Start by marking “Prisoner of the Raven” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of the Raven

Prisoner of the Raven

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  277 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Fleeing from troubles at home, young Aleyn signs on to the crew of a merchant ship off the coast of Eire, but he has no idea what dangers await him. Viking raiders patrol the shores like hungry wolves, and when Aleyn's ship is attacked, he finds himself the prisoner of Ranulf Eriksen, a Viking jarl who commands the longship Lymskyr. Aleyn expects to be killed or sold, but ...more
ebook
Published October 2008 by Bonecamp Books (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of the Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of the Raven

Sala Bim
There were some things here that just made it impossible for me to like this. It started out ok, but ugh. Thankfully it was short so I didn't have to suffer long...I was going to stop here but I just have to say this one thing. This is a POSSIBLE SPOILER: I just have to mention that I can't understand what makes authors think that readers want to watch lovers have sex with other people, LET ALONE in front of each other, LET ALONE with a person of the opposite sex of the lover who's watching! Oth ...more
Jason Bradley
First, I want to say that vikings are a major fetish for me. I loooove them. I love to fantasize about them, I love to research their history, I love their mythology. I love everything!!

But above that, Kirby Crow did the entire Norse/Dane viking warrior thing right! More please? More big grumpy powerful men who know what they want and how to take it. rawr!!!
Dreamer
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable little Viking m/m Slave romp from Kirby Crow..
"Men do not kiss!" he managed to exclaim. Ranulf laughed and slid down a little, so that his chin was even with Aleyn's breastbone. He licked Aleyn's nipple and nipped it with his teeth. "I suppose they do not do this, either?"
Serena Yates
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
I really liked this story about an "Irelander" who is taken prisoner by a raiding Viking jarl.

Aleyn battles his attraction to Ranulf with everything he has - hiding behind the fact that he's been taken against his will. Strangely enough the much stronger man doesn't force him to do anything he doesn't want - other than accepting the pleasure he gives him.

Another interesting aspect of this story is how the two different value systems of the fiercely independent Irish prisoner and the "survival of
Trix
It shows this is an early work of the author. I only read "Scarlet and the White Wolf" series but it seemed much better than this.

(view spoiler)
Elizabeth Reuter
Truth? I'm not a romance novel fan, and this book did nothing to change that. The characters were your average romance novel characters, who acted in idealized ways.

(Prisoner: You have enslaved me, but oh well. You cannot dim my fiesty nature!
Jailer: You're so cute when you're fiesty. I've spent my life raping, murdering, and pillaging, but will now throw away all my values for your fiestyness and hug puppies. Also? Sex. Just saying.
Prisoner: Goodie!)

However, I wasn't reading this for the plot.
Lada
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
A quick, tame slavery story. Very minimal internal conflict, maybe because the captor was pretty nice for a Viking raider. I skimmed all the sex scenes, so the brief MF sex here wasn't really a problem for me.
Eriserato
It wasn't horrible and the writing was okay. I just didn't like Ranulf's angry-awkward reaction to Aleyn's rejection at Arklow. The scene was kinda pointless and not what I signed up for in an m/m book. Also, Aleyn's sudden turn around of his feelings for Ranulf was just that...really sudden. And it felt more like the author was trying to convince the reader that Ranulf was simply doing what was normal for him by taking Aleyn and making him his bedwarmer. I'd rather Aelyn just said plainly that ...more
Delena666
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's more 4.5 for me or 4.6 so I gave it 5 stars instead of 4. I liked it very much, although even after some time after reading it I still can't voice what was it that made me want to rate it 4.5 instead of 5 (if only I could). I liked the characters, I liked the writing style and I especially liked the difference in the mindsets of the main characters - it was really interesting.

As I think about it, I usually don't like short stories (or is it novella?), but this one felt much more satisfying
Seregil
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slavefic, mm
It's the second time I've read this and I still like it quite a lot. It felt shorter than I remembered ( or maybe I just wanted it to be longer?), but even though several years have passed in which I went through quite a lot of MM I still like it. There are a few reasons:
1 - it has Vikings in it. Viking MM stories seem to be scarce (at least good ones)
2 - it is a sort of stockholm syndrome slavefic (a genre I'm fond of) and the captor manages to actually be kind of a good guy (too good even, to
Mirany
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
Terra Noah
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, book-bingo-2012
4.5

I was excited to read this because of the vikings and because they were Danes. I enjoyed this book and the writing was good. I liked how different the characters were and the whole setting on the ship felt realistic. The one thing I didn't like was the very rare modern terms used during sex (hiding it behind "spoiler" to keep things PG in the review. Words like (view spoiler). It wasn't used back then. It would have been fine, if the
Gwengwel
I don't know what to think of this book.
I didn't hate it but it's not something that I'm going to want to read again. The book's not on a professional level. The other reviews left me believing a better story, especially with the subject addressed. After reading the book, I felt that they were complacent on their voting (maybe they follow the writer since a long time). Or maybe it's because I really didn't connect.
I didn't like the personage, they didn't feel real and no viking's ever going to
Rhianon
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mostly light-hearted story of a romantic progression from enemies to lovers, with a bit of bloodshed and bondage along the way. So much about the socio-cultural history of the Vikings, the Danes, the inhabitants of northern Europe and "Irland" from that period has been lost to the ravages of time, of invasions and destruction. Crow does a commendable job of constructing a highly plausible "what might have been" scenario, and though it might not stay entirely within the bounds of historical rea ...more
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
A really good novella with short but hot sex scenes and a fast moving plot. Despite being short, the characters were well developed. However, I'm only giving 4 stars because I felt that the story could have easily been expanded on and turned into a full length novel, allowing more time for a relationship to build up between the two main characters and to see the tension with the crew gradually build up as well. Over all though, a really great story.
M.E.
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this little story. It was VERY short. So short in fact, that it does NOT warrant the price of the book. It cost me almost $7 for 75 pages to read. Tsk tsk.

But that being said, it's my own fault. Should have paid attention. Furthermore, I liked it. It was fun, and I enjoyed the quick pace.
Oriolidae M.

A quick little story, nothing more. It was rushed, superficial and emotionally unconvincing, but I didn't hate it. If you have a Viking-fetish, this might be for you.
Danielle
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, captive, 2014
This had the makings of a good book, interesting characters, a viking plot, but it fell short in the execution for me. I think the biggest problem I had was that the MCs had no reason to fall in love with each other. So maybe they were both super shallow but nothing you can do about that I guess.
Vanessa
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this 3 stars, since I prefer action, long books and better plots, but the story and the characters were good and since it's all about personal taste I try to be fair and leave it as 4 stars.
Da'ad
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO sweet and perfect. I loved Aleyn's character and determination, and most of all, his pride. A great hero. I didn't think I'd like the viking, Ranulf, but I did. A lot! I loved him. The ending was perfect, and I didn't expect that. Thank you, Kirby!
Nightcolors
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Amara
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good Sunday afternoon read.
Review to follow
Maya
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I want a Viking of my own!
Morticia Meows
I cannot.
Belinda Rule
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whee viking sex romp!
Rosemary O'Malley
A fun, fast read. I found that I was wanting something more at the end, a bit of soul missing in the mix, but it was still an entertaining story. It is definitely worth a look!
Soul
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-fantasy-scifi
Wish it was longer! :)
BTina
3.5 or something, I love historical stories and there were no blunders, just a happy viking romance with little plot.
Ashley S.
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sovereign's Gladiator
  • Earth and Sun, Cedar and Sage (Gideon and Jedediah, #2)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Mere Mortals
  • Dominion of the Eth (Wings #2)
  • Captain's Surrender
  • The Lion of Kent
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Sandstorm
  • The Nobleman and the Spy
  • Fall of a State
  • According To Hoyle
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • Black Wade: The Wild Side of Love
  • Reifu Rising
  • Dead to the World (Water Lovers of Sirilon #3)
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
Kirby Crow worked as an entertainment editor and ghostwriter for several years before happily giving it up to bake brownies, read yaoi, play video games, and write her own novels. Whenever she isn't slaying Orcs or flying a battleship for the glory of the Amarr Empire, she can be found in the kitchen, her vegetable garden, or at the keyboard, tapping away at her next book.

Kirby is a winner of the
More about Kirby Crow...