Start by marking “Murder Solstice (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Murder Solstice

Keith Moray

Murder Solstice

(Inspector Torquil McKinnon #3)

Finlay McNab, curator of the Black House museum, is passionate about the Hoolish Stones, the ancient stone circle that has stood on West Uist for countless millennia. He has spent years trying to decipher the strange markings on the stones and is suspicious of the cult-like group that has taken over Dunshiffin Castle in preparation of celebrating the summer solstice. It se ...more
Hardcover
Published 2009 by Ulverscroft (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Solstice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Solstice

Start your review of Murder Solstice (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #3)
Matt
First and foremost, a large thank you to Keith Moray and Sapere Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

In continuing this unique series, Keith Moray leads the reader back to the Hebrides, where he recounts another Scottish police procedural/mystery full of local flavouring. When Dunshiffin Castle receives new inhabitants, West Uist is abuzz and not entirely for the right reasons. The Daisy Institute has made its presence k
Susan Wright
I found this a slow starter even though several bodies were discovered in the first few pages. That may just have been a result of not having read anything by this author before, as the pace definitely picked up as a read on.

Several interwoven threads and a host of possible suspects, with a few good red herrings thrown in meant that this story kept me guessing right to the very end.

Thoroughly enjoyable read, will definitely be looking out for other books in the West Uist series.
Jillian
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m very pleased to have discovered this series. The third one lived up to my expectations. Like the earlier two, this one manages to combine a strong sense of local landscape its characters worth engaging with, a puzzle or two and good writing.

It sent me off to find out more about the Hoolish Stones - a sign that the book had drawn me into its world.

I look forward to more!
Christine Douglass
have enjoyed all five books in this series. The characters are well drawn and consistent; the plots are interesting and the killers are not obvious. However, it is the sense of place that keeps drawing me back. Each time I pick up one of these novels it feels like returning to an inviting and familiar place--murders not withstanding. The magic of West Uist reminds me of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series--my favorite of all time. The setting is a reflection of the characters who are every ...more
Sherry
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A group of cult like people have taken over the castle, The Daisy Institute. It's headed by Logan Burns, a self acclaimed expert in reading the symbols on the stones found on West Uist. Also on hand is a dog fighting group and a team producing eggs laid by hens kept under deplorable conditions. Quite enough to start the bodies falling.
Also new to the island is Lorna Gilspoy, sent by Tonquil's nemesis, the always angry superintendent. Her job is to report back to him anything she finds that is ne
Cynthia Grove
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like 3.75 stars but that is being too pernickety.
A good read in a good series. I do find that the violence is pretty harsh but it shouldn't put prospective readers off as it is not dwelt upon at length and is appropriate to the story and the final denoument.
This is book 3 in the series and I had just read book 2. It's often a mistake to read two or more of the same series in quick succession and I think I may have enjoyed this more if I'd waited longer.
Susan
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dunshiffin Castle has been bought and made the headquaters of the Daisy Institute. Scholarly research group or a cult? But Finley McNab, museum curator, is suspicious. Inspector McKinnon are faced with investigating, some deaths, but are their suicide,accidents or murder.
Another enjoyable well-written read in this series. Also helped with having some very likeable and well-drawn characters
Diane E
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series

I am a binge reader of books I enjoy . This team headed by Inspector McKinnon is a close knit group who solve complicated and usually multiple cases much to the superintendents 's dismay . He's quite a buffoon . So a new age group , bad chicken farmer and possible dog breeder have problems .
Diane L. Woodbury
The series just gets better and better!

The characters make this series one of the best I've ever read, and in my many years I have done quite a bit of reading! The plots are also fascinating, and the setting makes all of it fit together very smoothly. I wish I had twenty more to read! Hint Mr. moray?
Susan Thompson
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Murders

More murders than Midsomer, the bodies are piling up, the Superintendent is not happy, Callum has a cub reporter to train and Torquil is in love. Enjoyable read onto number five in the series
Michelle Wilson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have just finished reading the first,three Torquil McKinnon mystery, great read, developing the characters well and lovingly. The mysteries are not so mysterious, but very entertaining. I’ll wait a bit to read Flotsam & Jetsam. Too much of West Uist might spoil it.
Kirk
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!

If you're a fan of good old fashion British crime stories, the you need to read the Inspector Torquil McKinnon mysteries. In the spirit of Agatha Christie, these books are so entertaining!
Catherine
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I’m hooked!

I’ve just downloaded ‘Flotsam & Jetsam’ as now I want to know what happens next - needed to read the first couple of books before I committed to reading the series. Now I’m hooked! There goes another Sunday....
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. This book became more interesting as it progressed.
Patricia
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Love the characters and the story!
Corinne
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-2018
A fun series of a light Scottish mystery set in the Hebrides of Scotland.
Bryan Edward
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can really tell that Keith Moray is getting better with each Torquil McKinnon book. My favorite of the three so far, this one is really well plotted and well written.
David Gilchrist
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters, the story I felt was a tad slow and finished with a rush.
Jill Stirling
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great island based mystery. Enjoyed the characters and the descriptions of the island of Uist.
Deborah Ross
Niamh Utangec
May 29, 2018
Terri Hayes
Jun 04, 2018

• Perdition (DI Munro & DS West #7)
  • Hour of Need (DCI Harry McNeil #4)
  • The Dogs in the Street (Dark Yorkshire #3)
  • Talion (DI Munro & DS West #6)
  • Murder on the West Coast (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #3)
  • Murder at the Pony Show (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #4)
  • Murder at the Old Cottage (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #2)
  • DEAD OF NIGHT: A Scottish murder mystery (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 3)
  • Terminus (DI Munro & DS West, #5)
  • The Quartet Murders (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Find the Lady (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 10)
  • Back to Life (DCI Harry McNeil #2)
  • She (DI Munro & DS West #1)
  • A Deadly Dividend (The Dublin Homicides #1)
  • The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes #2)
  • Murder in the Fens (A Tara Thorpe Mystery #4)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Three Little Pigs (DCI Kett #3)
Pen name of Keith Moray Souter, also writes as Keith Souter and Clay More. ...more

Inspector Torquil McKinnon (6 books)
  • The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1)
  • Deathly Wind (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #2)
  • Flotsam & Jetsam: What secrets will be washed ashore? (Inspector Torquil McKinnon Book 4)
  • Death In Transit: Murder most foul... (Inspector Torquil McKinnon Book 5)
  • Deadly Still: Is a serial killer on the island? (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #6)

News & Interviews