Start by marking “The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel

The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel

With bold imagery and an ear tuned to the music of Homer’s epic poem, Gareth Hinds reinterprets the ancient classic as it’s never been told before.

"Gareth Hinds brings THE ODYSSEY to life in a masterful blend of art and storytelling. Vivid and exciting, this graphic novel is a worthy new interpretation of Homer’s epic."
—Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson & the Olymp
Published October 12th 2010 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about The Odyssey, please sign up.

Start your review of The Odyssey: A Graphic Novel
Tatiana
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect medium for a lazy reader who will never read actual The Odyssey (aka me).

The only thing that left me scratching my head is this question: why is Odysseus considered a hero? He hasn't done ONE heroic, un-selfish thing in this whole saga. He was evidently a good fighter (and lover? hard to say, all women throw themselves at him for some reason), but all he ever did was either expect hospitality from various people or steal others' stuff when he wasn't offered that said hospitality.
Giselle
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great graphic novel to read! I can finally get some sense of what THE ODYSSEY is all about now. I enjoyed every bit of it. Even the sexist undertones where women are seductresses who keep men chained to an island, or trick them and turn them into swine.
My_Strange_Reading
Meh.
⭐️⭐️ for the story/text
⭐️⭐️⭐️ for the illustrations

I hate Odysseus. I don't really like this story, but I bought this graphic novel for my classroom to help my lower readers have a better visual aid for their reading. It does a good job of serving that purpose, but the re-write of the text was too simplified, and I just generally don't care for this story, so it wasn't going to be a high rating for me.
Lindsay C-T
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extry Extry, read all about it!! Die Hard Odyssey Purist Finds True Love In Graphic Adaptation!
Alex
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-indies
Odyssey is one of the most famous epics ever written. It's discussed, read, studied for more than 2000 years. As it's expected, it's transfered in other mediums more times than you can count. This one, in comic book form this time by Gareth Hinds, did the best it could. Art is nothing special, maybe even bad at faces and animals. But, it's always nice to see foreigners take a chance to recreate parts of Greek mythology and I sure hope Hinds enjoyed adapting and drawing the story.
James
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A warm up with a simplified retelling of this story before delving into the classic text which is soon on my reading list. Lots of details left out given the format, but the artwork is lovely and the mythology is well represented here.
Frances
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a solid and colorful graphic version of a very classic tale. My students love this version and I am thankful to be able to share this great story with the help of accompanying images. However, I am a little critical of the artwork at points. The art snob in me isn't completely in love but my teacher heart knows how valuable this version is to my classroom, especially for some of my most struggling readers. Thank you Gareth Hinds <3 ...more
BookCupid
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
A poem turned novel, turned graphic book.

Although I could've picked up the full novel, I tasted the plot thanks to this graphic and must say that the novel would have most likely put me to sleep. Odysseus is stranded after the Trojan war and must fight against the odds with the help of a few Gods. Meanwhile, his son is trying to find him. Both characters move along the story by constantly asking for help. It takes a couple of tries before the book becomes interesting.

My advice is hang in there!
Christina Pilkington
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want a beautifully illustrated, graphic novel retelling Homer’s Odyssey, read this!

I read this with my almost 11 year old twins, and we loved it. There were a few panels that had some partial nudity and some blood and gore, so be aware of that if you were going to show this to younger children. But for us, it really brought the poem to life and made the story memorable.

It’s been a while since I last read The Odyssey (probably about 15 years now!), but it seems to be a fairly accurate re
JG (Introverted Reader)
Gareth Hinds undertakes the task of adapting The Odyssey, the tale of Odysseus's long journey home after the Trojan War, into graphic novel format.

I wish this had been around when I was wading through The Odyssey in high school (and maybe college? I can't remember). I don't know what translation we read, but we needed a translation of it. I think most of us had only vague ideas about what was going on, and we probably only figured those out after the teacher spoon-fed them to us.

The Odyssey is p
C.G. Drews
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I always find mythology endlessly interesting and this is no exception! I liked this story a lot. It did take me a while to warm up. At the beginning I just wasn't really caring and all the Greek names confused me. BUT. Like I said, mythology is cool and I always learn better with pictures. I knew most of Odyssey's story vaguely, but now I feel like I have a better grasp on it. (Although I read the author's note and he said he took a lot of creative liberties, but whatever. It's all Greek to me. ...more
Kurt
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have never really been interested in reading graphic novels. They just seem like a bit of a cop out -- a lazy, unimaginative substitute to real reading. But when I saw this book at my small city library I suddenly had to re-evaluate my thinking.

I had attempted reading The Iliad a few years ago with high hopes of reading it and then The Odyssey shortly thereafter, but after a dozen or so pages of real difficulty I gave it up. But I really did want to learn and understand the story. So, a few ye
Petergiaquinta
Not poorly done, but a reductionist (and fairly vapid) approach to one of the world's greatest stories that downplays some of the more interesting aspects of the original epic...though perhaps it will work as a gateway drug for younger readers. I'm obviously not six years old anymore, but Hinds' fairly innocuous version here probably would not have moved me in the same way that the much shorter summary did that I read in some ancient textbook I received as a wee lad from good old Uncle Levy. It ...more
Jennifer DuBose
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gets 4 stars for the beautiful illustrations. However, the story is edited in such a way that I couldn't use it to teach hero's journey to my students. It's kind of just an illustrated summary of The Odyssey with very little dialogue. I would need to assign supplemental texts to be able to teach with this. I'll just teach Hero's Journey using Star Wars graphic novel.
Annie
I've never read the original version of The Odyssey, but I very much enjoyed this. Loved the watercolor. It's inspiring me to seek out some more graphic novels. Anyone have any suggestions?

Read this for my Journey Narratives class.
kaleigh
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
Pretty enjoyable graphic novel. Nothing spectacular, although I did really like the artwork in it.
Gina Baik
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is an AMAZING book! I'd totally recommend this book for anyone. Though I felt like it was easier for me to understand because I have read the novel before. Anyway, this book is about a man called Odysseus's journey to go back to his family and his son Telemachus trying to find him. Seriously, everybody should read it.:)
Maria
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the best time reading this graphic novel. I could not put it down! So much fun!
Nathaniel
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
My opinion of Gareth Hinds version of The Odyssey is mixed in the sense of entertainment, giving an immense bore to me but retaining my attention at the same time.
Odysseus is urged to pursue an habitual onslaught of challenges in order to get to his home, the Island of Ithaca in Greece, from the Island of Ogygia.
Odysseus, the king of Ithaca, husband of Penelope, and father of Telemachus, tends to lean on the beggar side of things. Granted, his current situation is quite desperate, however, he
Andrea Jordan
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to read The Odyssey and even though it didn't meet all of my expectations, I still ended up enjoying it.

The Odyssey was about King Odysseus travelling to several kingdoms, telling stories about his adventures while he tries to return home after being missing from his kingdom for almost 16 years.

Even though I enjoyed the story, I didn't like Odysseus as a character. Throughout the entire story Odysseus never changes, he keeps his opinions and does exactly what he says he'll d
Rebekah Gyger
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I should evaluate this as I would any other graphic novel, or if I should evaluate it as a new medium interpretation of the Odyssey. Despite its having come up in classes all through high school and college, I never actually read the Odyssey. It always seemed like an extremely long tale which was told in a style I didn't enjoy. And after reading this, I still feel the same way about the actual story.

Visually, Hinds' artwork is beautiful and he captures so much movement in each of
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ggn11noms
The art was gorgeous but I found myself really having to push myself to finish reading it. I could see this as being used successfully in teaching a course to teens about the Odyssey and also as a gift for big fans of the story, but I can't really see teens just picking this up.

(As a side note, in terms of forcing myself to finish it, I always get worked up over stories where the man gets to traipse around having adventures - including shacking up with various ladies - while the wife has to sit
Jane
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bought this for grandkids -- ages 8-18 -- and ended up reading it myself before sending it to them. Brought the Odyssey story home to me. I feel adapter/artist hit the high spots and even most of the more obscure points. These pictures will make my reading THE Odyssey more meaningful although I'm not a fan of the graphic novel genre in general. Explanation of each character wasn't always explained upon first appearance, but was for the most part given later on. Loved the watercolors; the book di ...more
Sesana
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
As far as the text goes, it's a pretty good adaptation of The Odyssey. Hinds hit all of the highlights, and some of the less well-remembered details. The writing is easily readable, but still feels like ancient Greece, which is a nice trick. It also looks like ancient Greece, at least to me. That said, the art is not of a uniform quality throughout. Mostly, it's very good, but there are some panels that just look rushed. It's possible that I just might not be a big fan of Hinds's style.
Allison Berryhill
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this on Jenny Paulsen's recommendation as an entry text for teaching Fitzgerald's translation. She suggested my ninth-graders read this first, then select a book (chapter) to read in the Fitzgerald. I'm excited about how accessible this graphic novel is, and yet how true to the original it adheres. I've asked my administrator for a classroom set. Wish me luck.
Donalyn
I love the Odyssey and have read every book variant I can find, as well as watching movie versions. Gareth Hinds proves his genius once again with this remarkable graphic novel version. A great introduction to the classic for young readers.
Benjamin Kailes
Very good book. Short, easy, fast read that tells the tale of Odysseus faster than the long, original version. The illustration were magnificent and wish they did this more often with famous tales, and if they have, I'd rather read those!
jaden
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: will byrnes
a great book that tells the story of Odysseus and how he survives the wrath of the greek gods. this book is easily one of my favorite greek mythology book besides the percy jackson series.
Matthew
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't really like this book because it is too far fetched for me to read and i don't like these type of books.
Odysseus got lost after the trojan war and had to go on a huge journey to find his way back to his main land.
I am not the biggest fan of the main character because he does not listen to anyone and does something only if it benefits himself and doesn't think about others. The main character does not really change throughout the entire story he stays the same ignorant person he was at t
Levi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a "great books" nerd and Latin teacher, I would much prefer people to experience Homer and the full text first. But, I really appreciated this interpretation, especially since I've read The Odyssey many times before.

The illustrations, translation, and faithfulness to the original all make this a great graphic novel. I'm not one to read many comics or graphic novels, but I'd highly recommend this. The illustrations have some fun little foreshadowings and elements that are very appropriate for
UCAS English 10 H...: August novel assignment 1 16 Sep 15, 2017 08:32PM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds 1 12 Oct 08, 2015 04:56PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds 2 20 Sep 28, 2015 09:54AM

• Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)
  • Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Le Secret D'anca
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • The Playground
  • Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • The Lake Michigan Mermaid: A Tale in Poems
  • The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs
  • The Epic of Gilgamesh
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • Flamer
Gareth Hinds is the creator of critically-acclaimed graphic novels based on literary classics, including Beowulf (which Publisher’s Weekly called a “mixed-media gem”), King Lear (which Booklist named one of the top 10 graphic novels for teens), The Merchant of Venice (which Kirkus called “the standard that all others will strive to meet” for Shakespeare adaptation), The Odyssey (which garnered fou ...more