Start by marking “The Odyssey” as Want to Read:
The Odyssey

The Odyssey

(Graphic Classics)

With bold imagery and an ear tuned to the music of Homer’s epic poem, Gareth Hinds reinterprets the ancient classic as it’s never been told before.

"Gareth Hinds brings THE ODYSSEY to life in a masterful blend of art and storytelling. Vivid and exciting, this graphic novel is a worthy new interpretation of Homer’s epic."
—Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson & the O
Published October 12th 2010 by Candlewick (first published January 1st 2010)

Giselle
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great graphic novel to read! I can finally get some sense of what THE ODYSSEY is all about now. I enjoyed every bit of it. Even the sexist undertones where women are seductresses who keep men chained to an island, or trick them and turn them into swine.
Lindsay C-T
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extry Extry, read all about it!! Die Hard Odyssey Purist Finds True Love In Graphic Adaptation!
BookCupid
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
A poem turned novel, turned graphic book.

Although I could've picked up the full novel, I tasted the plot thanks to this graphic and must say that the novel would have most likely put me to sleep. Odysseus is stranded after the Trojan war and must fight against the odds with the help of a few Gods. Meanwhile, his son is trying to find him. Both characters move along the story by constantly asking for help. It takes a couple of tries before the book becomes interesting.

My advice is hang in there!
Christina Pilkington
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you want a beautifully illustrated, graphic novel retelling Homer’s Odyssey, read this!

I read this with my almost 11 year old twins, and we loved it. There were a few panels that had some partial nudity and some blood and gore, so be aware of that if you were going to show this to younger children. But for us, it really brought the poem to life and made the story memorable.

It’s been a while since I last read The Odyssey (probably about 15 years now!), but it seems to be a fairly accurate re
Frances
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a solid and colorful graphic version of a very classic tale. My students love this version and I am thankful to be able to share this great story with the help of accompanying images. However, I am a little critical of the artwork at points. The art snob in me isn't completely in love but my teacher heart knows how valuable this version is to my classroom, especially for some of my most struggling readers. Thank you Gareth Hinds <3
Andrea Jordan
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to read The Odyssey and even though it didn't meet all of my expectations, I still ended up enjoying it.

The Odyssey was about King Odysseus travelling to several kingdoms, telling stories about his adventures while he tries to return home after being missing from his kingdom for almost 16 years.

Even though I enjoyed the story, I didn't like Odysseus as a character. Throughout the entire story Odysseus never changes, he keeps his opinions and does exactly what he says he'll d
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Gareth Hinds undertakes the task of adapting The Odyssey, the tale of Odysseus's long journey home after the Trojan War, into graphic novel format.

I wish this had been around when I was wading through The Odyssey in high school (and maybe college? I can't remember). I don't know what translation we read, but we needed a translation of it. I think most of us had only vague ideas about what was going on, and we probably only figured those out after the teacher spoon-fed them to us.

The Odyssey is p
C.G. Drews
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I always find mythology endlessly interesting and this is no exception! I liked this story a lot. It did take me a while to warm up. At the beginning I just wasn't really caring and all the Greek names confused me. BUT. Like I said, mythology is cool and I always learn better with pictures. I knew most of Odyssey's story vaguely, but now I feel like I have a better grasp on it. (Although I read the author's note and he said he took a lot of creative liberties, but whatever. It's all Greek to me. ...more
Kurt
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have never really been interested in reading graphic novels. They just seem like a bit of a cop out -- a lazy, unimaginative substitute to real reading. But when I saw this book at my small city library I suddenly had to re-evaluate my thinking.

I had attempted reading The Iliad a few years ago with high hopes of reading it and then The Odyssey shortly thereafter, but after a dozen or so pages of real difficulty I gave it up. But I really did want to learn and understand the story. So, a few ye
Annie
I've never read the original version of The Odyssey, but I very much enjoyed this. Loved the watercolor. It's inspiring me to seek out some more graphic novels. Anyone have any suggestions?

Read this for my Journey Narratives class.
kaleigh
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2017
Pretty enjoyable graphic novel. Nothing spectacular, although I did really like the artwork in it.
Gina Baik
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is an AMAZING book! I'd totally recommend this book for anyone. Though I felt like it was easier for me to understand because I have read the novel before. Anyway, this book is about a man called Odysseus's journey to go back to his family and his son Telemachus trying to find him. Seriously, everybody should read it.:)
Maria
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the best time reading this graphic novel. I could not put it down! So much fun!
Nathaniel
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
My opinion of Gareth Hinds version of The Odyssey is mixed in the sense of entertainment, giving an immense bore to me but retaining my attention at the same time.
Odysseus is urged to pursue an habitual onslaught of challenges in order to get to his home, the Island of Ithaca in Greece, from the Island of Ogygia.
Odysseus, the king of Ithaca, husband of Penelope, and father of Telemachus, tends to lean on the beggar side of things. Granted, his current situation is quite desperate, however, he
Jane
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bought this for grandkids -- ages 8-18 -- and ended up reading it myself before sending it to them. Brought the Odyssey story home to me. I feel adapter/artist hit the high spots and even most of the more obscure points. These pictures will make my reading THE Odyssey more meaningful although I'm not a fan of the graphic novel genre in general. Explanation of each character wasn't always explained upon first appearance, but was for the most part given later on. Loved the watercolors; the book di ...more
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ggn11noms
The art was gorgeous but I found myself really having to push myself to finish reading it. I could see this as being used successfully in teaching a course to teens about the Odyssey and also as a gift for big fans of the story, but I can't really see teens just picking this up.

(As a side note, in terms of forcing myself to finish it, I always get worked up over stories where the man gets to traipse around having adventures - including shacking up with various ladies - while the wife has to sit
Sesana
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
As far as the text goes, it's a pretty good adaptation of The Odyssey. Hinds hit all of the highlights, and some of the less well-remembered details. The writing is easily readable, but still feels like ancient Greece, which is a nice trick. It also looks like ancient Greece, at least to me. That said, the art is not of a uniform quality throughout. Mostly, it's very good, but there are some panels that just look rushed. It's possible that I just might not be a big fan of Hinds's style.
Allison Berryhill
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this on Jenny Paulsen's recommendation as an entry text for teaching Fitzgerald's translation. She suggested my ninth-graders read this first, then select a book (chapter) to read in the Fitzgerald. I'm excited about how accessible this graphic novel is, and yet how true to the original it adheres. I've asked my administrator for a classroom set. Wish me luck.
Benjamin Kailes
Very good book. Short, easy, fast read that tells the tale of Odysseus faster than the long, original version. The illustration were magnificent and wish they did this more often with famous tales, and if they have, I'd rather read those!
Rebekah Gyger
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I should evaluate this as I would any other graphic novel, or if I should evaluate it as a new medium interpretation of the Odyssey. Despite its having come up in classes all through high school and college, I never actually read the Odyssey. It always seemed like an extremely long tale which was told in a style I didn't enjoy. And after reading this, I still feel the same way about the actual story.

Visually, Hinds' artwork is beautiful and he captures so much movement in each of
Matthew
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't really like this book because it is too far fetched for me to read and i don't like these type of books.
Odysseus got lost after the trojan war and had to go on a huge journey to find his way back to his main land.
I am not the biggest fan of the main character because he does not listen to anyone and does something only if it benefits himself and doesn't think about others. The main character does not really change throughout the entire story he stays the same ignorant person he was at t
Levi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a "great books" nerd and Latin teacher, I would much prefer people to experience Homer and the full text first. But, I really appreciated this interpretation, especially since I've read The Odyssey many times before.

The illustrations, translation, and faithfulness to the original all make this a great graphic novel. I'm not one to read many comics or graphic novels, but I'd highly recommend this. The illustrations have some fun little foreshadowings and elements that are very appropriate for
Wyatt Hager
The Odyssey was a book that had me engaged in various moments, but there were times when I lost interest because of tedious points in the book.

The Odyssey was about a man named Odysseus who went fought in the Trojan War, but then was lost and couldn’t find his way home because Poseidon had cursed him.

I thought the protagonist Odysseus was a very controversial character. Back at Ithaca, the home of Odysseus, he was looked at as a legend, a fearsome man who provided hope. But during his years away
A B
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

I'd forgotten how confusing the Odyssey can be when not retold in a linear manner.

But I had not forgotten how awesome of a story it is.

This book is a good way to introduce older children to the wonders of mythology and heroes. Yes, it's a tale of violence but is tempered enough for younger audiences. It gets dry towards the end with the convoluted resolution of disposing of Penelope's suitors (seriously, she couldn't just tell them to leave?). I wish the author had spent more time on the fantast
Stephanie (aka WW)
Epic poems are not my thing. You can have your Aeneid, The Divine Comedy or the Metamorphosis. Or, the Iliad and the Odyssey. Having just read Madeline Miller’s Achilles and Circe, I felt a pull to know more about the trials and travels of Odysseus in Homer’s writings. When I saw this graphic novel, I had to have it. Good decision on my part, because the book is both descriptive and colorful (watercolor, my favorite). The style of drawing is appropriate for the older story and the writing is det ...more
Terri Bates
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, this book is very good. it has lots of detail and action. it keeps the reader entertained and want to keep reading. the pictures help a lot with the book. although this book does have big words and can get confusing, its a very good read read and is worth all of your time. if youve never read a book about greek mythology or even know anything about it its okay because i didnt either and this book made perfect sense. furthermore more, id high recommend this book to anyone.
Ashley Holland
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Odyssey was a great classic story. The graphic novel form of the book is incredible, the artwork is amazing and helped me visualize the story. However, some chunks of the story are without explanation and could be interpreted wrong without prior knowledge of the story or additional explanation. The jumps between past and present could be represented better. However, it was still an amazing and enjoyable read.
Gerald Capra
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the graphic novel version of the odyssey. The story is easier to understand with the pictures to show everything that's happening. The story is based on Homer's poem the Odyssey. Odysseus the king of Ithaca has been gone since the start of the Trojan war and is trying to come home. On his ten year journey he encounters many obstacles along the way, one being a cyclops named Polyphemus.
Mei-Ling
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Odyssey is an absolutely ridiculously absurd story that I love and hate in equal measures. Gareth Hinds takes this story and transforms it into a work of art (it already was a work of art, but now its an even better work of art). The art is lovey and the story line is easily understood. I loved reading it.
Jacob
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
i like this book because of all the action and adventure. if we are being honest this is one of my favorite books i have ever read. i would have rated it higher but i would've liked to see more action and blood.
UCAS English 10 H...: August novel assignment 1 16 Sep 15, 2017 08:32PM
2017 Reading Chal...: The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds 1 12 Oct 08, 2015 04:56PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds 2 20 Sep 28, 2015 09:54AM
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 1: An Epic Doodle
  • Marathon
  • Neil Flambé and the Aztec Abduction (The Neil Flambé Capers #2)
  • Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • Set to Sea
  • Ichiro
  • The Last Dragon
  • How Mirka Got Her Sword (Hereville #1)
  • The Norton Sampler: Short Essays for Composition
  • Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection
  • Thoreau at Walden
  • Americus
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • Around the World
  • Lewis  Clark
Gareth Hinds is the creator of several acclaimed graphic novels based on classics. About THE ODYSSEY, he says, "It was incredibly exciting to work with this material. Gods, monsters, flawed heroes, battles, and all the best and worst of human nature, set against an ancient Mediterranean backdrop. It’s a dream project."

Gareth Hinds lives in Watertown, Massachusetts.

Graphic Classics (9 books)
  • Beowulf