Start by marking “Louder, Lili” as Want to Read:
Louder, Lili

Louder, Lili

Lili is the quietest kid in class. She spends recess inside with Lois, the class's pet guinea pig, and allows Cassidy do her talking for her, even if it means never getting to have the best parts in games. Sometimes it's just easier letting Cassidy be in charge, but will Lili have the courage to speak up when it means keeping Lois from getting hurt? This warm, humorous sto ...more
Published September 20th 2007 by G. P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Louder, Lili, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louder, Lili

Amy
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
The title and the cover illustration made me choose this book. A softspoken girl, Lili's wishes often get ignored, as her teacher tells her, "Louder, Lili!" However, one day when the class substitute teacher spends too much time on her cell phone in the bathroom, Lili finds her voice when she defends the class pet---and makes a friend in the process! Definitely a good read!
Iroquois
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I wa totally shy as a kid and it took a looooong time for me to learn to speak louder. I think it would be a great book to read/share with any shy little girl, that's learning how to navigate their first years at school.
Kris
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lili is quiet and shy, largely goes unnoticed, and is taken advantage of. But she learns to speak up when it matters.
Jill
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
My five-year-old and four-year-old love this book. At night one of them takes it to their room to "read" and after they finish, they hand it to the other one for their turn to "read". I read it to them because they love it and it has a good message: speak up for what really moves you and don't let other people decide who your friends are.
Charlee Jackson
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this book was great. I liked when Cassidy almost poured glue into the guinea pig's water bottle but Lili said, "STOP!" and everybody around her, stopped. I also liked when the sub talked on her cell phone all the time.
Erin
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was one of my favorites. This book teaches children about friendship and speaking up when something isn't the right thing to do. This book also reminds me of my younger sister when she was little. She was so shy, until she found her place and voice, like
Lili.
Marcie
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Love how this book handles the quiet child. The illustrations are lovely and it does a nice job of covering a school story. I love choldenko's novels, so I'm glad to see her tackle a picture book.
Valerie
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, 2014
This one is a great book to use with younger students when talking about being a bystander versus speaking up for what's right.
Paige
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book takes a heroic stand against guinea pig abuse...okay, not so much.

but, cute
Kathy
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
If you have a child who doesn't speak up for themselves this might be a good book. Not one I would buy but a book to read once when checked out of the library.
Mamta Valderrama
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my daughter’s favorites! She asks me to put her hair in ponytails just like Cassidy and Rita B. This sweet children’s story teaches an important lesson about finding your voice, and sticking up for what you believe in. I love the subtle message that you don’t have to have the loudest voice in the room to be heard, and sometimes the person with the loudest voice is the one others stop listening to. Highly recommend for children, especially those that struggle to raise their hand, speak up, ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Lili is a shy child who is afraid to speak up for herself, even when another girl at school takes advantage of her. But when the class pet guinea pig is in trouble, Lili finds courage and her voice. Another classmate befriends Lili as a result.

Lili is a role model for shy children, and this book is a great way to start a discussion about coping with bullies, standing up for oneself, speaking up for what is right, and selecting supportive friends - important topics for quiet, timid ch
JESSICA
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
See this review and more at: http://idiosyncraticlibrary.com/

It's not often that I'd recommend a book where kids are encouraged to speak louder, but the truth is, sometimes our chatty, noisy, bubbly kids, head to school and go quiet. Like, submarine in hostile waters quiet. When my daughter started kindergarten last year, she was so afraid to speak up that she couldn't give her teacher the box of tissues she was supposed to bring from home. In an effort to foster independence and to respect privacy, the teacher didn't
Shanshad Whelan
Sep 12, 2009 rated it liked it
While I appreciate the message of speaking up when it is necessary and the struggle of a shy girl to do so, I really don't like how it's presented. Lili gets completely taken advantage of by another girl, yet no one else notices--not even the teacher. And then the substitute teacher not only engages in gross neglect by talking on her cell phone and going to the bathroom (what teacher anywhere would leave a class of little kids totally unobserved?!) is downright criminal. Cassidy--the bully who t ...more
Meredith Bush
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship, emotions
I thought this was a cute book about the importance for sticking up for oneself. In the book, Lili is a shy girl who never speaks up for what she wants. A girl Cassidy bosses her around a lot and makes her do things she doesn’t want to. One day Lili has had enough and forcefully tells Cassidy ‘No’. She finally sticks up for herself (and the class pet). I think this is could be a great book for students, especially quieter ones, to understand the importance of their voice and feelings. It can be ...more
Tiffany
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A WONDERFUL book for shy kids.

Lili is extremely quiet and shy. So quiet and shy, in fact, that people usually don't even realize she's there! But then a bully-type makes "friends" with her in class, and takes advantage of Lili. Finally, Lili just can't take it anymore and stands up for herself (and gets some respect, too!).

Seriously, this is a great book for shy kids. I read it with two very quiet and shy girls (one can't even look you in the eye) and they LOVED it, and totally saw
Salsabrarian
Lili is quiet and shy in class, uncomfortable when it's time to choose
partners and much preferring to read a book indoors during recess next to the class guinea pig. Her voice is so soft, "you couldn't hear it
even if you wanted to." One day an aggressive classmate named Cassidy chooses Lili as a partner and pretty much takes advantage of her for several days. Lili is unable to speak up until Cassidy begins to mess with the guinea pig. Then she finds the courage and accumulated outr
Dolly
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Lili doesn't like to speak up and she doesn't have any friends in her class. But then she gets stuck with a bully who takes credit for Lili's work, eats Lili's food and is mean to the class pet. Finally, Lili speaks up for herself (and for the poor guinea pig) and makes a friend. It's a nice tale that is good, especially for young girls in elementary school who may be reticent to stand out in the crowd and make their voice be heard.
The Brothers
Lili is a little girl who is very shy and has a hard time speaking up. Her only "friend" at school is the class pet - a guinea pig. One day Cassidy, a very loud obnoxious sort of girl, latches on to her and takes advantage of Lili reticence. But when Cassidy threatens the safety and health of the guinea pig, Lili finally finds her voice and a new friend (Rita B.) in the process.

Illustrations are cute. What can I say, I'm a sucker for books with guinea pigs in them.
Susan
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute story of a very shy girl finally who has to speak up to save the day. This book reminds me how often it's not until we need something that we overcome that which keeps us from getting what we need! It's that proverbial board between two skyscrapers, but your child is on the other side kind of picture book.
Tya
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I am a person who grew up constantly being told to "...be louder, Tya." I don't *get* louder! This, this volume that I'm speaking to you? This. Is. It. I love that Lili learned to be just loud enough for the right people to hear her.
Christine
Dec 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Lili is shy. Lili is quiet. Lili learns that sometimes you have to speak up to be heard. A good book for the timid children in your life or for teaching kids to stand up for themselves or others. Cute illustrations. My students rated it as follows: Loved it = 243, Liked it = 61, Didn't like = 40.
Matthew
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved the heroine in this story, a shy girl who finds her voice just when she needs it. I can't help but like Lili a lot. I can identify with being shy but she stood up when she had to and that is to be commended.
April
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: brc, picture_books
In this story a very shy and quiet girl, Lili, finds her voice when she needs it most. I liked this book because it has a great message without being overbearing or didactic and the illustrations by S.D. Schindler are wonderful.
Tanya W
My kids liked this more than I did, it was a good book... has a message... sometimes you just have to speak up even if you're shy (in this story, Lili should have spoken up sooner which is why I gave it 3 instead of 4 stars).

2010 Beehive Award Nominee (children's lit assoc of utah).
Tirzah
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-class
Great for: PreK-4th Grade

Teaches: Standing up for your friends, overcoming shyness, doing what is right
Dawn
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When a bully threatens to pick on the class's pet hamster, Lili finds her voice for the first time.
Cindy
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute little story. My 9 year old daughter really enjoyed reading it with me. The illustrations were a wonderful compliment to the storyline.
Rachael
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An especially good book to read with a shy child.
Kaylin
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the way that the author wrote the book about this girl who did not know how to speak up.
There’s a Lego in my bum which fits with the Lego in my chair and when I sit down to write, I hear the satisfying snap of the two pieces fitting together. I love words, dictionaries, thesauruses, sharp pencils, the smell of book ink and the delicious art of carving out sentences on clean white paper. I love to slip into another person’s skin and feel what it’s like to live another life. I love whe ...more