Start by marking “Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)” as Want to Read:
Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)

Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  13,427 Ratings  ·  404 Reviews
"Taylor is the name. John Taylor....My card says I'm a detective, but what I really am is an expert on finding things. It's part of the Gift I was born with as a child of the Nightside - the hidden heart of London where it's always three a.m., where inhuman creatures and otherworldly gods walk side-by-side in the endless darkness of the soul.

"Assignment: Locate the Unholy
Audiobook, 6 pages
Published December 21st 2008 by Audible Frontiers (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Agents of Light and Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agents of Light and Darkness

Dan Schwent
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Taylor gets hired by a priest from the Vatican to find the Unholy Grail, the cup Judas drank from at the last supper. Standing in Taylor's way are all the other people looking for the Grail: Walker from the Authorities, angels from Above and Below, Nasty Jack, and others. With Suzie Shooter at his side, can Taylor find the Grail and walk out of this situation alive?

Agents of Light and Darkness is like a Ramones song. Short but, at the same time, the perfect length. Both the humor and horror
T.J.
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series has promise as it is full of interesting ideas and settings, but the author seems dead set against examining them in depth. Ideas and settings that could fill an entire novel are explored in a matter of pages and dismissed. The world of the Nightside is presented as something extremely old and filled with interesting characters and story lines. Yet in book two, the size of the world already feels small as we are already re-visiting many of the same locales and characters from the fi ...more
Justin
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
This is the second book in multi-volume series by Simon R. Green. The story once again follows the almost always abstruse John Taylor, the private detective who is really good at finding things. In the first book you learn John is a former Nightside badass who in his time away from the Nightside developed a conscious. He went back into the disturbing scene that is the Nightside to help someone in need. Agents of Light and Darkness follows a similar premise, except on a larger scale. This time it ...more
Steven
Maybe I'll get back to this one day, but it's sat in the first half of the book for almost two months and really wasn't interesting me at all. So I give up!
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As I think I've mentioned somewhere before, I am the biggest sucker for pulp fiction. Simon R. Green's Nightside series take pulp fiction an extra step & meld it to the supernatural and the weird sci-fi realm. You may be a little lost if Agents of Light and Darkness is where you start in the series; I would definitely start with the first one "Something From the Nightside" and go through the books in order.

In this episode, our hero, John Taylor, is back in the Nightside again, and finds hims
Robin
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simon-r-green, 2012
Agents of Light and Darkness is the second book in Simon Green's Nightside series. Here's my review from Audible. It pretty much says it all.

"I just can't decide"

Parts of these stories are so well told it can bring a tear to your eye and part of it feels repetitive and part of it bugs me to no end. You'll have to find the good bits on your own. I'm not going to spoil it.

The repetitive, is the instance that anything out of this world is possible in the Nightside. That's fine, I got it the first
Ken
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always amazed at any writer that can put together 200 pages worth of thoughts into a coherent, cohesive and interesting story line. I doubt very much that I have in me what it takes to put together anything that is a fraction as good as the lowest rated books that I have ever read.

That being said, it amazes me further when an author can take those few pages and the few words on those pages and weave not only a theme worth following, but an entire previously undefined world and in such intri
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
What lessons did I learn from this book? Angels are as scary as they are majestic. Whew. I really don't want the angel apocalypse hitting anywhere I live like it does in the Nightside. Also don't get in the way of an angel with a mission. You will not survive the encounter. In this case, the angels are after someone who has the Judas Cup, not the Holy Grail. Yeah, you can guess this cup is probably not going to be used for benevolent purposes.

The action is fierce, the horror is very evident, th
Ahmad Sharabiani
Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2), 2003, Simon R. Green (1955)
عنوان: نایت ساید جلد دوم: کارگزاران نور و ظلمت؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: علی مصلح حیدرزاده؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ویدا، چاپ نخست 1390، در 204 ص، اندازه 14 در 21 س.م، فروست: مجموعه نایت ساید، شابک جلد 2: 9789642912384؛ شابک دوره: 9789646807914؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
Nima Kohandani
3.5

خیلی بهتر از کتاب 1 بود. حداقل پایانش اونقدر تخیلی و چرت نبود

پایان منطقی تر و شگفت آورتری داشت

تخیل همچنان بی حد و حصر بود و هرجا گرین کم می آورد از تخیلات بی حد و حصر نایت ساید، بستری که برای این کار به وجود آورده، استفاده می کرد

استفاده از منطق ِ خودش در عین بی منطقی

نایت شاید مکان شگفت آوریه اما هنوز زیادی گنگ و مبهمه

این کتاب هم یه دور تند از اتفاقات پشت سر هم ردیف شده بود به نظر من. تند تند جلو رفت و اتفاقات مختلفی افتاد.

خوب بود. بیشتر از پایان جلد 1 مشتاق شدم به خوندن کتاب بعدیش

Totoro
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wonderful
the fantasy in this series, the horror, the action,......wow....just wow.
the idea of a dark london was great, i simply adored the main protagonist , John Taylor. overall the whole book was fantastic.
Lea
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, noir
The many shortcomings are made up for with pitch black gallows humor. Actually, is there a color darker than black? Because that would describe this parody of urban-fantasy-noir Perfectly.
Charles
Oct 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fucking NO ONE, unless they need to read an example of terrible Urban Fantasy
1/5 Did not like it.

Oh boy. Where to begin? I really want to like this series, but Simon R Green's just making it too damn difficult. The core concept is cool enough: a private eye who can find anything... wait. Even as I start to write that, the concept starts to fall apart. I mean, what conflict can there be if the protagonist is the best at what he does and never fails? What's that? OOOOOHHH, he can't actually use his ability/talent/power* because it makes him visible to his enemies, who are
Jason
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
4 Stars

Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green is the second book in the Nightside series. This is a mix of a private eye story and an Urban fantasy that is just perfect for my interests today. I have been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately. Combine my new favorite genre with a detective noir like story and you have made me something special. I loved this book. I loved the writing of Green. I loved the world of Nightside. And I especially loved our main character (can't call him the g
Kristy
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The last chapter of this book is worthy of 5 stars, that's how amazing it is! I don't think I've ever seen a better representation of Jesus's character in a non-Christian book than right there in that chapter. No, the story is not Biblical and I know that, so please don't send me messages regaling me for thinking so. But at the same time, the last chapter contains what to me is exactly what Jesus's character, love, and forgiveness CAN do.

The second to last chapter was not so cool, and in fact I
Meikoyim
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Second book in the series. I thought I'd give its predecessor a go before being well and truly suck into the story. So much so that I finished two books in the space of three nights.

What can I say, I am a sucker for modern urban fantasies.

Though, yes, I liked it quite muchly. I did raid through two. But yes, only three stars. Yes, for both of them.

It's not the fault of the stories.

It's the fault of the depth they carry, which isn't a whole lot, and then the author is repetitive, the same senten
Leila Anani
In this second Nightside novel, Private Eye John Taylor is hired to find the Unholy Grail - the cup that Judas drank from during the last supper. Angels - both divine and fallen invade the Nightside and threaten to destroy it unless Taylor hands the cup over to them - but to give the cup (which still has to be found) to either side would spell disaster - With a sticky situation like this Jon needs the help of Suzie Shooter, Razor Eddie and even Merlin himself - but will they be enough to avert A ...more
Solace Winter
Honestly, rating this book was hard. Three stars was the low end, four stars would have been the higher end. I went with three only because this book did seem a bit repetitive. It's short, and a quick read, so it should not be repetitive. Another issue with the novel is his search for his mother. It's like the author already had a huge plan for what would happen when Taylor found his mother but did not want to give the plot too soon. The third, and I swear the last, issue was that it was predict ...more
Lori
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, fiction
Green's Nightside is all the wonders and horrors of this world, and many others, available in one place, making shopping easy - if you can afford the price.

Told from the first-person perspective of John Taylor, a "refugee" of the Nightside recently returned from five years living in the mundane London Proper, this series offers a unique take on many ideas.

While it follows the noir trope of a private investigator down on his luck, who often takes cases for reasons other than cash, the book also
Cupof Tea
This is the second book in a weird series about a fantastical place hidden from the world called the Nightside. Told in the style of a noir detective novel with a lot of dry humour, mixed with urban fantasy and horror elements, in this story John Taylor is tasked with finding the Unholy Grail before the angels of both Heaven and Hell can get their hands on it.

There were quite a few LOL one-liners, and his adventure includes a few famous folk like Marilyn Munroe and Merlin, and even takes them to
Donna
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You've heard about the Holy Grail, the chalice that Christ drank from during the Last Supper. What about Judas' chalice, the Unholy Grail, which is a cup that causes its owner to do evil? Never heard of it? Neither had John Taylor until he accepted the Pope's commission to locate it and get it out of Nightside before the Angels of Light and Darkness started a war over it.
As always, Green' sardonic wit and rapid action create a wonderful book that will make you laugh and will keep you sitting gl
Chris
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really have anything to add as far as a review of this book. I liked it because of it's atmosphere and all around creepiness. Green has great skill in putting in that one detail that twists a scene or character into something very creepy. The only flaws I have with this book is the rather simple plot. (I had guessed who Jude was almost from the beginning,) but otherwise a fun and interesting book. I will continue with the series and hope his plots start to become more exciting.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
This book was even better than the first, a good part due to Marc the Narrator and because of Green giving us some dirty and fascinating secrets about some of the side characters, in this case I am referring to Suzy Shooter. There was also some excellent touches of history and religion, plus some good chuckle moments.

I highly anticipate reading book 3 (I thought I'd see how then non-audible version went in comparison).

4 stars.
Hannah
This second book in the Nightside series continues to develop the main characters while sending them on another adventure that could destroy the world: finding the Unholy Grail for the Vatican before the angels and devils get their hands on it. I enjoyed the noir writing and religious elements, but thought too much time was spent on the numerous side villains. There's a new baddie in almost every chapter! This is a quick, fun read that sticks the landing at the end, and I would read it again.
D.K.
Apr 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read, but I couldn't bring myself to give it four stars. If you're looking for a quick read to fill some downtime and looking for action and humor, Agents of Light and Darkness is the book you should read.

I will definitely continue with the series.
Amir  Arman
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
درمجموع فانتزیش از قسمت قبل کمتر شده بود... و هنوز گنگ بودن نایت سایدو به دنبال میکشه، پایانش تاحدودی سریع جمع شده بود...
درمجموع ۴ کفایت میکرد!
AmirHosein
مشخصاً بهتر از جلد قبل..
هرچند نویسنده استعداد کمی در پرداختن به داستان های حاشیه ای و کوتاه در طول قصه داره.. همه ی اتفاقات تیتر وار می گذرن.. به امید بهتر شدن توی جلدای بعد!
Yona
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another interesting adventure of John Taylor in the Nightshade.
Donald Dudley
Mar 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be as bad as the first.
Beefgir
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this author is really bad at writing.
there are several problems i have with his style. but before all that, i have to talk about the god damn nightside.
i swear to fuck, stop talking about the nightside!
we get it. you are IN the nightside. you dont need to wax poetic every other sentence about it. he would start describing where he was, and then just start talking about the nightside:

you have to be that way to grow up in the nightside.
thats just how you live in the nightside.
who knows what w
2015 Reading Chal...: Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green 1 11 May 28, 2015 03:01PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Agents of Light and Darkness 1 2 Mar 30, 2012 12:45PM
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)

“It's tucked away in a quiet corner, shadowed and obscured, no part of the Nightside's usual bright gaudy neon noir. It doesn't advertise and it doesn't care if you habitually pass by on the other side. It's just there for when you need it. Dedicated to the patron saint of lost causes, St. Jude's is an old old place... St. Jude's isn't a place for comfort for frills and fancies and the trappings of religion. just a place where you can talk to your god and sometimes get an answer.” 11 likes
“It's always thoughts of family that drive me crazy, and it's always my friends who bring me back.
Agents of Light and Darkness p.218