Start by marking “US: Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships that” as Want to Read:
US: Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships that

US: Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships that

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

"The key to real and lasting change lies somewhere between what you know and what you do. It’s what you think." —Lisa Oz

Being social creatures, we yearn for connection but often fall into bad habits that interfere with our ability to have rewarding relationships. We begin to see ourselves as alone, isolated, or at odds with the rest of the universe. How can we learn to liv
Published April 6th 2010 by Free Press (first published March 25th 2010)

Luisa
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by someone I LOVE and adore, and although I'm not normally into self help books like these [especially non-LDS ones:], I thought I might give it a go. I liked Lisa, and I liked her style of writing, but it seemed she developed all of her theories from Buddha, Yoga and Deep Meditation, the Koran and monks and ancient priests that had no significance to me. 'Ego transcendence' was the main topic of the book... I couldn't get out of my mind the quote from Boyd K. Pac ...more
Ellen Pilch
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a couple years ago. I had gotten it from the library, but I enjoyed it so much that I bought my own copy. I found Lisa Oz to be a normal person just like the rest of us, despite being married to the great "Dr. Oz". I loved her advice,for example, she was always mad at her husband for being late for dinner until she realized that would never change and adjusted her own behavior accordingly. That made a lot of sense to me, the only one we can change is ourselves and our attitude. ...more
Charliehu
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishing insight and refreshing honesty lend Lisa's book the flavor of a really great conversation you have with a friend sharing her life experiences. Almost more than the content, I loved the sense that we are witnessing someone grow and mildly say, "I hope this helps you too." The best kind of shared wisdom is open, unpretentious and generous. This is such a gift. Read it with your love, as I did, and see how good it can be.
Dixie LoCicero
There were parts of the book I really liked, like how we need to understand ourselves before we can understand others or have relationships be successful. I liked some of the activities she gave at the end of each chapter. Some of her views about men & women being the "perfect union" make me wonder how she'd feel about same-sex relationships.
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Oz is an intelligent, hip chick, no doubt. But this book is kind of all over the place and doesn't really say anything new. The only thing I learned is about the enneagram and that there is a Swedenborgian religion. Not a book I would recommend.
Samantha
While I loved the personal stories and action points in this book, overall, I didn't feel incredibly inspired. I think I'd actually prefer to have read an autobiography of this incredibly hard working woman! Nevertheless, it was a quick read, and enjoyable.
Stephanie Gagliardi
Not your typical self help book. Very easy to read, and found it to be very helpful. There are daily exercises at the end of each section that reinforce some of the lessons Lisa provides.
Jessica
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm one chapter into this book and LOVING it. IT's gonna be huge.
Debra Oehlberg
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Burd
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What a pretentious, whiny, badly written piece of crap this was. I listened to the book on tape narrated by her perfect little self and alternately laughed and puked throughout the 6 discs...Alright I only made it through 5 of the six. But I couldn't take it any more. The book should come with a barf bag. She mostly complains about how she is constantly on a diet and her tough life being married to Dr. Oz who doesn't spend nearly enough time with her. Did you know his show was all her idea? She' ...more
Kristen
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diy-interest
This was a quick read and I liked how it was broken up into topics of interest. I didn't feel like there was anything new as far as advice that has already been given by millions of self help authors...take time to pamper yourself, exercise, eat right, treat others the way you would like to be treated etc... I did like her personal stories about her own struggles and how she applied the principles to her own life.
Dani
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There seems to be a consensus here that this book didn't have a lot of substance to it. Maybe I just haven't read enough relationship advice type books, but I really enjoyed this one. The author offers a fresh perspective and opens up about her own insecurities. I appreciated her honesty and gained a lot from reading this.
Marianjudith
May 06, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marianjudith by: dr.oz
I do recommend this book to married women with families. Lisa makes wonderful spirital family connections. She puts husband and children relationships into perspective in an intelligent and humorous way.
Shannon
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Kind of interesting, self help sort of book. Very generalized look at life. If you like Dr. Oz you might appreciate a little peek into his world via his wife. Nothing new here, nothing ground breaking but a good read.
Jessica
Basically an ok book on how to be a better, more aware person. Lisa Oz ads a few unique ideas to much written about topics. I enjoyed her personal anecdotes most of all.
Andrea Ible
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa's ability to write about self improvement with humor, honesty and openness was a brilliant read.
Carol Miller
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Spoke to me personally.
Gina
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
nothing yet!
Laurie
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tips for having successful relationships.
Lori
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It sane what I expected from the reviews of the book . Fast read for the information and book was a slow read, didn't keep my attention .
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self-help books are never my thing, but the condescending sexism prevented me from getting past page 45 of this one.
Delona
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars, not because she is an amazing author but because I liked her so much and wish she, as well as Jenny McCarthy, was my neighbor. Nice compilation of life lessons.
Connie
Jan 08, 2015
Christy
Dec 08, 2013
Kathy Hutson
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lisa Oz 1 4 Apr 28, 2010 02:49PM
  • The Wisdom of James Allen: Five Books in One: As a Man Thinketh: The Path to Prosperity: The Mastery of Destiny: The Way of Peace: Entering the Kingdom
  • 10 Mindful Minutes: Giving Our Children--and Ourselves--the Social and Emotional Skills to Reduce Stress and Anxiety for Healthier, Happy Lives
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • The Puppy Whisperer: A Compassionate, Non Violent Guide to Early Training and Care
  • Yeah Dave's Guide to Livin' the Moment: Getting to Ecstasy Through Wine, Chocolate and Your iPod Playlist
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • The EFT Manual
  • The Mediterranean Diet
  • To the Castle and Back: Reflections on My Strange Life as a Fairy-Tale Hero
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • The Healthy Home: Simple Truths to Protect Your Family from Hidden Household Dangers
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them
  • Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life