stars, if Goodreads would let me!

Chocolate Roses, by Joan Sowards, bills itself as “A Jane Eyre Parody” for LDS readers. Now, I have read Jane Eyre, and have even watched an adaptation on PBS, but both have been a very long time ago. So I’ll be honest…I had to look up a summary on Wikipedia.com to remind myself how the story went. Chocolate Roses can be enjoyed in its own right, but having at least a glancing familiarity with Jane Eyre will heighten your enjoyment even mo
Margaret Larsen Turley
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Joan Sowards has been a friend to me for nearly twenty five years. Our relationship started with my asking help to notate some music on a computer program. She gave her time to me selflessly and was generous with her advice and skills in guiding me when I needed it. When my cousin Kerry Blair introduced me to ANWA in 1998 it was a warm surprise that our mutual friend Joan Sowards was part of the Daytimer’s Chapter.

Joan’s new Book Chocolate Roses not only sounds good enough to melt in your mouth,
Taffy
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Good, clean LDS romance with intrigue, humor and chocolate.

Janie and her sister own and run a high end chocolate store. Every Tuesday, a very handsome and mysterious man enters the shop and orders a chocolate rose to be delivered. Janie has a crush (obsession) on the man. Events take an interesting turn when he and his daughter moves in next door to Janie. Add the mystery of who the rose goes to, quirky characters and a crime and you have the mixture of a good story.
The only problem I had was in
Katie W
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I remember reading Jane Eyre for the first time in high school and absolutely falling in love with the story and characters. I also fell in love with Pride and Prejudice and have read many parodies of that story, but never one based off of Jane Eyre. When I saw this one, I knew I had to read it, although sometimes the retellings don't live up to the classic.

I was very pleasantly surprised! Janie and her sister, Kylee, were orphaned and raised by an aunt. After graduating from college, they took
Sheila
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
The main character Janie is likable from the start. She is 27 years old and still single. In the LDS world, that is not necessarily a fun thing to be. I can say this, because at 27 I was still single. I could relate to everything she was lamenting about. The thing I loved about Janie, is the way that she tries so hard to include humor into her outlook on life. Her best friend is her dog "Flo", her great Dane. I haven't read a book in a long time, where a pet had so much personality! Flo is her b ...more
Lynn
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Many authors are currently rewriting Jane Austin's works with a modern twist. Most of those are thinly-disguised updates that are poor imitations of the original. "Chocolate Roses", however is fresh and original. Janie Rose Whitaker is a complex and interesting character, a mix of independence and self-doubt.

Joan Sowardsmanages to infuse this story with tragedy, comedy, and romance. Not only will LDS readers find a clean, compelling, and fun read, but this story can be enjoyed by readers of all
LuAnn
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Someone in marketing obviously didn't know the definition of Parody when they added the subtitle "A Jane Eyre Parody" to this absolutely delightful novel. A parody is also called send-up, spoof or lampoon, in contemporary usage, is a work created to mock, comment on, or make fun at an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation. In no way did this book do any of those things. It did, however, provide a well-told story that pa ...more
Kristyn
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book labeled as a Jane Eyre parody and an LDS Romance, made me wonder how it was going to work to have and LDS woman in love with a married man. It worked well! This book shows that friendship is the most important thing, and what all relationships should be based on. Her writing style was a little different. It was like having someone sit down with you and tell you their story out loud. I really liked it, and yes, it does make you want to eat chocolate. A cute romance novel and chocolate i ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Janie and her sister own and run a high end chocolate store.E very Tuesday a handsome mysterious man comes in and orders a chocolate rose to be delivered. Janie has a crush on the man. When he and his daughter move in next to Janie events take an interesting turn. Once you add the mystery of who the rose goes goes to, a crime, and some quirky characters. And this is a wonderful story. I f you love chocolate, intrigue and romance you,ll love this book. Looking forward to reading more books by Jea ...more
Sarah Beggs
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Chocolate Roses by Joan Sowards! In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I wished I had time to read it straight through. Sowards' humor throughout the read and description of the various locations in this book were right on. I could easily envision the mystery, love, and heartache of love and love lost which she shares to build to a surprising and fulfilling climax. I wish the chocolate shop she writes about existed, I would surely be a fan of it as well!
Shauna
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW! This book was GOOD!
Janie is a chocolatier and she has a favorite customer!
He comes to the store every Tuesday at 9:00am and orders a chocolate rose...
Then the story takes a swirling, chocolaty spin...
9:00am Tuesday morning customer
turns into the new neighbor
turns into friend
turns into "off limits"
turns into...
I won't give it away...you MUST READ!
Sweet, clean romance with rich morsels of humor.
It will leave you savoring in it's delectable, deliciousness :)
Alyson
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I'd seen in reviews on goodreads that many prefered the author's first book so I was prepared to be disappointed. I've found in life that if I have low expectations of books or movies that I often end up enjoying them.

I enjoyed this book more for the writing style and humor of the main character, Janie, than for the romance. I chuckled to myself many times. It was very clever.

Tamera Westhoff
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked it, but I was very scared to read it. I remember the plot of Jane Eyre and wasn't sure how that would translate happily to an LDS novel. I am very glad that I am married, because if I was "older" and single and attracted to a married man, YIKES! I was sorry to see the wife die, and how much Janie was so depressed when she couldn't have "her" man. I think this was very well-written, I just don't like the whole coveting after someone else's husband (or wife), no matter what.
Christina Tarbet
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Seriously! That is how it ends?!? I wanted so much more and I totally let down when I got to the last page. . .but I'm thinking the story I read wasn't complete. The story was good. Fun and enjoyable. I haven't read Jane Eyre in a REALLY REALLY long time so I didn't have anything to compare it to. Good characters. Chocolate-YUM!!! It was a quick read.
Erin
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it...except for the ending. It was so predictable (even with it being a Jame Eyre parody) that I cringed when I stuttered through the ending. I enjoyed all of the characters and appreciated the LDS theme and how the author often "spoke" to the reader. Overall it was a sappy, clean romance novel that caught my interest and held it until the end.
Tiana Naisbitt
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Heather
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
I am not a big chocolate lover (I would rather eat potato chips), I absolutely hate dogs that slober in massive quantities, and I have never read Jane Eyre. However, I found this book to be quite cute. I loved the chapter quotes from Jane Eyre at the beginning of each chapter - maybe that should be my next book to read!
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: LDS people who are obsessed with Jane Eyre...
I don't really like LDS fiction...
And I don't really like Jane Eyre...
So, no surprise that I didn't really like this modern day LDS Jane Eyre parody. In fact, I never would have picked this up to read on my own. (I read it for book club.) But, it was a quick read...and definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. So that's saying something!
Annalisa
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining modern day LDS parody of Jane Eyre. While I don't remember reading Jane Eyre it has now inspired me to do so with each of the quotations listed in the chapter headings. Be prepared to crave chocolate as you follow chocolatier Janie Whitaker and her interesting relationship with the handsome and mysterious Roger Wentworth.
Valerie
Nov 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cross My Heart
  • Winning Mr. Wrong
  • Garden Plot
  • Band of Sisters  (Band Of Sisters, #1)
  • Of Grace and Chocolate
  • Meg's Melody
  • Luck of the Draw
  • A Heart to Mend
  • Secret Sisters (Secret Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Awakening Avery
  • Star Struck
  • Table for Two
  • The Bishop's Bride
  • Rearview Mirror
  • Montana Summer
  • This Just in
  • Counting Stars
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)