Start by marking “A Cup of Coffee With My Interrogator: The Prague Chronicles of Ludvik Vaculik” as Want to Read:
A Cup of Coffee With My Interrogator: The Prague Chronicles of Ludvik Vaculik

A Cup of Coffee With My Interrogator: The Prague Chronicles of Ludvik Vaculik

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
These witty and ironical short essays in the classic Czech genre known as feuilletons, or chronicles, show Ludvik Vaculik's philosophy, honesty and humor. His work, in George Theiner's stylish translation, will evoke a powerful response today from English-language readers wondering how to think clearly and keep their values in confusing times.

Author of the radical 2000 Wor
Published September 1st 1987 by Readers Intl

To ask other readers questions about A Cup of Coffee With My Interrogator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cup of Coffee With My Interrogator

Mila
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: czech, nonfiction
This collection of chronicles written over the years of the so-called normalisation in Cechoslovakia is a fantastic immersion in the world of the dissidence. We experience with Vaculík the constant police searches and interrogatories, we get to meet Havel, Klíma and other signatories of the Charter 77 and to follow their conversations about arts, politics and freedom in Prague’s cafes.
The tone is down-to-earth, with a touch of dry humor especially when addressing grave topics such as police surv
Greg D'Avis
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Vaculik's always been sort of on my radar as a prominent Czech dissident writer, but I'd never read him until now. I have a taste for this sort of thing, obviously, but even so I'm impressed. I got this thinking it was one of his novels, but nope -- it's a collection of short pieces (here called "feuilletons," and we've all learned something today) on the life of a dissident in 1970s Prague.

By this point, it seems, the real fear was past and all that was left was a malignant bureaucracy, trying
Edward
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: lit-czech
Ludvik Vaculik's short essays are more immediate than his the writing in his novel "The Axe." Thus he is given to bitterness and cynicism of his situation rather than the dreamy reminisces that make his novel a pleasure to read. In one of these essays, Thus Spake Svejk, Vaculik speaks of freedom "...where there is agreement freedom doesn't come into it-freedom only begins where dissent begins." We find that this elusive freedom is that of personal choice and not just his choice to write. Without ...more
H
A CUP OF COFFEE WITH MY INTERROGATOR - LUDVIK VACULIK

One summer day, on a tram, I heard a little boy of about ten ask his mother: "Where is infinity? I mean, in our country?" His mother leaned forward to tell him, but I failed to hear what she said. From time to time I thnk of that boy and would like to know what has happened to him. Yes, he got it right, that was the proper question to ask: where do you find infinity, I mean, in our country? (120, in "Words..." Feb 1986)
Creag
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A background for the Czech dissident scene, written prior to '89.
Shavit
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very good. I'm usually not a fan of this type of writing, but how can you not like this collection.
Jason Waldrop
David Auerbach
Aug 26, 2007
Therese  A.  Brink
Apr 05, 2018
Ludvík Vaculík was a Czech writer and journalist. He was born in Brumov, Moravian Wallachia. A prominent samizdat writer, he was best known as the author of the "Two Thousand Words" manifesto of June 1968.