Start by marking “The Heart of Anger” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Anger

The Heart of Anger

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
ANGER! Is it ever in your home? Do your children ever speak to you in angry, disrespectful tones? Do they ever fight between themselves? Have you ever lost your patience and composure when dealing with an infuriating situation in the home? well, if you honestly answered yes to any of these questions, you need this book. Christian families, especially those in which childre ...more
Published October 2nd 2009 by Calvary Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Anger

Chad Warner
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner
This is a biblically-based approach to solving a child's behavior problems. The premise is that behavior issues are generally rooted in an anger problem. This book explains how to change your parenting style to prevent and cure your child's anger problem. This usually involves dealing with your own anger problem. It's written by a Christian counselor and instructor.

Some techniques and examples seem unrealistic (I can't imagine them working for my child). The author mentions a few times that othe
Andrea
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book had some very helpful concepts.

Its focus is on teaching children to evaluate their sinful anger (whether inward or outward manifestations) using biblical terminology and determine/employ biblical alternatives. It also helps kids determine the circumstances that led up to the anger and acknowledge/describe their actions in dealing with it.

The author uses his experience as a parent and a counselor to give ideas, outline biblical instruction and provide scenarios where this pr
Gabriel Hudelson
This book is an excellent introduction to two things:

- Christian counseling

- Biblical parenting

In "The Heart of Anger," Lou Priolo does an outstanding job laying out practical, foundational ways to train children up in the nurture and admonition of The LORD, using Scripture and Biblical discipline- and not psychobabble and medications. He puts a heavy focus on teaching children how to think about their own sinful hearts and the situations of life Biblically, and oftentimes ends up helping parent
Peggy Johnson
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have gleaned helpful tools to minister to angry teens and their parents from this excellent book.
Go2therock
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was told that this was something like Love and Logic, only with scriptural references. I confess, I am one of the few adoptive parents who has not read L and L, but have heard it referenced often. So the addition of scripture made this the easy choice for me.

The instructions put forth in Heart of Anger do require some concentrated effort, but I have no doubt that they will reap the rewards you are looking for - for both your child and yourself. While reading, I already began putting into prac
Thomas Berber
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
I am always skeptical of Christian "lifestyle, self-help, pop psychology" but this book is not of that type, but convinces by using sound exegesis of the biblical texts and practical applications thereof.
The first thing that went through my mind reading was that i need to be trained like this before i can ever apply it to my children. There remains the great temptation to say, this is too complicated and time-consuming but - as Lou Priolo also says - to not provoke your children to anger, but t
Carolyn
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
What I love most about this book is that you can read it from both the vantage point of the child or the parent. And switch back and forth depending on the concept presented. You can immediately place yourself in your childhood home growing up as well as your home now with your own kids with YOU as the parent.

This is a must-have eye-opening book for all parents. If you own only three parenting books, let this be one of them. Highly recommend. It has the potential to heal old wounds as well as c
Betsy
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
I really appreciate Priolo's insight into this issue. I think some of the vignettes/conversations recorded are a little stilted sounding, but I think his diagnosis of the causes of anger (both in ourselves and in our children) are right on target. I especially appreciated the chapters on manipulation/disrespect. This book was convicting for me as a parent, showing me areas in my own life that need examination. I feel like I need to reread it! It's definitely not a book to be picked up only if yo ...more
Nannette Serra
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nannette by: NANC
Shelves: counseling
I had to rate this at only a 3 star because,after all, I have children. BTW: According to the cover of the book I have, it is foreword is by John McArthur,Jr. Jay E. Adams wrote the preface and you may recognize him as the "father" of nouthetic counseling. My counseling professor was not the only one who had difficulties with Jay Adams.
Ryan
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a practical, helpful book! This is the sort of book I'll be returning to frequently as a resources. The biblical approach (focusing on the heart) and the worksheets in the appendix make this an easy book to recommend. I'd give it 5 stars, but the author's tendency to write in lists made this just less than a 5-star book. This would be very worthwhile for anyone dealing with anger in their children (or themselves!).
Cherie
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This book is not just about anger it is a book on parenting and teaches how to create a Christ centered, rather than child centered, home. It not only tells you what you should do and why but gives you practical application in which you can apply the concepts you learn. This book also has a workbook that can be used as part of a small group setting. Great book!
Camille K.
This book is typical Nouthetic or "biblical counseling" on anger. It is very much like Priolo's other lectures on parenting "God's way" or whatever. John MacArthur, David Powlison, and Jay Adams all endorse it.

There's nothing new here that you can't find regurgitated in any number of Nouthetic books -- from Tedd Tripp to Gary Ezzo to John MacArthur.
David
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many problems I see as a counselor and a middle-school/elementary school bus driver are often anger problems. Can't tell you how often I hear the words, "He/she makes me so angry . . ." 21st century philosophy offers no help. Priolo's book, The Heart of Anger offers real help for people who will take it seriously and respond accordingly.
Rob
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book had some nuggets of goodness in it that I really appreciated, however there is a large portion of the book that I feel lacks value. Some of the scenarios feel contrived and stretched to fit the author's agenda. Further, I think it is in large degree, an over complication of a simple problem... Almost all anger is driven by selfishness and needs to be dealt with as such.
Cynthia
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A book on nouthetic counseling is always refreshing. Most interactions among people are not on a biblical plane. The chapter on not answering a fool in his folly is especially helpful. As sinners saved by grace, foolishness still creeps into our conversations. We should be ready to help each other get our thinking in line with the Word of God.
Anita
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book seems like it would only address anger, it actually can help parents and teachers deal biblically with several issues of the heart. And, as with most heart issues books, this one would not have to only deal with children either.
Steve
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2011
Full of good stuff.
Jeff
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very helpful for parents in particular to understand the root of anger in their children and how to combat it.
Julie
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Some good nuggets, but felt much of it was repetitive (each of the journals seemed simliar) - glad to have read it though, and will remember it if needed at some point.
Jason
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a father of six children, I highly recommend this book for parents as much as for children. It is good for all of us!
Michael
Great book for "parents" with anger issues!
Jen
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely wonderful...don't expect to get away with thinking this book is just to deal with the anger of children, adults alike will benefit.
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for any parent or person with an anger problem. Passive aggressive anger is so prevalent among adults, and this book addresses that as well as overt anger. A must read.
Tom Mullins
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
diving in for a second time...particularly for the early chapters
Terri
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who are bellievers or not..
Recommended to Terri by: my church did recommand to me what realize that parents taught t
this is definetly recommand for all parents realize what every child has a problem. it is very helpful and teaches you to disciple your child.
Loriann
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome for parents and anybody who wants to deal with their anger in a Godly way.
Amber
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you have an angry child? Read here for insight and guidance on what to do for you and them. Warning: you may find that it makes you angry to think about your own anger.
Brock
Oct 02, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family/Parenting
Andy
Jan 09, 2002 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Kristie
I think this was a worthwhile book to read, but difficult to put into practice unless you really memorize scripture.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • Successful Christian Parenting
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Christian Living in the Home
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas For Everyday Discipline
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Parenting is Heart Work
  • Standing on the Promises
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother (Pilgrimage Growth Guide)
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Already Gone: Why Your Kids Will Quit Church and What You Can Do to Stop It
  • How to Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
LOU PRIOLO is the Director of Biblical Counseling at Eastwood Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, Alabama. A graduate of Calvary Bible College and Liberty University, he is the author of The Heart of Anger , and The Complete Husband. Lou is also a Fellow in the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors. He resides in Wetumpka, Alabama with his wife, Kim, and daughters, Sophia and Gabriella.
More about Lou Priolo...