Start by marking “The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)

The Legend of Luke

(Redwall #12)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  15,157 ratings  ·  192 reviews
In this twelfth book in the masterful Redwall epic, storyteller Brian Jacques goes back in time to the days before Redwall, revealing with dramatic poignancy the legend of the first of the magnificent Redwall warriors--Luke, father of Martin. It is that legend Martin hopes to discover when he embarks on a perilous journey to the northland shore, where his father abandoned ...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Firebird (first published January 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Luke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Luke

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
Leila
Wonderful story as always with all Brian Jacques's books.
Josiah
Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It was a wondrous tale he had to tell...It was also very sad at times, but does not sadness mingle with joy, to make us grow fully into the creatures we are?"

Abbess Germaine, The Legend of Luke, P. 373

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first picked up this book to read it. Would the plot be focused more on Luke the Warrior or his son Martin, who has become a legend to fans of the Redwall series all around the globe?

Ultimately, I believe that The Legend of Luke is the best Redwall book
Joseph Leskey
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
Somehow, I managed not to review this when I read it, but it was highly fine and of excellent quality and all that.
Cole
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I loved about this book is that the beginning is in the present then in the past. It really unearths some of the characters' personalities. It also helps understand how Martin feels.
Thea (All About Books)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars
Anne L.
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Legend of Luke is one book in the series A Tale from Redwall, in which all the characters are animals, with their own quirks, dialects, and interests. Redwall Abbey centers in most of the stories. An immense (for critters) edifice that houses dozens or more, its a place where anybeast (part of the series lingo: nobeast, everybeast, etc., just substitute beast where you normally would say one or man) can come to live in peace and harmony, working in the orchard or kitchens or with the ...more
Ross
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Luke was written with the same high quality that we have come to expect from Brian Jacques and his Redwall series. Unlike his previous stories though, this novel lacked the same level of character connection that the others created between the characters and the reader.

The story leading up to Martian finding his father's former comrades had some adventure, but nothing that we have not seen before from Martin and his loyal companion Gonff, including Gonff making a reprisal of his
Jeff
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first red the book Redwall over 20 years ago. It brought back a love for reading which had been dormant for a few years. After that I would read each of Jacques' books, many just as soon as they came out. Later I moved on to other books and genres. I was given this book as a gift, and while grateful - because of the special place in my heart for Jacques and his tales, I was too busy reading "more important" pieces.
Then I decided to take a little break, dust off "The Legend of Luke" and enjoy
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
The wonderous thing about reading Brian Jacques' writing is that it is so enchanting, you always want to return to it, in particular Redwall Abbey. Yes I have the audiobooks and I love how they have been dramatised, but reading the words created by Jacques is something altogether special.

This book gives the final piece of background to the one character who appears in nearly all of the Redwall books, Martin the Warrior. The story is in toxicating and although you know that there cannot be a
Leona  Petrovic
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book and I...um....eh....used to own it, but I gave it to my sister along with 9 other books in exchange of her really nice hardcover box set of Lord of the Rings.
Jenny Clark
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good Redwall book. I like the ones that have Martin in them, because he is not just a warrior who fights and stands for good and has no personal issues, like a lot of the other protagonists. He has a history, and it comes back to him. He wants to know what happened to his father, he wants to know where he came from. He is a very dynamic character.
The writing is great as always, very descriptive, especially the feast scenes. This is a good series to talk to young children
John
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
"Three and a half stars. I liked that this book was about characters I already knew and liked, but why did so many other people have to die?"
Megan Cutler
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
In a word: disappointing.

I was actually looking forward to the Legend of Luke because it involved Martin and his fabled father. And indeed, the opening of the book was a breath of fresh air. I liked the linear nature as opposed to the back and forth the books usually feature.

Alas, as soon as the book reached the main story, the one about Luke, it became the same predictable formula of all the other books, though compressed to fit in the midsection of the book. The parts with Martin, Gonff and
Jonathan
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
"The Legand of Luke" by Brian Jacques is is a story about a mouse Named Martain, who is like a person in this series, looking for his father. The main character Martain was level heade,"wondrous indeed, Trimp, but you must always remember what a sword is really made for. It has only on purpose, to slay..."(Jacques 22). Martain was aware that Trimp admired the sword as if it were holy and could do no evil. He was aware of the perpous of the sword and was reminding Trimp of that. Martain was kind, ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
The few books about Martin the Warrior or the time he lived in are good, and provide an excellent backdrop for the world of Redwall. However, the heart of this story does not happen at Redwall, and revolves around Martin's father. This book is different from other Redwall books, but the spirit remains the same, and the changes in here are refreshing. I have to say that this is easily one of the best in the series.
Nathan Hartman
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The third act just drags. Once Luke's story is complete the book has little reason to continue.
Sam
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sam Bequette
1st period
11/06/17

The Legend of Luke, a fantasy novel by Brian Jacques, is a classic tale of heroism.
The book opens in a place called, Mossflower Country, where woodland creatures are in the process of creating a giant abbey for all to live. The main protagonist, Martin, is helping to construct the abbey when suddenly, for no apparent reason, he is hit with a wave of questions and longing for the home he had to leave when he was just a small child. With his faithful friend, Gnoff
Wing Kee
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am biased so disregard this review.

So much of my childhood has been spent here and therefore I can't really be objective here.

World: The world is dense and fully lived in and magical. It's the most beautiful of forests and adventures are high stakes but not really. This time we travel to the north to learn the origins of Martin's father Luke. It's a tale of the high seas and it's beautifully described.

Story: Follows the Redwall formula and doesn't really stray. Although the framing of the
Joe Brown
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant as I knew it would be! Both Martin and lukes tales made for some exceptional reading but lukes tale especially was a very bittersweet adventurous story. I expected that Martin would end up reuniting with his father and so I'm glad that this wasn't the case as the actually finality to lukes story was so much more rewarding, a truly engaging warriors vengeance tale. There were a lot of characters in this one, though I had very little trouble remembering who was who, one or two of the ...more
Julie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, skimmed
Caroline
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Martin, Gonff and Dinny Foremole along with other familiar friends like Ferdy & Coggs (all grown up), Abbess Germaine, Bella and Skipper lead the reader on a new adventure. Trimp the wandering hedgehog finds her way to Redwall and unknowingly causes Martin to reflect on his past. Trimp along with Martin and his two best friends, Gonff and Dinny decide to leave Redwall and their loved ones--who are in the process of finishing Redwall Abbey construction--to find out more about Martin and his ...more
Marianna
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, animal-fiction
The writing, story, and character are all done with great quality.

The story start with Martin wanting to know what happen to his father Luke. We get to know how Martin feels. The journey at the beginning felt a little long. Some of the characters they meet do appear in the other books before and afore this book.

Luke's story brings a satisfied conclusion as to what happen. At the end, Martin has find contentment.

Tez Cain
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I've reread it a dozen times, it contains humour, sadness, excitement, battles and adventure. I was sad to finish this the first time as I was really enjoying the book and anxious to see how it ended, however I will keep rereading this book and keep an eye out for more of the Redwall books
Theresa
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Redwall books. Somehow, Brian Jacques takes warrior mice, goofy but gallant hares, rustic hedghogs and other creatures, combines them with adventures and terrific descriptions of food, and creates compelling stories. I'm not always a fan of anthropomorphized animals, but I find the Redwall series to be very enjoyable.
Sam
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
My favourite Redwall book by far. What an enthralling and encompassing story and so many memorable characters! A story I'll think of fondly for a long time to come and happily rereard when I get the chance to! Thank you Mr. Jacques for your wonderful work.
Michelle
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A neat little story. I haven't read any of the others, this was just the only book in the psych ward that wasn't a romance. Probably going to go back and start at the beginning of the whole series, to understand who these animals are, and why I should care.
Matthew McAndrew
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this one was good. I loved delving into the lore of Martin the Warrior's family, seeing his ancestors' past. There were a lot of unique ideas in this one, and I remember enjoying it so much I couldn't put it down.
Musab-San Joshu-Kun
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in my favorite childhood series.
Emmaline
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of all the Redwall books. Anyone who says that this series is just for kids needs to read this story.
Paul Carter
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In short, as I am reading through the Redwall books in published order, "The Legend Of Luke" is the best of the series so far. I had been looking forward to reading it for a long time because obviously there is some backstory and character development left to be desired if left with "Mossflower" and "Martin The Warrior" alone. I loved being able to revisit Martin and finally dig deeper into his past and his lineage to learn more about the character. My favorite part was learning about Luke and, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Secret of the Sirens
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Vol. 6
  • The Cry of the Icemark
  • Ashes in My Mouth, Sand in My Shoes
  • Guadalupe Mysteries: Deciphering the Code
  • An Exorcist Tells His Story
  • Witnesses to Mystery: Investigations into Christ's Relics
  • Angels and Demons: What Do We Really Know About Them?
  • The Glory of the Crusades
  • Nemesis (Resident Evil, #5)
  • Fire Bringer
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Underworld  (Resident Evil, #4)
  • Code: Veronica  (Resident Evil, #6)
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
  • Cracks in the Sidewalk
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St.

Redwall (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)