Start by marking “The Best Of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Best Of Sherlock Holmes

The Best Of Sherlock Holmes

Selected and Edited by David Stuart Davies

The Best of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of twenty of the very best tales from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s fifty-six short stories featuring the arch-sleuth. Basing his selection around the author’s own twelve personal favourites, David Stuart Davies has added a further eight sparkling stories to Conan Doyle’s ‘Baker Street Dozen’
Published 1998 by Wordsworth Classics (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Of Sherlock Holmes

Krystal
The most famous detective in literature, and an absolute delight to read about. The stories themselves are always fun, trying to solve the mysteries, but just exploring how this man's mind works is so much fun.

I love the short stories because they're easy to read at any time, and they stand alone easily.

This is a great collection because it really does include most of the more popular stories, and it's an easy win if you're looking for a quick reminder of why you love these stories so much.

If y
Jason Donoghue
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A four star rated book, it was a five but the storylines become predictable and tiresome to read. I find Holmes brilliant and the writing is truly amazing but all the storylines had the same ending which bored me.

I do think if the author started the story which a scandal in Bohemia and ending it with the final problem it would have been amazing. But he did not and the story for me ended with the same story repeating again and again.

Like most tv shows today they don't know how to end it correctl
Vasil Meg
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want it to end so I deliberately read it slowly...
Shaaer
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Needless to say why Mr.Holmes deserve a 5 star.
Barahir Gray
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind."
Szabx
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectivism
Simply great. You can't just put the book down for a bathroom-break
E.C. Newman
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed these, although I think the Red-Headed League was my least favorite. And as a person who has seen most of the modern adaptations of Sherlock, I'm pleased that his book self does not strike me as a jerk. Occasionally impolite or rude, but not a jerk. There's some adaptations that should take note.
Undrakh Ganzorig
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Glad to say that the number of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fans was increased by one half-insane book lover - that would be me :P. Not only his stories were so good : full of scenes that made me forget to breathe and anxiously skim to know what was gonna happen next , but also the writing prose of Sir Arthur was rather pleasant to read . 'The best of Sherlock Holmes' is exactly the book you will never regret for reading it instead of doing your homework :D
I've heard lots of compliments about the
Rachel
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful short stories! It's no wonder Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories appeared in The Strand for 40 years; you can't help but be riveted when Holmes starts to work his magic. And Dr. Watson, the perfect sidekick. The Final Problem and The Empty House are my favorites of this collection. The small bit of dialogue between Holmes and Moriarty in The Final Problem is simply outstanding. Did you know Sherlock Holmes never said 'elementary, my dear ,Watson.'? Ha! Can't wait to read ...more
Elise
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the short stories.
They are easy to read. And you keep on reading once you start with a story.
Now I understand why Sherlock Holmes is a classic. And why it got so famous!
Alyssa
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories is truly fascinating. It feels like a miracle every time Sherlock somehow solves it all while everyone else involved is still in the dark. A good read.
Auderoy Lin
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

FAV QUOTES:

I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and outside the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life. You have shown your relish for it by the enthusiasm which has prompted you to chronicle, and, if you will excuse my saying so, somewhat to embellish so many of my own little adventures.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

I
Kesi
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
I have been reading this book since the beginning of the year. It was a real pleasure to read this book. I'm a big fan of the Sherlock series and films so reading the source was just great. I also read a modern day version -A study in Charlotte- which was really fun to read.
Niklas Angmyr
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: privatpersonen
Liked it a lot. The mysteries is one thing, the langauge is another.
Sam Brown
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-2019-in-books
wonderful!!
rimbluebooks (Rim)
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
Loved it I didn't want it to finish
Sandy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Used for my class at the University of Minnesota - Deductive Reasoning, The Stories of Sherlock Holmes.
Tracy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice sample of stories. I think now I'd like to find a more comprehensive collection of Sherlock Holmes tales.
Carolyn F.
I read all of the Sherlock Holmes books/stories.
Diana
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime
5/5 stars ★★★★★

You know, one does not simply review Sherlock Holmes. It is an insult to the author and to the character. Holmes is so great, he is beyond reviewing. His name is so deeply engraved in the hearts of the readers and of the world’s literary canon, that my little, flimsy review would lose all significance to it. Holmes is not just a fictional detective anymore, his importance made him almost real, without ever existing in flesh. However, I will brace myself and present to you a critiq
Euisry Noor
I always love Sherlock Holmes stories. In this book of Woodsworth Classics edition I enjoyed the collection of twenty best cases of Sherlock Holmes along with an introduction by David Stuart Davies, the editor. Davies’ long essay talks about many things behind the success of Sherlock Holmes, how the cases in this edition selected, and discuss about plus and minus of every case.
It was a delight for me to read the story of a very long journey in which Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author, write Holm
Nik
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fiction the auther of the book is Conan Doyle.And the book itself is called The best of Sherlock Holmes.This book is more for the hight school students it has hard words in some places then it has very small lettersso u have to read very slowly.It was published in London 2008.And there are 459 pages but every small story has 110-136 pages.

.I read the story about The Speckled Band.This story is about a murder that happened in a house hold and any one can be the killer.But the main su
Shirin
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. There were few printing issues, such as the illustration wiping out the paragraphs and on page 168 on the last line, there was a reference of a stick as a Penang lawyer..no arguments from me there. They might be just that, but i can't help suspecting that it was more of a typo or error of some kind.

I have also been following the BBC mini series with Benedict Cumberbatch as the main character. The last in the 2012 series was about Holmes' death after what viewers would perceive as him
Harun Šiljak
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been my companion in the first weeks of living in a new city. Fate placed me in a city on the British Isles, and allowed me to read Holmes during long bus rides through the city and its suburbs. It wasn't too hard to imagine being in a hansom cab, and the streets we were passing would soon converge in Baker St. It might have been the power of the moment, but I doubt that it would be possible without the talent of Arthur Conan Doyle.

Stories selected in this anthology are proper repr
Alice Harbin
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful short stories, each a convoluted mystery, so typical of the Sherlock Holmes' mysteries. I discovered after the first story that the tale was somewhat familiar to me. After two more, I am convinced that I'd read this book previously, yet though I was anticipating each small turn in the plot, I could not recall the ending.
Well, I have a position that there is no sense rereading a book, because there are so many books to read. I'll hold onto this book though, because it can be a good wa
Rameen
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think this is a really good book it is mystery and partially adventure but if you have read a Sherlock Holmes book before tho shook might have some of the same adventures.
This happened with me but when i still read those stories they are all written on the same story line but have been explained or expressed differently but it is still a good book to read i would recommend it to anyone who likes mystery and adventure books even if you don't you should still try it!
Lisa
Mar 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love crime/suspense/thriller books so I should love Holmes. I really wanted to but I didn't which makes me sad and very frustrated that I don't get it :-( I found the stories monotonous. I didn't learn anything about the characters. Having a sidekick so the audience can learn what the main character is thinking is a common tool but badly written in this case as it's so obvious. Poor Watson. After only three stories I give up, so many books so little time etc :-(
Jaimin Dave
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The great novel made me read more of Sherlock Holmes. Again, I watched the movie before the novel. The good thing, the movie has nothing to do with this novel. I have always wanted to be like Sherlock Holmes, all his moves are so impressive. He remains the best unmasked superhero till date. This book is certainly worth reading for all Sherlock fans. And by the way, keep a dictionary, just in case!
Brian
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I read a Sherlock Holmes story, but they are still a lot of fun! From the book cover I learned that Arthur Conan Doyle was a medical student and was inspired to write these stories by a professor "whose reasoning abilities helped him determine the illnesses - and even the occupations - of his patients". I will aspire to be more like Sherlock Holmes in my epidemiologic investigations.
Amanda
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love reading the classics. I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. These stories always make me happy, and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes detective stories. Sherlock Holmes is one of the original and most well known detectives, and I still find myself shocked by the character every time I read of another one of his solved cases. Overall, this book is a great compilation of some of his best stories.

• Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories
  • The Mousetrap and Selected Plays
  • 100 Selected Stories
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Sherlock Holmes Was Wrong: Reopening the Case of The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re