Start by marking “Aliens In Space: An Illustrated Guide To The Inhabited Galaxy (Galactic Encounters)” as Want to Read:
Aliens In Space:  An Illustrated Guide To The Inhabited Galaxy (Galactic Encounters)

Aliens In Space: An Illustrated Guide To The Inhabited Galaxy (Galactic Encounters Series #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Great illustrations
Published 1979 by Intercontinental Book Productions

To ask other readers questions about Aliens In Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aliens In Space

Alex Sarll
Watching Brian Cox's latest series, he brought out a favoured book from his childhood, a fictional history of spaceflight 2000-2100 - already, as he noted, in large part invalidated. And suddenly it came back to me that I'd never had that (though it looked ace), but I did have something very similar. This, in fact. Whose author turns out to be a pseudonym of Stewart Cowley, author of Cox's beloved book. Apparently these works are considered inferior to those released under his own name. Perhaps ...more
Professor
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

One of my aunts gave me this sci-fi book when I was four. I loved the pictures but never read more than the captions until now. A series of profiles of worlds and their inhabitants from a future Federation of planets, it packs a surprising amount of world building in its scant 62 pages, along with beautiful illustrations. Makes me wish I was still running RPGs, it would be a great source of ideas.
Mike
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ssuspect many science fiction fans of a certain age will fondly remember the "Galactic Encounters" books from the 1980's. Caldwell cobbles together a collection of SF illustrations (mostly used previously as book covers) and presents them as a futuristic guidebook to the alien species and worlds of the galaxy. I admit the conceit is sometimes a little bit corny, but I love the imaginative "in world" feel of the book, as if was actually a reference work from a future century.
Kevin Hogan
I loved this series of Galactic Explorations books as a kid. I enjoyed this one now (hadn't read it before), although my copy of the book basically fell apart as I read it.
Timothy Boyd
If you always wondered what some of the critters in your favorite SiFi book looked like here is the book for you. Great art book. Recommended
Mark
Ville-Matias Heikkilä
Apr 18, 2015
007spyguy
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very good book with lots of creativity
Keith
Feb 02, 2013

Galactic Encounters Series (6 books)
  • Star quest: An incredible voyage into the unknown
  • Fantastic Planet
  • Worlds At War: An Illustrated Study of Interplanetary Conflict
  • Settlers in space: The fight for survival on distant worlds
  • Space Patrol: The Official Guide to the Galactic Security Force