Start by marking “From Head to Toe” as Want to Read:
From Head to Toe

From Head to Toe

From Eric Carle, the New York Times bestselling creator of beloved books includingThe Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Grouchy Ladybug, comes From Head to Toe, a colorful and energetic book that will have young readers clapping their hands, stomping their feet, and wiggling their toes! This oversize paperback is perfect for classroom sharing.

Giraffes can bend their necks,
Published May 29th 2007 by HarperFestival (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about From Head to Toe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Head to Toe

Start your review of From Head to Toe
Jessica Brown
Duuuuuuude I absolutely love this, and want to give it 5 stars, but WHY DID THIS BEAUTIFUL BOOK HAVE TO ADD IN THE "I'M A DONKEY AND I KICK MY LEGS. CAN YOU DO IT?" FUCK YOU, ERIC CARLE. I'VE ALREADY BEEN BEATEN UP IN STORYTIME, I'M NOT GETTING BEATEN UP AGAIN.

On a more reasonable note, I will just paperclip that page so it is never seen by children's eyes during storytime. Because the book is great, with good interactive movement and different animals doing different things. I really think
Marcelle Kosman
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listen this is an incredible book. Not only is it a riveting story of attempts and accomplishments across multi-species lines (CAN you do it???), it celebrates each highlighted ability equally. Its greatest strength is the illustrations. The multi-racial children are ALL gender ambiguous and their animal pairings explode gender and racial stereotypes.
IMHO 9/10; lacks clear inclusion of disabilities.
Dianne
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Anyone who reads a lot of Eric Carle's books cannot fail to notice that there is a hierarchy of things that turn Carle on:

1. Animals. Carle obviously adores animals.
2. Fabrics. Carle loves texture and pattern.
3. Human hair. His hair is somewhat less pleasing than his fabrics

And then somewhere, way, way down at the bottom of the hierarchy comes "Human face and figure." It is always jarring to me to compare his beautifully articulated animals that practically roar and pop off the page with his
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
No story or character arcs at all just a bunch of animals saying "can you do this?"
Candace
In this interactive book the animals do something and the child does it too. For example, a seal claps, a giraffe bends its neck and a camel bends its knees. The collage illustrations are large and colorful. The sentences are in a question and answer format. The exercises will keep young bodies moving. Readers will want to join in these fun activities with the animals.
Annette Taylor-james
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-reads
This is a very interactive book so this is not for circle time if you want them to sit. The children love to be real silly with the actions in this book mimicking what they can do from head to toe; funny indeed.
Brittany
Jorgia loved this book so much! Lots of giggles :p
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute book that goes through several animals showing what they can do in body movements as compared to a human. Very clever.
Allie
Oct 13, 2015 added it
Title: From Head to Toe
Author: Eric Carle
Genre: Predictable Book
Theme(s): Body movements, body parts, abilities, repetition, animals
Opening line/sentence: I am a penguin and I can turn my head. Can you do it?
Brief Book Summary:
I am a penguin and I can turn my head. Can you do it?
In this classic Eric Carle book, he depicts animals teaching children how to do simple movements with their bodies. Each time a child is able to copy the animal they say with joy, “I can do it!”
Professional
Margaret Chind
Read from the HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics . I prefer Carle's other books, but it is a fun lead in to singing. This is one my daughter can "read" alone after only a time or two of reading and she loves to do the actions as well, it's a pretty good get up and play story.

-- Added board book to our shelves. 3/10/13
Amy Beckett
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I took this book with me to Barcelona in my first year of uni, where I had the opportunity to teach English in a small village primary school. This was such an interactive and fun way for children to begin to learn basic words in the English language and solidify their knowledge by acting out the described movements. We read this book as a shared reading activity in their hall, acting out each page brought such excitement for the children and really boosted their confidence in learning English.
Joan
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A question-and-answer format introduces young children to basic body parts and simple movements. Different animals ask the questions; several children give the answers. Young readers will happily embrace the opportunity to move and be part of the action.

Young children will enjoy the illustrations and will have fun identifying the various animals in the book.

Highly recommended.
Jeff Grosser
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched an old episode of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and there was a feature on Eric Carle. It showed how Eric creates his paintings and then he read this book with Mr. Rogers. It was very entertaining and educational.
Mary
My favorite Eric Carle book. Would be great when you want the kids up and moving.
Hunter Paul
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to try all the things the animals do in this book!! My favorite is to kick like a donkey!
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
I love this one and need to get a copy asap. We turn it into a pose like an animal game.
Miss Kelly
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: soren-s-books
For kids who can hold their necks up!
Kelly Lin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book because in this book it show different action movement for children. Also children can have their gross motor skill to move their body. They also can learn different type of emotion from this book and thing that they know. It is a good book for children.
Shante' Polite
Title: From Head to Toe
Author: Eric Carle
Publisher and Date: HarperFestival, 1999

This book is about how a variety of animals move in a variety of ways. Each animal is always followed by a child copying them. The characters of the various animals and the various children show that everybody can do the same thing, no matter how different they are. The writing style of the book contains words that are easy for the children to read. Also, the text repeats during the book. The illustrations are very
Annalisa
Eric Carle's book "From head to toe" is a fantastic book! The large, colorful pictures and the simple, clear text keep children bending and stretching right along with the animals! Each page of this book has a different animal moving a different body part and a picture of a kid doing the same thing. The kids can imitate you doing the movement, or some kids will even look at the picture and copy the animal or kid. Some of the pictures are more fun than others. My son especially like the gorilla, ...more
Bookishrealm
I read this book as a part of the picture book challenge I am participating in on my blog. One of the categories was to read a book that is a book by Eric Carle so I decided to choose this book. If you're interested in the picture book categories I'll be reading from as part of the challenge be sure to check out the link here: 2017 Challenges.

After reading so much Eric Carle last year, I was happy to find that I still enjoyed his works and this one in particular. I was definitely fooled by the
Nora Ramirez
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I did like this book because children love to read or listen to a book that has body movement. The pictures are great, and they are easy for children to copy the movements. They are able to see different animals and how they move. During reading time we can talk about animals, the different movements, and colors.

I think children would respond with excitement to this book. While reading this book, I would read it first. Then, I would demonstrate the movement the animals do. (Can you do it? I can
Sally Todd
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Eric Carle delivers another imaginative reading book to introduce the different parts of the body to children. The book allows creativity amongst children, whilst pointing at the various body parts – ‘I am a camel and I bend my knees. Can you do it?’ The main emphasis of the book is about movement – and I can see it being used in initial warm up exercises in lower key stage one P.E lessons. The book will engage children because of its interactive nature of the story.
SaraLaLa
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Pretty much a standard Eric Carl book. It provides a good list of a variety of animals and verbs. The thing I like about it is that it almost invites the reader to participate in the activities the characters are doing.
Lauren
Good book to get the kids participating through movement.
Jewel
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-the-kids
Any thing that gets my kid moving is good
Nabia CHIKER
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle is known for his simplicity and this book is no different. Both the illustrations and the text are kept to a minimum. On each spread, a creature introduces itself, moves a particular part of its body (sequence goes from "head to toe") and asks a child to do the same ("I am a penguin and I turn my head. Can you do it?"). In each case, the children joyfully reply with "I can do it!"-and then also mimic the movement.

There are several times where, Carle creates strange similarities
Alexandra Mooney
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From Head to Toe is an interactive story that is written to get children moving along with the actions in the book. Children are able to copy what each animal does and use actions to help remember the words in the book. The book can be used for children to learn animals, what animals do in the wild, and how they can associate words with actions.

The author was successful in pointing out distinguishable actions made by each animal. The illustrations showed the actions and a child doing them so
Jackson Delfosse