Start by marking “Deadly Daggers (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Daggers (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #3)

Deadly Daggers

(A Renaissance Faire Mystery #3)

Jessie Morton's latest apprenticeship at the Renaissance Faire is in service to Daisy, the master swordsmith. But when a professional dueler-and Daisy's former flame-is murdered, it's up to Jessie to keep a sharp eye out for the killer.
Published September 7th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Daggers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Daggers

James
It's the third week of our cozy mystery readathon on my blog @ This Is My Truth Now and we're reading Deadly Daggers, the third book in the Renaissance Faire series, by Joyce and Jim Lavene. Based on my read of the first two books, I was still apprehensive going into week three. I did like this book a little more than the last two, but the same issues that concerned me earlier continue to occur. Perhaps it's the style from 10-15 years ago versus today, or that the sub-genre was exploding with a ...more
Jaymi Couch
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m officially done. I really tried with this third book in the series and gave it more time than usual because it’s part of a read-a-thon.

I was confused and lost and disappointed. Too many characters and missing daggers and unrequited love and secret children.

Hope Jessie and Chase make it!
Stina
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Book #42 for 2013

I didn't really dislike this book, but the whole thing felt off to me. I'm not exactly an expert on Renaissance faires, but I've been to several of the larger ones as well as a few SCA functions, and I'm familiar with the behind-the-scenes lifestyle of Silver Dollar City (a sort of living history-based theme park). By comparison, this book's world seemed silly and over-the-top. Maybe that's what the authors were going for, but it failed to draw me in.

I also found the "real" cop'
Rachelle
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Each book I read seems to get better and I want to read more.
Sonya Watkins
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun fun ren faire mysteries. Wish this place really existed
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, wobble
This series is improving. I do like the camaraderie at the faire. Jesse is still very insecure in her relationship with Chase, but hopefully that will get better. Chase's brother visits this time around. It is cool to learn about a different craft every book. The mysteries are decent, although often you have a good idea who might be guilty.
Teresa
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-read
story set in a Ren Faire/in SE US
Debbie
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great series. The characters are quirky and so is the setting, that's what draws me back.
I'm looking forward the reading on.
Susan Ferguson
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, mystery
Again, Jessie is working for the summer at the Renaissance Faire. This time she is apprenticing to the swordsmith, Daisy. Daisy is excellent with a sword. Jessie is apprenticing with her to learn swordmanship and how to craft a sword. She is still working on her doctoral dissertation and still in love with Chase. She runs into someone outside the jail who claims to be Chase's fiancée - actually his ex-fiancée. She also meets Chase's brother, Morgan. She was unaware he had a brother, but is learn ...more
Marlyn
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies, crafts, mystery
The third of the Lavenes' Renaiassance Faire Mysteries (after Wicked Weaves and Ghastly Glass) has doctoral student Jessie Morton apprenticing at Swords and Such, home of the Village's swordmaster Daisy Reynolds.

The start of Jessie's apprenticeship is delayed a bit, however, because famous swordsman Alastair is visiting for a demonstration, and has challenged Daisy to a duel. Once Jessie meets Alastair, she's pretty sure Daisy will win, but protocol says she must not.

Daisy, it turns out, once ha
Susan
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, cozy, mystery, series, humor
It's going to be tough summer. Jessie studies with Daisy, renowned swords-woman of the village this summer in hopes of learning how to make a dagger. Somehow Jessie didn't take in what hot and heavy work this would be - working on olde worlde clothing in summer heat near a forge... It doesn't help that Portia and Bart are pressuring her to work her matchmaking magic or that Daisy is having troubles of her own. Daisy's ex-lover Alastair is the RenFaire's star visitor this summer, until Alastair g ...more
Sylvia McIvers
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Back to the Renaissance Faire! What fun.

Jessie is researching ancient crafts in modern times for her PhD, and what better place to research than the Faire? Where everything is sort of ancient, except that Lady Visa is very welcome.

The lovey-dovey bits add some fun to the book. Besides Jessie and her boyfriend Chase, there are three or four other sort-of-relationships that are very entertaining, and which add to the murder drama.

I like the sword-making parts, it seemed very accurate to me (based
Cheryl
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I pulled this book off the shelf because my friends and I were talking about visiting the Renaissance Festival today and I thought it would give me an idea what to expect. At first I was worried this book would be cheesy, given that the main character's boyfriend is named Chase Manhattan and comes from serious money. But the authors manage to explain that in a rather logical manner and proceed to paint a charming portrait of a town peopled with oddballs and oddities (Bart the Human Tree, Fred th ...more
Dharia Scarab
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

4 sta
Liz
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Jessie is once again back at the Renaissance Faire, this time apprenticing under a master sword maker. When an outsider comes in to Duel Daisy the swordmaker and then he is murdered. Twelve daggers of strange origins go missing and the hunt is on to find the murderer and the missing daggers. Add in Chase's brother trying to get Chase to leave the Renaissance or to sign off his part of the family business and another great subplot is added. A great read.
Snap
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm either getting used to the writing style, or this was, truly, better than the first two in the series! I thought the writing was smoother; the story better; character development is the best thing about this amateur sleuth series. A Renaissance Faire is a great place to visit and *make believe*. Jessie is growing on me.
Juliann
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This series is really maturing into some very good mysteries! Less crafting in this one, and the Ren Faire keeps getting less and less like the ones I know from Real Life but the story is juicy. (And there was less romance, whichI find distracting in mysteries.)
Joy Gerbode
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this mystery. First of all, this series is not as predictable as some. But this book of the series was especially delightful to me, since it included so many things that were familiar to me.
Amy
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story wasn't bad but the flow seemed a bit slow at times. I found myself only able to stand reading 10 to 30 pages at a time. Hoping that it was just this book and not the whole series, but I guess I will find out if I choose to continue with them.
September
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing in comparison to the previous 2 books in the series. It seems to be going downhill with each book. We already know the main characters, there was little interaction between them, we met a new character and it felt flat. Just flat. Disappointed.
Jacqueline
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, mystery, series
Extra 1/2 star for the insanity.
Jim Sampson
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun series. Love the characters. It does what a cozy is supposed to. Good reading. Not much thinking and maybe a chuckle or two.
Mar 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Marseydoats
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this series more and more as I get into it. The Ren characters are great. I especially like Daisy the swordmaker and big Bart.
Alyssa White
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A Renaissance festival murder mystery?! It is like a dream come true for me! This book had a very strong story to it, very detailed and dangerous! Not one you want to put down, it is a great book!
Diana Bringardner
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Best of the series so far!
Donna
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-to-read
Another fun setting for an easy read mystery. Renaissance faire! Yay!! The setting was great, the mystery interesting enough and the characters real. Made me want to work a faire!
Margaret
great series
Dawn Paul
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun and entertaining.
  • How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party Planning, #4)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)
  • How to Tail a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #4)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Killer in Crinolines  (Consignment Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • Don't Die Under the Apple Tree
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (Talk Radio Mystery, #3)
  • To Sketch a Thief (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #2)
  • The Crafty Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
aka Elyssa Henry and Joye Ames, J.J. Cook, and Ellie Grant

Joyce Lavene and Jim Lavene are a wife and husband team who have written and published more than 70 books since 1999. They live in North Carolina with their family and enjoy cooking, photography and ghost hunting.

A Renaissance Faire Mystery (8 books)
  • Wicked Weaves (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #1)
  • Ghastly Glass (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #2)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Treacherous Toys (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #5)
  • Murderous Matrimony (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #6)
  • Bewitching Boots (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #7)
  • Fatal Fairies (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #8)