Start by marking “The Redwall Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Redwall Cookbook

The Redwall Cookbook

(Redwall)

Ever read a Redwall novel and wonder exactly what Abbot’s Special Abbey Trifle is? Or how to make Shrimp ’N Hotroot Soup, that delicacy of otters everywhere? Or Mole’s Favourite Turnip and Tater Deeper ’N Ever Pie? From the simple refreshment of Summer Strawberry Fizz to Great Hall Gooseberry Fool, they’re all here, along with dozens of other favorites sure to turn young ...more
Published September 22nd 2005 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Redwall Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Redwall Cookbook

Start your review of The Redwall Cookbook
Taylor
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the hardest and best things about Brian Jacques 'Redwall' series is surviving through the lavish descriptions of delicious feasts. They make the mouth water, and the only time to effectively read these books is during the holidays when leftovers and goodies are abundant. Or during a good garden harvest.

Happily, there is this wee, handy cookbook with recipes and short Redwall stories. I haven't tried the recipes yet, but they look good and read well. And I am really looking forward to
Josiah
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to review. How exactly does one rate or review a cookbook, especially one that is just as much a fictional narrative as a collection of effective recipes?

Both story and recipes were very good, in my opinion. I'm not sure how exactly the recipes in the book were created, though; did Brian Jacques do it himself (probably not, I'd assume), or at least help with it? Was a chef hired by the publishing company to work up some recipes that fit within the guidelines of the
Nostalgia Reader
Redwall books aren't complete without the mouth-watering feasts, so a cookbook companion is quite fitting for the series! The recipes are split up into four feasts, one for each season, with desserts and entrees, an appetizer, and a drink for each. Recipes include the perennial favorites October Ale, Summer Strawberry Fizz, Shrimp' n' Hotroot Soup, Deeper' n' Ever Turnip' n' Tater' n' Beetroot Pie, Cheese' n' Onion Hogbake, and Afternoon Scones. All recipes are relatively simple, but quite ...more
X
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Redwallers
Wonderful, of course! What else could a Redwaller think? The book is divided into four sections - one for each season - with a little story and recipes for each. The stories and poems are nice, the illustrations darling, and the recipes simple but good (at least the one's I've tried!).
Leona  Carstairs
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Redwall Fans
This book is amazing for Redwall fans! Such awesome, fun-to-make recipes. I am 13 and make these all the time and my family loves them! Super tasty!!!!
Shane
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Redwall books are all very similar to one another, which is great, because the Redwall formula has so much to love. One of the most enjoyable characteristics of these books is their detailed descriptions of feasts and picnics full of delicious-sounding food.

In this cookbook, familiar recipes are categorized into the most appropriate season; for example, Hare’s Pawspring Soup is in Spring and Veggible Molebake is in Autumn.

The recipes are generally excellent and great for discovering
Danielle
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are cute and the recipes all sound delicious. I made the raspberry rock cakes and they were really good. My family enjoyed them for breakfast and tea. A great cookbook for fans of the Redwall series like me!
Cydni Perkins
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute little cookbook that is basically a story with recipes. It brings back many of my favorite Redwall characters, like Matthias and Cornflower, just for a big feast where everyone is exchanging little stories and recipes. Some trickery is involved when some beasts try to eavesdrop on another beat's recipes. I found several recipes that I know will be keepers, like Stones Inna Swamp (vegetable soup with dumplings). The recipes are mostly vegetarian, which I think is appropriate ...more
Amity DeAngelis
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I spent most of 5th and 6th grade inhaling all of the Redwall books and still enjoy them now and then as an adult. The descriptions of Abbey food has always made me drool! I just recently got this cookbook and tried out the stuffed mushrooms and Savory Squirrel Bakes (mashed potato and cheese balls) for Thanksgiving and they were delicious! The only difficulty I found is that a lot of the recipes contain cheese, which some picky eaters in my family won't eat. I also do not enjoy cooking very ...more
Melissa
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At the suggestion of my third-born son, we purchased this book. As a cookbook goes, there are a plethora of simple, yet scrumpious foods to enjoy. They are organized by season of the year; like soups in the fall, hot tea and scones in the winter and fruit desserts for summer. Each of my children have favorites from this book for their birthdays. I love how Mr. Jacques explains the significance of the simple recipes as the result of food rationing during WWII. Everyone had to find ways to use ...more
☺Trish
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another beautiful collaboration from author Brian Jacques and illustrator Christopher Denise. I could live on Hare's Pawspring Vegetable Soup and/or Shrimp 'N Hotroot Soup (curry!). What I'd really like to try next, though, is the Rubbadeedubb Pudd . . . baby Bungo definitely has a way with words! Oh, and after reading (and enjoying) Josiah's review and his high praise for Hare's Haversack Crumble, I can't wait to try that recipe, too!
Greymalkin
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Utterly charming and delightful! Recipes are thoughtful and fit nicely with the books. No lazy recipes of peanut butter sandwiches called by some other name like "Horace's favorite sandwich". Tons of root vegetables and nuts and grains which is lovely. All of the recipes except one are vegetarian, though very few are vegan due to an extremely generous hand with the butter, cream and cheese in almost every recipe.

Each recipe is preceded by a little scene/snippet that frames the recipe as part of
Gretchen
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
It has a lovely story and illustrations, and some good appetizer/dessert recipes, but the main dishes selection is pretty limited. It's all based on cooking basic root veggies and putting them all together in a baked dish or soup seasoned with salt and pepper (and nothing else).

In other words, it makes me want to cook - but then nothing in it sounds like it'd be satisfying to have as a meal by itself.
Jessica
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I'm so excited to be able to make my own versions of the wonderful feast dishes from Redwall Abbey! And they're divided up by season! The sweet little stories, poems and illustrations between the recipes are delightful.
(I tried making the Squirrel's Savory Bake first. Yum!)
Maggie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vapld
A comfort and a joy - delightful recipes and short and sweet Redwall stories, all food-themed, just like the best bits of the Redwall books themselves. I'll always treasure this series because it was my first epic fantasy love affair, and this cookbook fits right into that legacy.
Melina
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute, unique cookbook, and if you've read the books, you will be thrilled to have it so you can experience all the lovely Abbey fare. With one exception, it is vegetarian as well, which is great for me as my daughter has become vegetarian this year so this gives us some new dishes to try.
Jaide B
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recipes aren’t incredible, but always tasty and filling. The Shrimp & Hotroot Soup, however, has become a repeated family favorite (with extra shrimp and extra chili powder). I’d like to retry the Blackberry & Apple Cake—maybe with a glaze so it’s less dry.
Atefeh
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely will try some of the recipes for sure.
Andrew Marra
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun cookbook! I loved the Redwall books growing up so it was neat to see some of these recipes, and I recommend it if your a Redwall fan.
MysterySeeker
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
amazing recipes! Everything we tried has turned out unbelievably good!!!!
Clint Smallwood
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad i found this book, i haven't cooked anything out of it yet but the story is heartwarming all the same
Diane Boley
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book for any fans of the Redwall books! A sweet story along with many delicious recipes of Redwall favorites. Can’t wait to try them!
Heather
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful book to help anyone in the kitchen.
It even has a small story at the beginning of each chapter/season!
Erin
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, fanfic, food
I did not have a chance to actually make any of the recipes, but they look delicious and with the huge focus on food in the Redwall books, this is completely and utterly appropriate.
Cat
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ummm! The recipes all sound so yummy! I actually made the Stuffed Springtide Mushrooms for dinner the other day- very good! I'm looking forward to Mole's Favourite Deper 'N'Ever Turnip 'n' Tater 'n' Beetroot Pie! I think this book should be on everyone's cookbook shelf, both for cooking with the kids, and for dinner for adults! I enjoyed the Redwall books too! Illustrations were lovely; very sweet! I can't wait to try these recipes with the produce from my garden this summer! Everything sounds ...more
Deb
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: redwall fans but not cooks.
Shelves: cooking, childrens
I returned this cook book without actually reading through the whole thing. All of the recipes are vegetarian, which is great! Except that most of the dishes don't involve more complex spices than salt and pepper. This is not the way to get kids (or adults, ofr that matter) interested in vegetables.

The one dish I made from here, "Mole's Favourite Turnip and Tater Deeper'n'Ever Pie," was a disappointment. It would make a good base dish if you're handy with cheese & herbs, which is what I
Amy
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 8-10, pretty, 6-8, 10-12
My children's eating habits have always been vulnerable to the manipulations of their favorite fictional characters. If you have children, and have been subjected to "Wonder Pets" , then you'll appreciate how I was able to introduce celery as a worthwhile snack option. (Handy hint- a vegetable peeler will allow you to remove those annoying strings off the back of the stick very easily- throw the peels into your bucket of veggie scraps in the freezer for when you make stock) .This book is a ...more
Casey
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This might have been the best birthday present I ever recieved from a friend. I was a kid who grew up on the Redwall books in grade school, and had developed a bit of a love for cooking by emulating Food Network recipes on Sunday afternoons. Thus imagine my delight when I recieved this book to find an adorable storyline with all my favourite characters (Matthias! Cornflower! Basil!), interwoven with substantial, hearty, healthy recipes that actually turned out to be delicious.

For anyone who's
Meg
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Redwall Fans
What a lovely treat this cookbook is! Even though I haven't picked up a Redwall book in years, this charming addition with its quaint little stories and gorgeous artwork brought back so many memories. It was like meeting a very, very old friend again and discovering that they hadn't changed a jot in the time since you last met.

My only complaint is that I was expecting something a bit more challenging with the recipes. I believe this is in part my own fault, because I have become quite the cook
Fiona Sinclair

• The Hero: The Enduring Myth That Makes Us Human
  • Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
  • The Phantom of the Opera: Piano/Vocal
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
  • Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
  • The Icecutter's Daughter (Land of Shining Water, #1)
  • She Reads Truth Bible
  • Amos Fortune, Free Man
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • Heir of Lies (Black Dawn Series Book One)
  • Harmonious Mini Tarot
  • 2,100 Asanas: The Complete Yoga Poses
  • Restorative Yoga: with Assists A Manual for Teachers and Students of Yoga
  • Easy Japanese Pickling in Five Minutes to One Day: 101 Full-Color Recipes for Authentic Tsukemono
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)