Start by marking “The Itty Bitty Kitchen Handbook: Everything You Need to Know about Setting Up & Cooking in the Most Ridiculously Small Kitchen in the World--Your Own” as Want to Read:

If your cluttered small kitchen makes you dread cooking even the simplest meal, it's time for you to reclaim that space--and your sanity!--with this practical and witty guide. Here you will learn how to:
*Purge your kitchen of unnecessary, space-hogging STUFF
* Maximize counter space
*Organize and streamline your kitchen for peak efficiency and easy cleanup
*Locate the
Published March 1st 2006 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Itty Bitty Kitchen Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Itty Bitty Kitchen Handbook

Start your review of The Itty Bitty Kitchen Handbook: Everything You Need to Know about Setting Up & Cooking in the Most Ridiculously Small Kitchen in the World--Your Own
Kayleen
Sep 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
There's an itty bitty bit of useful information here. Basically the author says you have too much STUFF in your kitchen, get rid of it. The word stuff appears in odd type faces to make it stand out, which just makes it annoying.

Silly me, I thought someone who grew up cooking on a sail boat and who lived in a tiny New York apartment might have some wisdom to share, at least wisdom beyond the obvious.
Jeannette
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I've got a small kitchen and I somehow manage to make it work for me. This book is for people who somehow can't get it right. It would make way more sense as an article in a magazine than a full-on book. There's not a whole lot of information that I found all that useful and even the recipes at the end didn't inspire me to cook (I mean, a recipe for cornbread using a cornbread-in-a-box mix? C'mon.) Last year Mark Bittman had an article in the NYT about essential items to have in your kitchen and ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Funny but pretty fluffy. His recommendations about essential kitchen tools leave a lot to be desired, and seem to be more product placement than practical advice. I did find that my apartment kitchen is a lot more pared-down than his boat. Pass.
Jessica
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
Not terrible, just not that much useful information. A lot of it read like an advertisement too, listing brands and stores for the "perfect" kitchen supplies.
Neligh
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone hating their crummy apartment kitchen
Shelves: homefront
More invigorating even than a spring cleaning, this book will turn your kitchen inside out and make it more functional and pleasurable than you ever thought possible. The book is organized around the following topics:

Purging Clutter (p.11-19)
"One of the most surprising things about presiding over a functional small kitchen is discovering how few things you actually need in order to accomplish the majority of your cooking tasks -and how creatively you can improvise when you haven't got much
Walter Underwood
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good, though it could use a couple of veg recipes. Absolutely worth getting from a library, even if your kitchen is only small.
Loren
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: diy, economics
I live in a cabin that is part of the small spaces movement for those committed to downsizing and living sustainably with the least impact on the environment as possible. That translates to the kitchen, bathroom, living room and bedroom all occupying the same space. I know a thing or two about managing space and a great deal more about cooking in such a cramped spot. That said, as innovative as my husband &I can be, I'm always on the lookout for another perspective because I'm certain ...more
Susie
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
I have the ittiest bittiest kitchen ever (complete with a half fridge!), so I was excited to come across this book in my library. Unfortunately, I didn’t end up finding most of the suggestions very helpful. For example, the author recommends only keeping as much flatware as you ever plan to use (so if you can’t feed more than four people, you should only have four forks, spoons, and knives) because otherwise the rest will just get dirty and pile up in your sink and take up space—but honestly, ...more
CKE387
The book starts with advice on how to get rid of STUFF when moving from a larger kitchen to a smaller one (like from a house to an apartment). Also it includes a list for equipping a kitchen properly including substitutes for large or expensive items. The writer includes brand names of products and websites which would be helpful for replacing large items or stocking a first kitchen. The book ends with entertaining in your itty bitty kitchen, including recipes and tips which help with timing to ...more
Gayle
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and I want this book, despite the fact that I have a ridiculously spacious kitchen, and I don' t really like to cook. Maybe I just like to explore an alternative path--what if?

When Spring thinks ridiculously small, he's thinking all the way down to closet-sized or little-bitty-boat-galley size, so he's really looking into space saving. And the recipes look like good ones for the person who's cooking for him/herself most of the time, doesn't want to devote every waking moment to
Ashley
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction
This is a relatively useful book, especially if you are new to cooking in a small kitchen (as I am). I disagree with the author on some of the things he deems necessary (e.g. mandoline, omelet pan) vs. optional (e.g. ladle), but the overall message of the first half of the book ("you don't need as much kitchen stuff as you think you do") is sound. The tips on entertaining in a small space are helpful, and the recipes look good, though I probably won't keep this out from the library long enough ...more
Stefanie
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I moved into my first apartment complex apt (just this Feb... yes, really.) I didn't know what the hell to do with my IBK (Itty Bitty Kitchen) after being spoiled for years with adequate spaces. Spring has helped me tackle both the physical and emotional aspects of this new space. With his help I have learned to love my uncluttered but much-used small space. This book also has some awesome and tasty recipes for your toaster oven... love it!
Elaine Nelson
A remarkably clever/useful little book about running, well, an itty bitty kitchen. We definitely have one of those. First half is tips, which I found useful. Second half is recipes, most of which can be done without even a full oven. I only got to make one recipe, a dead-simple quiche, but I loved it. I want to own this book, but it's out of print and weirdly difficult to find, alas.
Michael Zuzel
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
From our blog (http://cuisinestupide.com/?p=562):

"I found the book more annoying than cool (due to some terrible design and typography choices) and useful only to the extent that it’s extremely thorough in stating the obvious. (Really, an entire page detailing how to clean a toaster?) The book seems pitched mostly toward young people setting up their first kitchens."
Marissa
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Living in a 3 room apartment (and I don't mean 3 bedroom I mean bedroom, bathroom, and combination kitchen living room) I saw this book at my library and thought "Genius" and was glad to see it live up to my expectations. I will have to buy my own copy otherwise I'll just have to rent it every week and that simply won't do.
romney
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Split roughly 60/40 between tips for a small kitchen and the recipes. The kitchen in question is 45 square feet, so genuinely small. I found it useful - even though my current kitchen is somewhat larger. Very american - cooking units, appliances, etc. but much of the advice is universal.
Erin
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Super cute book on organizing kitchens. If your kitchen is filled with clutter -- regardless of its size -- this book is perfect for getting things in order.
Martha
Jun 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This has been a great cookbook/organization guide for a single apartment dweller like me who is a complete idiot in the kitchen.
Tisha
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Joy
Jun 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
hoping to learn how to organize and work in my galley kitchen.
Bradley
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2011
I love to cook but I have a highly nonfunctioning kitchen. This book helped me look at my kitchen in a different way.
Stefanie

• Hawkeye, Volume 2: Little Hits
  • The Laws of Simplicity: Design, Technology, Business, Life
  • The Light Brigade
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America
  • How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out)
  • Cinemaps: An Atlas of 35 Great Movies
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • The Up Side of Down: Why Failing Well Is the Key to Success
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
Justin Spring is a New York based writer specializing in twentieth-century American art and culture. He is the author of many monographs, catalogs, museum publications, and books, including the biography Fairfield Porter: A Life in Art (Yale University Press, 2000) and Paul Cadmus: The Male Nude (Universe, 2002). He has been the recipient of a number of grants, fellowships, and awards, including a ...more