Start by marking “The Bravest Man: Richard O'Kane and the Amazing Submarine Adventures of the USS Tang” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  267 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
“There’s no margin for mistakes in submarines. You’re either alive or dead.”
–Richard O’Kane

Hailed as the ace of aces, captain Richard O’Kane, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor for his consummate skill and heroism as a submarine skipper, sank more enemy ships and saved more downed fliers than anyone else.

Now Pulitzer Prize—winning author William Tuohy captures all
Published March 4th 2009 by Presidio Press (first published June 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bravest Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bravest Man

Eric_W
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O’Kane, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, learned many of his aggressive tactics from his time as exec on the Wahoo under the command of Dudley “Mush” Morgan. Morgan did all sorts of things that most commanders considered fool-hardy including steaming on the surface during daylight when within flying distance of Japanese bases. Everyone else remained submerged during daylight, hunting only at night. He also had the temerity to define “reconnoiter” as going right into an enemy held harb ...more
Dan
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book about or by Richard O'Kane I have read. It really is a book about leadership and the ability to get the most out of the people you work for or with. Some of the attitudes toward the enemy seem harsh but these men knew that losing was not an option. Thank God there were men like this to save us from the evil of facism. It is a very interesting read though not superior to the two books written by O'Kane himself.
Del
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome narrative history of life on a submarine in the Battle for the Pacific in WW2. Awesome story about an awesome man!

Listened to the unabridged audiobook on Audible.com.
Brad
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my all-time favorite WWII story. It reads like an action novel. The submarine service was an incredible group.
joe killough
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done,
Kursad Albayraktaroglu
This book is a superbly written chronicle of World War II US Navy submarine warfare in the Pacific. It is a very well researched history book, yet reads like an adventure novel. I literally could not put it down. Lots of interesting trivia about life on the submarines during WWII, technical details, and stories of incredible heroism such as the sacrifices of Capt. Cromwell and Cdr. Gilmore. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the history of WWII submarine warfare.
P.e. lolo
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A good WWII two book about subs, which I had never read about before. I was very impressed not only by there service but the amount of damage they did to transport ships. Which actually was huge. The man the book was about. Richard O'Kane , was the skipper with the most kills. This book was not just about him but the sub Fleet as a whole good and bad, from top to bottom. A very telling story that is still going on today with men in Washington. People with there own agendas. Then there are those ...more
Donald Ozello
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bravest Man is an excellent book. It is about the courageous US submarine captain Dick O'Kane, who captained a highly successful submarine in the Pacific during World War Two. It is a fascinating story about an incredibly bold man. The author does a tremendous job explaining why Captain O'Kane's crew respected and loved him so much. I highly recommend this book for everyone, especially those you enjoy reading American History, World War Two History and biographies.
7$MartyQ
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Quiet Hero and a Heroic Crew

The officers and men of the USS Tang were the embodiment of "The Greatest Generation." With very little public fanfare they brought the war that Japan started to her own shores. Twenty seven Japanese ship sinking later, her job completed, the surviving officers and men who served on her so gallantry and survived her last patrol finally came home.
Scott Griffin
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed books and movies on submarines. I loved both the book and movie of The Hunt for Red October. Having read The Greatest American Hero...it makes Red October appear tame...and this story was for real. If you are into WW II, this helps us understand the critical role of "The Silent Service".
David Ellis
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last of the great submariners.

I spent twelve years in the modern fleet ballistic submarine. We had no idea what we were doing. If we fought the ship we would need to launch our missiles. So we fought each other. This book reflects an era long gone. When crews lived and died together. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what real submarining is all about.
Debbie
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love World War II history books, and this is one of the best and most interesting I have ever read. It is fascinating to learn how life aboard a submarine was lived, and how they fought the war. Highly recommended.
Tom Chalky
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Inspirational story and great examples of old mindsets to new amazing land difficult life of a true naval hero worth the read. If you like historical/factual books.
Tony Taylor
Very good book about WWII submarine operations.
Adam Christian Smith
An absolute must read if you want to have an amazing experience being aboard a highly advanced WWII attack submarine.

I can't suggest this book enough.
William Matthies
I've read countless WWII books but only this one regarding the silent service. A great read whether or not you're interested in war books.
David Perrin
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for the WWII submarine fan.
Tom Nolan
paperback 4x7
Tony Scott
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic, 2016
An incredibly interesting read about an incredible man, and crew!
Jeff
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly they were the Greatest Generation!
Prayingmantis
Mar 06, 2012
Cbseattle
Feb 23, 2016
Joyce
rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2015
Jim Taglianetti
Oct 16, 2014
Elizabeth Granville
Sep 13, 2013
  • Black May: The Epic Story of the Allies' Defeat of the German U-Boats in May 1943
  • Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted, 1942-1945 (Modern Library War)
  • Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
  • Memoirs: Ten Years and Twenty Days
  • Black Sheep One: The Life of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • War Beneath The Sea
  • Big Red: Three Months On Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest i n Europe
  • Sailors to the End: The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It
  • Hostile Waters
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Silent Running
  • John Bell Hood: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General
  • Patton, Montgomery, Rommel: Masters of War
  • Torpedo Junction: U-Boat War Off America's East Coast, 1942
  • Jefferson's War: America's First War on Terror 1801-1805
William, or Bill, Tuohy was a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author who, for most of his career, was a foreign correspondent for the Los Angeles Times.
More about William Tuohy...