Start by marking “Librarian on the Roof! A True Story” as Want to Read:
Librarian on the Roof! A True Story

Librarian on the Roof! A True Story

When RoseAleta Laurell begins her new job at the Dr. Eugene Clark Library in Lockhart, Texas, she is surprised that the children of the town think the library is for adults. She vows to raise the money for a children's section and spends a week living and working on the library roof, even surviving a dangerous storm. With the help of the entire town, RoseAleta raises over ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Librarian on the Roof! A True Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Librarian on the Roof! A True Story

Start your review of Librarian on the Roof! A True Story
Cynthia Egbert
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Not gonna lie. This one brought on some tears. I love this story and I love this woman! It just gets me so charged up to read of people with that kind of passion about anything, but ESPECIALLY ABOUT CHILDREN IN THE LIBRARY. Don't think of this as a children's book, this is one that everyone should read.
Rebecca Douglass
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When I saw this book I just had to have it. RoseAleta Laurell is a librarian after my own heart, and one the Ninja Librarian would be proud to call a colleague! The story is pretty simple, and fully summed up in the blurb, and it's as delightful as it sounds. It is non-fiction, but reads like a flight of the author's imagination, and is charmingly told and wonderfully illustrated. I very much enjoyed Stephen Gilpin's illustrations, and thought they complemented the story perfectly.

There is a
Bill Baumann
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring and true story that will, in time, become a classic on the shelves of libraries in every town and city in Texas and hopefully, throughout our country. The story is simple and easy for children to understand--a dedicated, loving librarian sees a need and throws her heart and soul into filling that need. Casting her personal safety aside, she exposes both her person and dignity to the winds and has herself put on the roof of a small town library to "raise the profile" of the ...more
Angie
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic story about an intrepid librarian. As a librarian, I love these kinds of stories and this one is pretty good. The story is quick and I think kids will enjoy it. I love the fact that it is based on a true story...even if that does mean we shelve it in the nonfiction section instead of with the picture books! I thought the illustrations really did justice to the story as well. Good choice. 2012-13 Missouri Show Me Award Nominee.
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Love this beautiful ode to librarians especially to children's librarians everywhere! I can't believe I am just seeing this book now!
Kimberly
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This ia a wonderful true story of one awesome librarian! Her name is Rosealeta Laurell. With the help of her town, they were able to raise money for a childrens section in their library.
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: preschoolers/those interested in library events
Recommended to Sarah by: a journal
This book is just okay. Readers will admire the determination of the librarian RoseAleta, but it doesn't really excite me in any way.

When RoseAleta was hired as a new librarian at the Dr. Eugene Lark Library in Lockhart, Texas, she discovered that the library was very underused by the people in town (wouldn't she have learned this during pre-interview sleuthing about where she was going to interview?). The current staff seems generally apathetic, so she brings a new energy to the library
Dolly
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This story describes the lengths to which one librarian was willing to go to raise money for her library. When RoseAleta came to the Dr. Eugene Clark Library, she really livened it up, but realized that she needed more funds than were available to create a space that was appropriate and inviting to children.

She certainly took matters into her own hands and inspired the town to contribute to such a worthy cause. The narrative is short enough to keep a child's attention and fun to read aloud. The
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well, I never heard of this woman, RoseAleta Laurell, and her unusual efforts to raise money for the children's room of the library in Lockhart, Texas (the oldest library in Texas) until I read this book. I'm so glad King has retold this story! Wish I'd thought of her fundraising solution! Stephen Gilpin's illustrations lend just a touch of humor and excitement to the story, perfectly matching the character of RoseAleta. Makes me proud to be a librarian! Very inspirational. It should be ...more
Mrspam4ever
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mrs-pams-favs
I just read this book to three fifth grade classes, and they loved it! The teachers were impressed with it as well and everybody liked that it was an AR book:) I have only been working at the library for four months, and am inspired to be an awesome one just like the character in the book!
Christina Potter Bieloh
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful inspiring story about a librarian. It is a great example of what one person CAN accomplish! We enjoyed reading it together!
Viju
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Its a picture book

The story is ok for kids. Teaches about perseverance and determination even against opposition even if you are the only one doing something.
I did not realize going into this book that it was a children's picture book and that's why my expectations and reality didn't match. But still this book can definitely be read for all that I said above and indeed the illustrations are wonderfully done.
Adams' Country Retreat
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What RoseAleta Laurell did for this beautiful Library in Texas was spectacular! In 1989, she became the Director and decided to raise money for the children's section. In this book you will find out exactly what she did and how she did it. A true story about a woman that wouldn't give up until she had reached her goal!
Ann Haefele
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story based on true events. Makes me proud to be a librarian! Perfect illustrations in a story about an inspirational librarian who raised almost $40000 for the childrens room of a public library in Texas. ...more
Memory Toast
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves libraries, but especially anyone who thinks they're a place meant for children. A fun depiction of a real-life story about a librarian determined to make a difference!
Kelly Veatch
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I always love to read books about libraries/librarians! I would love to visit this library sometime, the oldest library in Texas. I love that there are librarians in the world that will go to great lengths to find funding for children's book and other resources.
Jamie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-ya
A true-story of RoseAleta Laurell, librarian extraordinaire, who took matters into her own hands and brought her community together in the process. Inspiring! The illustrations were too digitized for my taste.
Kathryn Bergeron
Summary: The librarian needs to raise money for her children's section. She takes her plea to the roof. She vows to stay up on the roof for a week to get donations.

Review: I actually really liked this. It shows hope and creative problem solving
James Bailey
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is based on the true story of RoseAleta Laurell. RoseAleta was disappointed in the lack of resources at the library for children so she decided to stay on the roof until enough money was raised to update the library.
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun retelling of a true story about a brave librarian who goes up on the library roof to raise awareness and to raise funds to improve the library, even braving fierce stormy weather. The children I read this to were captivated by the story, and also very worried about the librarian's safety.
Kris
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A great book based on a true story about a librarian who stays on the roof of the library until the community gets enough money to update the childrens section. It has fun art, an intriguing story told with kid appeal, and an inspiring bent. ...more
Susan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Librarians get stuff done :)
Heather McC
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Librarians are modern day heroes and champions who create spaces for people to gather and find information. We never stop fighting for equality, equal access, and a place in this world!
Jessie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shows the work a new librarian put in to revitalize an old library.
Salwa
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting read.
nevrstopsmilin
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
got to be honest...this one made me tear up. soooo good! i cant imagine not being able to go to my library! ...more
Heidi
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun and inspiring. Maybe I'm a little biased.
Stefanie Kellum
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love my library, but I'm not sitting on a roof for a week. Props to this lady though! Haha!
Gayla Hyde
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a true story of a librarian who was very dedicated. I enjoyed reading this and would love to even visit this library someday!
Oxalis
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world needs more great librarians like this one. I wholly enjoyed her story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Will Take a Nap! (Elephant & Piggie, #23)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!
  • Saturday
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah
  • Bug in a Vacuum
  • The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
  • Iggy Peck, Architect
  • Thelma the Unicorn
  • The Not So Quiet Library
  • Penny and Her Sled
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • A Very Big Bunny
I became a writer in the third grade, when my best friend started the illustrious Cat Courier and needed reporters to capture feline news around the Jeffersonville, Indiana neighborhoods where we lived. We sold copies up and down the block for 5 cents each.

I've held a few jobs since then. I've been a camp counselor, ESL instructor in Japan, and a registered nurse who has worked critical care,